Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Can’t get STW on my IMac using IOS – any ideas?
  • Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

On Chrome ATM – STW works fine on my Ipad, Macbook and Iphone but not on this Imac(running El Capitan)
    Any suggestions as to why?

johndoh

Try opening it in an incognito window to see if an extension on your browser is causing the issue?

Premier Icon wobbliscott
    Subscriber

I suspect its because you’re running a 5 year old version of the operating system, which in computer terms is archaic. It’s running fine for me on the latest and greatest version of the iOS.

Any reason you can’t or wont update the iOS? have you tried different browsers?

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Think someone else posted this over the weekend. Looks like the security certificate for that version of Safari has expired IIRC. Try a different browser.

Also, you’re not running iOS on an iMac.

Premier Icon lucky7500
    Subscriber

I suspect its because you’re running a 5 year old version of the operating system, which in computer terms is archaic.

Almost certainly this. I’m using a macbook running Yosemite 10.10.5 and safari version 10.1.2 and lots of sites, including this one, don’t really work. It’s fine with firefox though.
    In my defence I haven’t updated because the macbook can’t handle it, which isn’t that surprising considering that it is pushing nine years old!

Premier Icon fatoldgit
    Subscriber

I’m having similar issues on a greater and greater number of websites using Safari on my old Mac ( 10 years ish )

Safari refuses to load them but Chrome works just fine

I have tried updating the OS but am stuck as my machine is not compatible with the latest OS

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I’m running El Cap and Chrome on a Mac Mini with no problems on this (or any other) site.
    I have to keep El Cap on one machine as a client runs old versions of Adobe and won’t update across their 8 employees since it went to a subscription method. SO I have one machine up to date and one ‘legacy’ machine.
    Grrr. But the client does help pay the bills.

Premier Icon mikejd
    Subscriber

Can’t get it on my Kindle Fire HD with Silk either. Reports privacy issue.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Just run a different browser, Firefox or Chrome, see if that works. It’s inevitable that updates and upgrades to operating systems will run up against the limitations of elderly machines. Where I used to work they’re still using a Mac G3 Anthracite and grey tower that I used at a previous employer to that, IIRC it was made in 1999 or 2000, it’s used as a mail server, and for running some legacy printer software. My Mac Mini is one of the last 2010 machines, with an optical drive, which I had taken out and a second HDD put in. I don’t use it for much more than my music storage and player though, my iPad and phone do for my computer needs. I tend to use Brave, Firefox and DuckDuckGo on my iOS devices, as well as Safari with DuckDuckGo as search, with Chrome on the Mac. It’s true that even those old Mac OS still get security patches, I think I’m running El Cap, although I’d have to check, I don’t use it that often.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Think someone else posted this over the weekend

href=”https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-not-loading-on-2008-macbook/”>That was me here, hope it gets fixed as its a pain switching browser windows

Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

cheers all

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

That was me here, hope it gets fixed as its a pain switching browser windows

If the above is correct and it’s down to the browser being five years old, I doubt it’s something that will ever get fixed. The issue has a very simple, sustainable workaround which is “use a different browser” whereas any potential fix by STW could be greatly time consuming and risk breaking something else, assuming it’s even possible and it’s not something Apple has knobbled. I can’t see how it’d be worth the effort. I’d posit that the only way this is likely to get fixed is by accident.

There exists a list of supported browsers, I’ve asked Tech for an updated copy.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

If thats the case then why does every website in my bookmarks/favourites work fine with safari yet stw doesnt? – even the tiny one person hobby websites?. I’m sad so yeah, i did check every one of the 832 i currently have. Just asking not having a dig btw.

Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

It’s only happened over the last day or so and hasn’t followed an update or anything- I understand that its an old browser but it’s suddenly stopped showing STW and nothing else.
    I’ll see if the IMac will take a new OS update but I doubt it and whilst I can of course use Chrome (and am ATM) it would be easier not to

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

My old android phone (kitkat) wouldn’t load STW on Chrome on Saturday due to a certificate error. It wouldn’t even let me override it. Firefox worked. On Sunday, the certificate must have been updated and it worked fine. So there may have been problems with other OS / browser combination as well.

I’d be looking at the exact reason it won’t work, or symptoms of not working, ie, just blank screen, or an error message.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

This is what the screen showed when attempting to use safari

So i guess it is a certificate issue

Premier Icon stevemorg2
    Subscriber

I’ve been getting the “this connection is not private” page on a few sites – not STW though

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

@somafunk that’s similar to the error I saw on my old android Chrome on Saturday. I think it’s something to do with the way the certificate is installed on the STW server; a bit of Google searching suggests there may be an expired certificate somewhere in the chain that needs to be removed, but I’m not an expert in this.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Right. So it’s not that it doesn’t trust the certificate, it’s that it doesn’t trust the certificate issuer. This is by design, the reason is documented here:

https://support.sectigo.com/Com_KnowledgeDetailPage?Id=kA03l00000117LT

Basically the certificate provider – not STW – has dropped support for legacy browsers which don’t work with modern encryption methods.

You might get away with updating the root certificate in your browser. See the root cert download at the bottom of the page here:

https://support.sectigo.com/Com_KnowledgeDetailPage?Id=kA01N000000rfBO

How you go about installing root certs into macOS / Safari I don’t have the faintest idea, google it. This should fix it I think, I have no way of testing it and Sectigo seemingly don’t exactly produce layman-friendly KB articles.

But really, this support has been dropped for a reason. The real solution is that your browser is old, insecure and generally shit and you should stop using it, it’s not like there are no alternatives available. The modern web requires higher security standards which your browsers do not understand, this is a good thing an a trend which will only increase. I would strongly advise you to just let a years-old browser die and move on, its time has come. (Hell, even modern incarnations of Safari are idiosyncratic…!)

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Also,

Do Macs not have a “print screen” button? Jesus. I thought that’d be standard equipment on a computer designed for art students. (-:

Premier Icon wobbliscott
    Subscriber

Why would an art student need or want print screen? The quality is nowhere near good enough, anyway you can print screen, it just needs a sequence of buttons a bit like a special move on Street Fighter.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

🤣

Uh, legacy reasons?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.