Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cant decide, really looking for a Scottish Highlands multi day bike thats…….
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

capable of taking a Bob Trailer on back pack free wobbles into gods own country (sorry beer oclock).

Seriously looking at the Genesis Caribou fat bike, Its a bit heavy but I really love that green colour, and seems to have a QR rear axle meaning the trailer will fit.

Or should I go for a hard tail 29er plus size bike offering speed and a more efficient ride? Or indeed are there any other bikes out there that are more suitable? Budget is around £1000

cozz
    Free Member

aren’t caribou about £700 at the mo – or £799, saw them somewhere on the web at that

found large at £749
    https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m1b118s5p40350/Genesis_Caribou_2016/RS_GB/103753?gclid=CODt_73P3tICFYUp0wodHDwDSg

postierich
    Free Member

Gav borrow my Singular Puffin it needs riding 🙂

When are you heading up ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Have you tried a Bob trailer in a few places? I find them incredibly limiting.

tjagain

Interesting scotroutes – I find it much better handling than having the luggage on the bike up to the point you start to hikabike a lot

Waderider
    Free Member

Bob trailers don’t work in the hills. Try a rack with a sleeping bag etc. in a stuff sack plus a small rucksack and think light.

tjagain

They do for me waderider. Only obviously if carrying full camping kit but when I am solo or tandem I much prefer the bob to luggage on the bike. Lower cog, less wind resistance and no real issue with riding it until as I say you reach the “hauling your bike thru a bog” stage.

oink1
    Free Member

Whatever your baggage hauling preference – go for the fatty! You’ll not regret it IMO 🙂

core

Genesis Longitude B+?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just building up a secondhand Cotic Solaris mk 2 frame. It has a QR rear and can take plus tyres up to 2.8in.

Not ridden it yet obvs, but they are apparently very versatile and popular for bikepacking as well as actual fun riding.

😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Postierich I may take you up on that, I have done the borrow dale bash and the Qurang single track on Sky with a bob trailer no worries 8O, although realistically I will be following the Lochs and glens in the central to western highlands I quite enjoy researching the routes to make sure its passable.

I know the fat bikes can be a bit ponderous, dare I say it slower compared to conventional bikes I might go for a 29+ set up as it is closer to the cross bikes that a few friends have,not really sure what I want yet.thanks for the replys

postierich
    Free Member

When are you heading up Gav?

rene59
    Free Member

If you can find a second hand surly krampus I recon that would be ideal.

roverpig

I know the fat bikes can be a bit ponderous, dare I say it slower compared to conventional bikes

I think it’s largely a myth that fatbikes are slow. It is true that a lot of the fat tyres on the market were designed for riding on snow/sand and are indeed slow and ponderous on regular trails. But stick a trail tyre (like a Jumbo Jim) on and they seem to skip along as well as anything.

kcal

.. just make sure the route doesn’t have multiple gates and obstacles. getting a laden bike with luggage must be bad enough (eh @scotroutes) but with a BOB trailer or similar — eek!

kcal

(double post, Gateway timeout, sorry..)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d question why you need a trailer.

My wife and I did a trip at New Year that was basically Dalwhinnie – Loch Garry – Loch Rannoch – Ben Alder and back. We stopped in the bothy at Ben Alder Cottage but took tarp and bivy bags with us in case we had to camp out. There’s pictures in my trip report. We had winter sleeping bags plus duvets and a couple of days’ food, no need for a trailer. We both had Camelbaks but they were nowhere near full.

postierich
    Free Member

trailers look more adventurous 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

trailers look more adventurous

I take it you’ll be using one on this year’s JennRide then Rich 😉 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cant decide, really looking for a Scottish Highlands multi day bike thats…….’ is closed to new replies.