Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Canyon Nerve XC vs The Passporte du Soleil – Will it Survive? ;)
  • cspeers
    Free Member

Will my bike be adequate for the event or will I die trying?

If its gonna be ok. I’ve decided to run some Maxxis High Roller 2’s 2.4inch wide to compensate for the travel.

Is my tyre choice suitable?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do you ride? Are you going to smash it round or ride like you normally would?

Furious

It will be fine. The passporte ‘course’ is a nice way to get round the area with some awesome views, it’s not that extreme IMO

Pezzers
    Free Member

Mate has one and lost the chain stay pin this weekend, this is the second time so make sure all your suspension bits are threadlocked in place.

Otherwise should be fine.

cspeers
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ll ride like I normally would I guess. I’d like to try some ‘bigger stuff’ without doing proper downhill courses obviously. lol.

All my mates are getting new longer travel bikes to go. 140-150-160mm travel and I dont want to be underbiked.

weeksy

More suspension does indeed ‘help’ but it’s not essential

I was quickest out of my mates, who are both usually quicker than me DH, simply because my 170mm travel bike was more suited on the Morzine runs.

However, both of them were fine on the PDS ride and fine in general on the riding.

Painey
    Free Member

Mate has one and lost the chain stay pin this weekend, this is the second time so make sure all your suspension bits are threadlocked in place.

I’ve got a Nerve AM and had this come loose several times now. It even begins to loosen up even with threadlock applied. I’ve said before that I was very surprised Canyon don’t threadlock these during assembly.

ads-b
    Free Member

Done it on a Klein Attitude back in the day. Im still alive.

Much more fun a my Specialized Pitch though. 140-150 would probably be perfect. There is a lot of pedalling around the swiss side invovled.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I saw everything from fully rigid to full on downhill bikes. I was on a 180/160 and felt a lot of the course could have been done easily on a lot less. The rest of the week playing on some of the bigger stuff I was glad to have more travel though.

andytherocketeer

blimey – we survived the equivalent of PPdS on a Soul and a 456 shod entirely with Highrollers.

OK a bit of bounce at both ends would have been nice. Probably 140mm but would 120mm would be acceptable too (at least for the kind of stuff I’d ride).

cspeers
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for your feedback. It sounds like i’ll be fine. I seriously cant wait to go. I’m so looking forward to the event.

You were supposed to tell me my bike was inadequate and I required a new bike though….so I could go and buy a shiny new one. Ha-ha!

BillOddie

You might want to fit a shorter stem, wider bars, thick dh tubes.

Bigger Rotors might be a good idea too.

shadowrider
    Free Member

I hope your bike will be ok, I’m doing it on a 120mm full sus, but I’m using dual ply minnions.

cspeers
    Free Member

Yeah i’ve upgraded to some wider Easton Havoc carbon bars 690mm I think and i’ve got a hope 90mm stem on too. I’ve also upgraded the wheels to Hope Pro2 hubs and mavic 717 rims and upgraded the brakes to Elixer 9’s so pretty tough tbh. All I need is a dropper post now. 😉

dantsw13

Mavic 717 rims are quite narrow for 2.4 High Rollers.

karnali
    Free Member

i hope so, i have a weekend in morzine in the summer and am taking the soul, i have shod it in a 2.4 chunky monkey and a smorgasbord ont eh rear

cspeers
    Free Member

What tyres would you recommend for 717 rims? Looking at the bumf on the side of the rims. It looks like it will take a bigger volume tyre as it can handle a higher PSi?

johnhe

For riding the whole way round the passportes, then the lightest bike possible would be good. I remember it being absolutely exhausting and I didn’t do the whole route.

For playing on the trails for several days, your bike will still be fine, but there is a good argument for something bigger.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve XC vs The Passporte du Soleil – Will it Survive? ;)’ is closed to new replies.