Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 – anything better for the money?
  • dknwhy

Thinking of selling my hardtail (Scott Scale 960 – 2013) for a full sus as I mainly ride my CX bike for the local xc stuff and i’m heading to the Alps this summer.

Like the look of the Canyon but wondering if there’s anything else that i’m missing?

SirHC

Giant Trance, very impressed with mine, a true do everything bike. Your local Giant dealer can get them in to demo (unlike Canyon)

tacopowell
    Free Member

I have a 2014 model,
    Great bike, forks need properly setting up to get the sweet spot,
    Bike handles DH really well, climbing can be a little light at the front (which reminds me to adjusting saddle!)

I’m absolutely chuffed with the bike, Canyon are easy to deal with too.

Do it!

Question is what colour?!

I have the raw which is similar to the Polished of the 2015 model, Looks better then I expected but I’d personally go for the petrol.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dknwhy

I like the look of the Giant too but it’s not got a dropper post.

ichi
    Free Member
    v666ern
    Free Member

since were going euro…

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-granite-chief-1-275-2015/aid:767296

and you can configure every bit, dont like the fork change it with the bike configure tools.

Uk rep with demo bikes too…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rose-uncle-jimbo#post-6757243

SirHC

I like the look of the Giant too but it’s not got a dropper post.

Giant dropper can be bought for £135, I’d hope you could get a deal out of the shop. Reverb stealth’s are around £200

iainc

The Trance 27.5 1 comes with a dropper and is £2750. It’s on my list 🙂 Given that UK dealers may drop another 10% off it looks pretty good value IMO. The only part of the spec I don’t like is the daft chain guide !

ichi
    Free Member

Compared to other, larger, more established retailers Giant do have reasonable value but compared to the German online retailers not even Giant offers good value.

Of course there are disadvantages with buying the bikes online but I know with Rose, Canyon and Radon they do have shops you can visit to test their bikes, Radon is in Bonn and Majorca and Canyon and Rose are both in the UK now too. I’m not sure about YT.

Component for component there is no competition between these retailers and the established big players or boutique brands. That leaves the frame and overall design to question. Bikes from all the online manufacturers score very well in the press, Radon are probably the least well known over here but they are fairly large on the continent and get good reviews in the German press, plus their bikes are designed and welded in Germany.

In terms of All Mountain ive owned a Five, Alpine, Nerve AM and a Spesh Enduro I just bought a Slide 9HD, component spec alone is amazing for £2k and it’s the best bike I’ve owned in terms of its ability. But I was able to test one before purchase.

plyphon
    Free Member

I love how in true STW fashion someones asked “anything better for the money?” and everyone has replied with more expensive bikes.

The YT is arguably better but even that is £200ish more, and it more “enduro” that what I think the Spectral targets.

The Rose is cheaper to be fair, but has crap components.

v666ern
    Free Member

The Rose is cheaper to be fair, but has crap components.

This is true, but you can select what you want ie pike and dropper

i could have posted that winstanleys kona process for 1500 (but as lovely as it was to sit on it was a pauper spec in comparison to YT etc
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/66542/Kona_Process_134_2014_Bike_B14PR134MD?gclid=CjwKEAjw876oBRCYr86w6KGfpkgSJAACIidw1AtQRclveabEf3u6-hOBvTOhU6l8NymJ8pxvXC1RoxoCGSPw_wcB

on one codeine? 1500
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOCODX9/on-one-codeine-29-sram-x9-mountain-bike#customise

dknwhy

Thanks for the replies all. That Radon looks really good value!

Any views on the Vitus Sommet?

poey50
    Free Member

I can’t find a better bike for the same money but this is a better one for less money :D…

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-slide-27.5-8.0-238536/wg_id-7243

Oh … and you can have it in five days rather than wait a few weeks as you would have to for the Spectral.

I’m about to take delivery of a Radon Slide 29 9.0 … can’t wait!

Edit: Didn’t spot that this had previously been recommended … ‘great minds …’ etc

M6TTF
    Free Member

only thing that spoils that radon is the triple crank set up!

v666ern
    Free Member

only thing that spoils that radon is the triple crank set up!

isnt having a triple the best way to 1×10 as the middle ring is the best chainline?

poey50
    Free Member

isn’t having a triple the best way to 1×10 as the middle ring is the best chainline?

And the Radon has a Shadow plus rear mech so if you get a narrow/wide chainring to go 1×10 you shouldn’t need a chain tensioner.

But 2×10 also possible …

It’s such a high specced bike I wouldn’t be put off by the triple.

iainc

that Radon slide 27.5 looks a cracking deal at under £1500 – how much is UK delivery ?

What they like to ride ?

ichi
    Free Member

I got a slide 9HD last week, I paid a charge of £50 over and above the bike price, think that was partly for delivery. Bike came by DHL in a week.

Great bike to ride very good on the up for a150/160 bike, I think the high end are 160 and entry 150 up front. Seat angle good for pedalling, longish ETT, shortish chainstays and wheel base. 67 degree head angle which is perfect for 650b IMO. In the flesh the frames are gorgeous, almost straight TT with a hint of a hump like a Mondraker or Spectral, nicely curved downtube bit like a Giant but not so pronounced.

Crossroc wheels, monarch plus rc3, pike rct3, reverb stealth, guide RS brakes, x9 shifters, XO group with Carbon cranks. RF Atlas bar n stem just a smidge under 2k.

welshfarmer

While we are on German bikes. The Stevens offerings look good value too

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2015/index.php?bik_id=136&cou=BE&lang=de_DE

No idea if they can be ordered in the UK though 🙂

z1ppy
    tom200

Thinking of selling my hardtail (Scott Scale 960 – 2013) for a full sus as I mainly ride my CX bike for the local xc stuff and i’m heading to the Alps this summer.

Like the look of the Canyon but wondering if there’s anything else that i’m missing?

Apart from the alps trip, you are the same me! I will be spending an extra £100 on a 7.9.

Out of interest what are you hoping to get for the scale?

dknwhy

Struggling to find anything better priced then that Radon! Looks like a great bike for the money.

tom200 – Member
    Out of interest what are you hoping to get for the scale?

Probably around the £500 mark.

poey50
    Free Member

Struggling to find anything better priced then that Radon! Looks like a great bike for the money.

Go on … you know you want to!

dknwhy

Right, so I’m going to order the Radon next week. Before I do, is there anything else out there that I should be looking at? I can’t get over the vfm of the slide.
    Also, is it tubeless ready?

iainc

I very nearly bought the Radon last week on the back of this thread, as looking for a fs bike for when I’m not on my Soul.

It is amazing value, however for me just a little heavy and capable, as I ride mainly tecky natural stuff, with wheels firmly on ground 😀

I ended up with an Anthem SX, but the Radon is arguably better specced !

ichi
    Free Member

My 9HD came tubeless ready with the conversion kits included, email bike discount and ask they usually respond fairly quickly.

dknwhy

Cheers, I’ll drop them a line.

dknwhy

Radon ordered! And now the wait. I want it now! 😆

dknwhy

Had my Radon slide 8.0 for a couple of weeks now. Took it to Wales over the weekend to ride Penmachno and Coed y brenin.

I’ve also made the switch to flat pedals and I think that finally, my riding’s clicked into place.

I’ve ridden clipless and hardtails for years but switching to a more capable bike with a dropper post and flats has given me oodles of confidence. I thought that dropper posts were just marketing hype but I cannot believe what a difference it made to me.

As for the bike, it flatters my pathetic riding and is way more capable than I’ll ever be but gave me confidence to ride things that I normally wouldn’t. I’m very pleased with it!

renton
    Free Member

Post some pics up of it so we can seethe colour in the flesh.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Has anyone anywhere near Oxford got a slide? I terested to size one up..

AIfonzo
    Free Member

See post Canyon Spectral 9.9 fail

My Spectral didn’t stand up to the “car park bounce test”.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Has anyone anywhere near Oxford got a slide? I terested to size one up..

dknwhy

I’ve tried to post pictures but have lost the will to live with Flickr today and can’t grab the bb code from a tablet.

Here’s my best effort:

[/url]

My photostream has some other pics of the weekend if you’re interested.

dienamic

I’m considering a slide 8 for my next bike, what size is that and how tall are you?

dknwhy

It’s 18″ and I’m around 5’10.

scandal42
    Free Member

That looks like a really nice bike I must say.

Unbelievable value

dienamic

Thanks, I’m 6’2″ so will probably go for the 20″

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Spectral AL 6.0 – anything better for the money?’ is closed to new replies.