Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cantilever Brake Springs
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just trying to pull together a hack bike out of old bits. Unfortunately the frame isn’t disk compatible so I’m needing to use an old set of cantilevers. Unfortunately the springs are knackered.

Are these readily available in the LBS, I can’t seem to find any cheap online. Can’t really be bothered forking out for new cantilevers either…

Ambrose

I’ve got loads here going free if you want to come and collect. I’m In Carmarthenshire, about 20 mins from the M4.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but based in Edinburgh!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

tp, I’ve got a box full of V brakes if they are any good to you.
    Not sure about the levers, happy to take a look in the depths of the old parts drawer and post parts to you. No charge, I’d be pleased to free up the space and for someone to use them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thats very good of you Peter. I’m not sure V brakes work with my canti levers (i read somewhere different pull ratios – perhaps someone can confirm) but if they will work or they have the springs I could salvage (or the levers to go with them!) then that would be awesome.

If you can let me know what you have I will happily cover postage.

ta

nickthegreek
    Free Member

I did up an old GT a few months ago and had the same problem. I used these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANTI-LEVER-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-CYCLE-BRAKE-ALLOY-FRONT-REAR-NEW-/350757976937?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item51aacdfb69 as it was easier to get the whole lot and they include the pads. Much cheapness.

Ta

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I’ll dig out what I’ve got and post pictures here. Will be tommorow now.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Tim,
    Here are photos of the brake parts from my old parts drawer.
    Only one set of cantilevers but the springs are there and a set of levers. Two sets of V Brakes are XTs and loads of washers, cable guides, bolts to cobble them together.

Hope pictures are self explanatory, yours if you want them, just let me know.

tpbiker
    Free Member

That would be awesome, I could definitely cobble something together out of that lot. Can you mail me at timpayne1976@hotmail.com and I can arrange postage

ta

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Tim, just emailed you.
    If you can reply with your address I’ll get the box of parts in the post to you.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Tim,

Posting here incase you didn’t get my email.
    Let me know if you want those parts with an address and I’ll get them in the post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cantilever Brake Springs’ is closed to new replies.