Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canyon Neuron First Look: A Very Rejigged Trail Bike
  • Ben_Haworth

What sort of bike is the new Canyon Neuron? The simple answer is: it’s a mountain bike. The more specific answer is: it’s a trail bike. A trail bike with 29in wheels with 140mm travel front and 130 rear.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

Canyon Neuron First Look: A Very Rejigged Trail Bike

onewheelgood

Striking similarities to the original 2016 Jeffsy. And the spec on the top model is fantastic for the price – a £2100 wheelset and a £1900 groupset. When you add up the component prices you’re basically getting the frame for nothing.

jimthesaint

It’s probably a typo but on the spec list it lists the rear suspension as 130mm

honourablegeorge

Shame they seem to have put hard compound tanwall tyres across the whole range, looks a really nice bike otherwise.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

DAAAAAHHHH!

Everything about that bike looks fabulous …..

Until I read that all the top end models come with electric stuff… WTAF. Why can’t manufacturers realise that a significant portion of riders do not want anything electrical on the bike apart from GPS and lights.

Give us an XT version with posh forks and XMC wheels for god’ sake.

seriousrikk

Looks like the Neuron I wish I had. Cracking bike spec and knowing how the current one rides it has potential to be the perfect bike for most of the UK.

Sadly it landed a few weeks too late for me, but still.

Ben_Haworth

Oops! It’s 130mm at the rear. Story amended now. Thanks for the spot!

chakaping
    Free Member

Integrated headset on the aluminum model?

Or could you pop a -2deg slackset in it and create a real short-travel shred sled?

thepurist

Why can’t manufacturers realise that a significant portion of riders do not want anything electrical on the bike apart from GPS and lights.

Luddites can surely whip off the foul elektrickery and sell it to (more than) pay for their trusty mechanical gears.

desperatebicycle

Ooh, I’ve got a 130mm rear 140mm front carbon framed all-rounder 29er from 2015! I didn’t realise that was still the sweet spot. I might keep it a bit longer 🙂
    Neuron does look nice.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Luddites can surely whip off the foul elektrickery and sell it to (more than) pay for their trusty mechanical gears.

But, but But…. I might electrocute myself 🙂

tomparkin

Surprising how much of a visual difference the straight v.s. curved seat tube makes.

The AL version I really don’t like the look of, whereas the CF one looks great (or would do with the aforementioned -2 degree slackset).

minus
    Free Member

Why can’t manufacturers realise that a significant portion of riders do not want anything electrical on the bike apart from GPS and lights.

They have the data on what sells, so I expect they assess that it’s not worth the extra SKUs to serve that market.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They have the data on what sells, so I expect they assess that it’s not worth the extra SKUs to serve that market.

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sure they do think that, but I’m only 70% in agreement with them. If they don’t sell the option they can’t have any data on how well it sells. Obviously they extrapolate from other data points, but I’m not sure how accurate they are.

Eg, if I took thepurists [ eminently reasonable] suggestion above, it would just incorrectly reinforce their view that everyone wants electric at the top end.

Or Snowbizz’s view that everyone that wants their holidays is happy to fly from down south.

Based on the Spec’s in our household, Spec’ would assume we love that godawful action man toolcase and Avid brakes. We don’t, but you can’t buy Spec’ bikes these days without the damn things.

Kryton57

Looks like Canyon made an Canyon Occam to me – same idea, similar HA, steeper SA, very similar suspension design.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

How you liking your Occam Kryt?

Mine still brings a smile every time I wheel it out of yhe bike room. Love it.

The weird thing is that the handlebar position and front geometry reminds me so much of my first ever MTB, a 1987 Raleigh Maverick.

Luckily it rides nothing like the Maverick 🙂

Kryton57

How you liking your Occam Kryt?

Mine still brings a smile every time I wheel it out of yhe bike room. Love it.

Same, its a great bike although I still can’t work out how its so comfortable without feeling the suspension move. I can’t wait for the trails to dry so I can push it harder!

vicksplace

In contrast, I prefer the aluminum frame to look at. In fact I liked the look of the aluminum women’s 7 so much I bought one!

fazzini

@vicksplace how are you getting on with the Neuron overall? I’m currently torn between the CF8 and the AL7!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.