Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Canyon Strive 2014
  • jimmer111

Morning all

Has anyone ridden a 2014 Strive that can offer their thoughts on it? The review of the 2103 model (bikeradar) was not very impresive. it seems their main problem was the shock and fork.

It looks like the 2014 model (8.0 team) has got a monarch shock and pike rct3 in place of the fox stuff last year so hopefully this should solve the problems.

I have been looking at the orange 5 and alpine 160 but am struggling to look past the strive from a value for money point of view. Just wondering what it rides like.

Cheers

James

AlexSimon

Do you mean this one?
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3263

Looks like it’s sold out in S and M and 15 week delivery for L.
    Or have I missed something?

jimmer111

Indeed, well that is a bugger as it wasn’t sold out in medium last night!

AlexSimon

Did look amazing value for pike/reverb/X01/renthal
    The spectral AL 9 EX is similarly specced for a 16 week delivery, but obviously not as burly.

andytherocketeer

2103 ?
    That’s gonna be a long wait! 😉

Wouldn’t ever trust a bikeradar review. Only time I’ve seen someone give a 5* review and then a 2* review for the same item a few months later, and then have to give an excuse saying that the “market has moved on” (in a market with a 2-3 year model cycle). That and the review of the bike that suggested the reviewer didn’t have a clue about anything mechanical or how to ride a bike.

Canyon looks nice. Was always on my list, seen a few round here, but oddly, all the Strives seemed to be used as commuter bikes with lifty-uppy-downy posts.

jimmer111

Yes, that is what drew me to it. Great spec, should of just grown some and dropped the money on it rather than dilly dally!

I am wondering how they size, might be able to get away with a large.

Am not so keen on the spectral, as you say they are not so burly.

honourablegeorge

Have a friend who had a 2012 (maybe 2011) strive, loved it, bought a 2013 to replace, and as with most people who had 2013 Fox CTD Shocks/Forks, was not particularly happy. That lies with Fox though – read any review of a 2013 Fox CTD product and you’ll see the same criticisms – Fox just messed up. Despite that, he’s been flying on it – podiums in several Enduros. It’s a good bike, and better suspension will only improve it more.

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate has a 2013 Fox equipped Strive and loves it. However, he complained that the shock blew through its travel too easily and has fitted some tuning doughnuts spacer thingies that make the shock curve more progressive and ramp up at the end.
    He is very happy and the bike has been reliable.

jimmer111

Well

Following a few emails i have just ordered a Strive AL 8.0. Initially wanted the 8.0 team due to the rock shox fork and shock. However after emailing canyon (and getting very quick responses) the 2014 8.0 uses the 2014 fox kit so shouldn’t suffer the problems of the 2013 fox.

It is also a more suitable build kit for my riding being a double as opposed to the 1x11sram on the team. Have ordered some nano tech pedals and renthal fat bars to finish it off.

Best of all it is ordered from stock so should hopefully be with me early in the new year. Nothing like a christmas present to yourself 😉

I will report back on the bike once i have a few rides under my belt.

AlexSimon

nice one!

nickdavies

I’ve got one (8.0 team Large) – bit late to the thread to offer anything if you’ve already ordered it but bang me an email (in profile) if you want to ask anything. Good shout on the Fatbar upgrade I do think it benefits from the extra width.

Depending on your weight and how hard you ride it you might need to look at the rear shock, the frame does blow through travel still even with the monarch on the race. I find myself using the 3 position switch a lot. Not sure how the ’14 fox stuff alters that though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Strive 2014’ is closed to new replies.