Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • can`t see a puffer weather thread so here it is
  • trout
    Free Member

ok you locals to the puffer what are conditions like in the run up .

looking on Metcheck and it looks an interesting forecast.

scotroutes

Solid ice on the main climb.
    Wet earlier today but below freezing now.
    Snow already falling lying in various parts of the Highlands tonight.
    More expected over the next few days.
    Warmer again over the weekend (too far out to say when).
    Spiked tyres are currently looking mandatory for at least the start.

I believe there are lots of places now available 😆

epicyclo

Saturday was slithery and I was on ice tyres, but I only did one lap, and that was the old course. There were folk getting around with ordinary tyres, but from what I heard they’d nearly all had falls.

It’s warmer now and most of the ice will be gone.

However, it’s wet, the ground is still very cold, so if we get more rain followed by a freeze, we could see some of the best slick ice ever. However, there’s nearly always a line without ice after a couple of laps.

That will be coupled with awesome mud in the sheltered “warm” hollow bits.

Which is why I have built up a bike specifically for ice – just in case.

If you have ice tyres, take them, and hopefully you won’t need them.

I suggest comprehensive mudguards rather than splashguards – it’ll help stop slushy spray sucking all the heat out of you. Every watt lost to keeping warm is a watt not turning the pedals.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    metalheart
    Free Member

I’m about 15 miles away.

Turned white outside since getting back home about 7pm… just sayin….

trail_rat
    Free Member

So fitting winter’s to the van and procuring snow chains was sensible ? 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

I’d keep them handy! Felt the car skite a wee it despite it being +1 deg C on the way up the road….

epicyclo

It’s turned white here since my last post. Quite a drop in a short time.

Woo Hoo! Could be fatbike funday tomorrow.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If your roomsters skitibg. On my current tiresi wouldn’t even get into the bottom carpark with the van.

3.5 ton and 1 all terrain tire atm……

So fitted 4 bfg all terrains to alieviate this minor issue

metalheart
    Free Member

It was pretty much clear on my way home, just a wee bit of ‘huh’ going round an exposed corner. Temp was dropping and rain had washed the grit off I guess.
    Not that much here, just enough to cover things white 😀

epicyclo

Forecast looks like snow all day and more tomorrow.

It’s looking like it’s going to be a good ‘Puffer.

Don’t miss it. 🙂

tjagain

scotroutes – Member

……………….

I believe there are lots of places now available

Noooooooooooo don’t say that. I now want to enter it again!

munrobiker
    Free Member

TJ – their website was saying last week that everything was sold out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Loads of places going on their Facebook pages over the weekend there

tjagain

*puts fingers in ears*

NewRetroTom

Get excited! It’s going to be snowmageddon strathpuffer!

‘Puffer #13 was always going to be special.

bedmaker

I live about 10 miles East of Puffer central. IT’s worserer as you head West apparently 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23tfLPw]

nstpaul

Well where I live I can look across the firth and up the strath to Strathpeffer/ swivel seat area, looks awwfy white on ground and nice heavy snow clouds heading in from the west!

tomd
    Free Member

I bedded in my ice spikers at the weekend. I was going to switch back to normal tyres but now I’m not so sure! I’d forgotten just how horrible and draggy schwalbe ice spikes are, even on the road it always feels like uphill. Not overly excited about 24 hours on them.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If it stays like that you’ll want plus tyres. Glad I have my Stache ready to go as well as my normal bike.

scotroutes
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Poke plus. If its a decent amount of snow it’s mud tires you’ll want 🙂

Will have to be a fair amount of snow before I consider taking the fatty to a race.

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    Poke plus. If its a decent amount of snow it’s mud tires you’ll want

Will have to be a fair amount of snow before I consider taking the fatty to a race.

The fatbikes aren’t so good in the deep mud IMO but they’re hard to beat for when you’re knackered and stupid – they cover up a lot of clumsiness.

I intended to set up a plus bike but the rims still haven’t arrived.

I suppose I could ride my Surly 1×1 which has Dirt Wizards, but it’s a heavy bit of iron to push around for 24 hours.

Plenty snow here in the higher parts of Dingwall and it’s still coming down. I’m heading out on the fatbike now – won’t be going near the ‘Puffer though, there’s more fun higher up on the Ben when it’s like this. 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Been more snow overnight (way in was fun – all seasons as opposed to winters). Been snowing in the Sneckie most of the am. That wet ‘quaver’ flake kinda thing…

trail_rat
    Free Member

youd be better with my merida brian…. unltra light weight walking bike. easy to lift over the bumps. terribly unfashionable too 😀

way in was fun – all seasons as opposed to winters

when i said i put winters on the van….. i went the whole hog.

(disclaimer – not my van thats far too posh looking)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think the Adventure Show are covering it again this year.

scotroutes

They cover it every year. TBH they should give it a rest and spend their time on something else. I suppose it’s relatively cheap for them as it’s in such a confined area. I don’t think they’ve ever beaten the year they had the drone coverage.

Phil_H

Didn’t see the adventure show there in the last 2 years.
    I think the 10th anniversary was the last one they covered

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    youd be better with my merida brian…. unltra light weight walking bike. easy to lift over the bumps. terribly unfashionable too

Sounds perfect. Presumably it would it make me as fast as you. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cock and bother.

Tires have been delayed.

Which in turn means my snow chains won’t fit.

Oh well…. The bottom of the hill it is 🙂

swavis

scotroutes – Member
    They cover it every year. TBH they should give it a rest and spend their time on something else.

I don’t think they’ve been there for the last couple of years for just that reason.

Looks like it could be a fun one, I shall enjoy watching it live with a beer in my hand 😈

simondbarnes

Has TJ entered yet?

munrobiker
    Free Member

trail_rat – bottom of the hill is where we’re partying 8)

Swavis – are you “watching it live” with Devs and Roberta, or watching the results at home?

TJ – Big Al was offering to pit bitch if you do enter.

epicyclo

Local conditions.

Snow perfectly rideable on normal bike at the moment.

Woody
    Free Member

Another few inches last night since this pic was taken. Very fluffy light powder and I’d be more inclined to get the ski’s or board out 😀

I’ve posted on the ‘puffer’ facebook page but just to let anyone looking for a warm refuge before or during the event, I’ll be putting on a chilli and a chinese curry with any local bottle of beer for £8.50 on Friday night. Log burner always on. Beer garden might be a bit chilly at the moment. Inchbae Lodge Inn

bigjim

I must have driven past Inchbae Lodge a hundred times or more, it’s so close to my folks’ house I’ve never stopped though. Quite a place to live, do you run the place? There’s a ruined house a bit further west that I’ve always thought would be nice to do up.

Woody
    Free Member

Hi bigjim. We have just taken over in the past month and one of the things we are trying to do do is get people to come in instead driving past 😉 Signage has seen better days (on the urgent to do list) but inside is now very cosy with a snug bar and log burner in the lounge. Draught beer will be here in a few weeks but we have a very good selection of local beers, a Guinness surger unit, 50+ whiskeys and 15 gins. It’s ace!

richpips
    Free Member

Hi bigjim. We have just taken over in the past month and one of the things we are trying to do do is get people to come in instead driving past Signage has seen better days (on the urgent to do list) but inside is now very cosy with a snug bar and log burner in the lounge. Draught beer will be here in a few weeks but we have a very good selection of local beers, a Guinness surger unit, 50+ whiskeys and 15 gins. It’s ace!

I don’t think we’ll call in this weekend, but we’ll endeavour to call in (again) when we do the Highland Trail 550 in May.

Woody
    Free Member

Excellent. Look forward to seeing you then.

bigjim

Cool well good luck with your new venture, if you can cream off some of the horrible NW500 traffic that should help and they seem to have quite a lot of disposable income! I will try to pop in some time on the way back from Assynt

NewRetroTom

Any updates from the locals? I see there are more snow showers forecast for the next 24 hours….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘can`t see a puffer weather thread so here it is’ is closed to new replies.