Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Canyon Strive, Chain suck.
  • geelo
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve had my Canyon Srive for about a month now ands it’s suffering from quite a lot of chain suck issues.
    It happening when I’m changing gear from big chain ring to small. And also when I’m in top gear going down a trial. It’s sending the chain through the space between the frame and the big chain ring, on the bottom of the bike. Meaning you have to brake the chain and rethread it to get going again.
    Is anyone else having this issue.
    Other than that it is a good bike though.

wwaswas

I know some people frown but get all that ‘new chain’ grease off it and use a lightweight oil or wax lube.

also, those bionicon chainstay chain device things are supposed to be quite good at preventing chainsuck.

geelo
    Free Member

It’s been happening on 2 chains now. Mashed the first one up. I’ll give these bionicon things a look. Cheers.

khani
    Free Member

Check for bent/damaged chainring teeth, if one or more is bent or damaged it’ll hook the chain up and cause chainsuck,

nobbyq
    Free Member

hi I’ve got a strive and its never happened to me

nealy
    Free Member

It comes with a roller bottom chain guide so I don’t see what good a Bionicon guide would do. I’d also advise cleaning/degreasing the chain properly and checking for damaged chain rings

wwaswas

ah, if it’s got a chain guide then I’d look at chain teeth or guide alignment issues.

geelo
    Free Member

I haven’t Checked the chain ring teeth. Will do this evening. But I did try taking the jocky wheel off the chain guide. and the problem still occured. Even tried it with the chain on the wrong side of the jocky wheel. Didn’t help.

miguel73
    Free Member

Was just about to purchase the strive es 9! Is this something I should be wary of? Should I get the nerve am 9x that just has the basic double ring setup? Furthermore what’s the strive like, is it overkill for riding in the peaks/lakes?

geelo
    Free Member

It’s a fantastic bike. I’ve got the es 7. Climbs really well and when it goes down hill, it just floats. Not been phased by anything I’ve thrown at it.
    About the chain suck problem. Not sure if it’s a general issue.

rmacattack
    Free Member

got a zesty was doing the same. seems to happen when chain is dirty, so clean all old lube of your chain and use minimal lube beteween pins only. seems to help mine until another few weeks were u get the odd suck again.

trauty
    Free Member

hello. i am owner of canyon strive es 8.0. i had a bike for 3 weeks now. I can confirm that it happened to me too – twice . always when going from large ring to small ring. There is no need to break the chain though! all you need is 8 mm alen key to unthread silver nut in your crankset to unsack the chain and then retighten the nut. very simple . I am thinking of trying bionicon chainguide or shimano shadow plus maybe. for now i will ride it more and see how it goes. it seems to be ok now though. didnt happen to me for week now.

trauty
    Free Member

or alternatively go single ring setup 1×10 with maybe 34t ring and shed som,e more weight of bike 8)

trauty
    Free Member

make sure your chain is well lubriceted with good dry lube. it will help a lot. i applied some lubricant and since then no more chainsuck.
    http://www.diaryofamountainbiker.co.uk/chainsuck.php read this page . there is very good article about chainslap and how to prevent it.

geelo
    Free Member

I’ve found that putting a magic cable tie on the frame, and leaving the head of tie inbetween the frame and the bash ring stops the problem.

adrianmilleruk
    Free Member

I have a strive 9.0 with hammerschmitt and its awesome, hopefully no chain suck for me. I have had some really bad suck with previous bikes.
    The bike has worked perfectly as you would expect on any new bike. It climbs well only limited by my lack of fitness and extra weight ;-), there is no lifting of the front wheel on steep technical climbs although lifts effortlessly if you need to avoid that awkward bolder on a climb. I am still getting used to the hammerschmit attached to my bike but I can really appreciate how it works and its benefits on a rapidly changing terrain especially in a good trail centre. Its either in one gear or the other it can’t be in between. It clicks effortlessly up or down, down being the direct drive 24 chain ring up is Overdrive, the ratio is approximately 1:1.6, with a ten speed cassette you have all the gears you need. Maybe due to my lack of fitness I may swap the 24 chain ring for a 22 when I next need to replace it just to help on those extra steep technical climbs. On the other hand even on road downhill’s it rarely spins out.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have Zesty no chain suck. TBH I think it’s your set up. Maybe check hanger etc. something’s not right you shouldn’t have any chain suck. Means something’s broken,not adjusted properly or bent.

crundi
    Free Member

I’ve had a Strive for almost a year, no serious chain suck issues here. Great bike.

Pedal and Spoke bike shop (Peaslake, Surrey) mentioned someone had brought a Canyon AM in for a service. The customer claimed he had chain suck issues.

Just get the thing on a stand, lube and check for anything sticky! Simples.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive, Chain suck.’ is closed to new replies.