Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Canyon Nerve headset maintainance, who has replaced or regreased?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Year and and a half Canyon Nerves headset is feeling a bit rough so planning on inspecting,only had experiance of normal 1,8th headsets. Would like to fit a fit and forget Chris King but not to sure if this is going to be an option,anyone out there had any issues with the acros one which has had the same ropey feeling!

Rich

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My original nerve xc lower didnt last too long tbh.

This was the cheapest I could find: and whilst cheapest may not be what you’re looking for – it’s holding up well (touch wood etc):

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=439

(assuming tapered fork).

I seem to remember there wasnt the biggest choice in the world – certainly no Hope option, but Cane Creek also did one that fits.

I’m still on the original uppper.

williams
    Free Member

Same as above for me to. I got the superstars to, still on my original top bearing though.

postierich
    Free Member

just popped the forks out and the lower is a dry rusty mess going to give it a degrease/rust an attempt a resus! I take it its just a bearing sat in there? how do you press a new one in do you need a special press?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep just a bearing. I used the old ones outer race to tap in the new one. So you’ll have to improvise I guess !

postierich
    Free Member
    couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Don’t think so. That’s got cups that the frame doesn’t need. The bearing should sit directly in the frame.

williams
    Free Member

I just gently teased them in with a hammer and block of wood

Simon

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

@williams – out of interest – what bearing did yout get? What were the options?

postierich
    Free Member

Flipped the seal off and flushed the brown crap out with WD40, dryed the bearing out and added new grease! tis a bit better but will purchase a new bearing.Would it not be easy to install onto the fork then just tap in that way?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Would it not be easy to install onto the fork then just tap in that way?

Yep. Easier, but you’ll be beating it in using the inner race effectively. I’m no engineer but that sounds like a real bad idea to me. However that would prolong your spending plans by a few months. So – yep – go for it. It wont last forever.

nealy
    Free Member

Don’t knock any bearings in using the inner race as it’ll knacker them, use something that will press against the outer race like a large socket or block of wood cut to size. If the £8 bearing from Superstar fits then just get a new one.

robhenry85
    Free Member

mines gone as well, i did strip and regrease but dint last long

at £8 i’ll just get a new one 😉

joemcdaid
    Free Member

i fitted a hope 1.5″ set of bottom headset bearings to my brother nerve and its ran sweet ever since. the the hope cups wont fit but the bearing cartridge will. i tried to find a matching bearing cartridge after i measured it with a micrometer and contacted lots of companies including Canyon and Acros but to no avail, a tech at Hope came back to me though and said if i used their standard 1.5″ cartridge it would fit in the original cup that was fitted to the frame. i did and the rest is history, HOPE that helps 😉
    here’s the link to the bearing cartridge for the bottom one;
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71607

i haven’t replaced the top bearing so i can’t help with that one, but if you measure it with a micrometer you will be able to find a replacement.

williams
    Free Member

@coulda

I got the bearing from superstars as linked up near the top of the page. I think it’s a standard size for a bottom bearing of a tapered fork or that’s what I read somewhere.

Simon

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Cheers williams.

An a genius / chapeau tag for joemcdaid! That’ll teach me for relying on online specs 🙁

mrelectric

I’ve a Canyon Nerve AM 2011; no problems with HS at all. Am testing the new Works angled ones (see other thread). Acros bearings were perfect and a std size. Probs were with the pivot bearing, with a distinct lack of grease in the one’s in the replacement frame; just regreased these before assembly..

adamclark3956
    Free Member

Having read several posts about issues arising over the replacement of Canyon Nerve headset I was quite worried as I had purchased a 2013 Nerve AL 8.0 in October 2012 that came equipped with the Acros aix-03 headset.
    After just 3 months of winter use the bottom bearing started to feel a bit grainy.
    The size of the bearing needed for the replacement is 40x52x7mm with 45 degree angles. This bearing can be purchased from superstar components for £7.99 and is the type 2. I purchased one and it fits directly into the bottom of the head tube. It is an easy part to swap just be careful not to damage the head tube when you are knocking the old bearings out and make sure you put the bearing in the right way up. I have had this bearing in now for 9 months and it is still as smooth as the day that it went in.
    As for the top headset I have two solutions. I have tried and tested both and confirm that they both work.
    Solution one is the replacement of just the bearing. The bearing that is required is size 31x40x6.5 with 45 degree angles. I have found two places that sell this size bearing the first is on Ebay from Aire bearings I purchased model number MH-P03 30.15x41x6.5, ebay number 131004690933 for £4.74. As you can see the outer diameter of 41mm is exactly the same and the inner diameter is .15 smaller but I can confirm that this fits around the 1 1/8 steerer perfectly. I have had this bearing in only for a week so can’t comment on the life of it but the quality feels good.
    The second place is from Simply bearings product name Enduro ACB3645SS Headset Angular Contact Bearing 30x41x6.5mm Inner/Outer Chamfer, priced at £16.92 excluding Vat. I have not purchased one of these but have read on other posts that they fit. The only reason I did not try this was due to the price getting near to the cost of a new hope headset.
    To replace this bearing you have to remove the old bearing from the Acros plastic bearing cone being careful not to damage the cone. I found the bearing quite stiff to get out and ended up knocking the cone out as it was easier to remove the old bearing once out and clean the old cone. I then re inserted the bearing cone and tapped the new bearing into place.
    Solution two is replacing the whole top headset. I did this by using the Hope pick and mix type 2 which is 1 1/8″ Integral – ZS44/28.6 this was £28.80 from Wiggle.
    To fit this headset just remove the old Acros plastic bearing cone containing the old bearing the same as when I changed just the bearing and clean the head tube.
    I lightly greased the new Hope headset cone and lightly tapped it into place using a rubber mallet.
    Then put the hope bearing into the cone and re assemble.
    I only used one of the three shims provided as two left a very small gap
    The new hope headset fits perfectly and is super smooth. The whole job from start to finish took around 20 mins and come be done easily at home. The tools that I used was a 5mm allen key, flat head screwdriver, rubber mallet and grease.
    The only reason I ended up replacing the whole headset was that I ordered both the spare bearing and the headset at the same time and tried both to see which worked.
    I hope this has cleared up some confusion and helps fellow Nerve owners.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Adam – welcome to the forum!

I recognised my old posts and instantly thought you must be a-spamming us, but obviously not.

Quiet the opposite: really – that kind of detail will get you friends round here!

Just maybe add an extra CR/paragraph here and there 😉

postierich
    Free Member

cheers for the info just recently changed my bottom bearing again!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Canyon Nerve headset maintainance, who has replaced or regreased?’ is closed to new replies.