Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can’t decide on new road wheels.
  • akira

Ordered a Shand Rizello Disc and need to decide on wheels. Going for mid deep section carbons for all round usefulness. But you much choice, down to Scribe 42 wide, Hunt aero 50, Hope RD40 or Cosmic Carbon TDF. Anyone got any anecdotes about ownership?

mrb123
    Free Member

Have you considered Chinese carbon? Light Bicycle and Farsports have a great reputation and you can spec whatever hubs you want.

If you would prefer to deal with a UK supplier have a look at Spokesman handbuilt wheels. His carbon builds are competitively priced and again, you can choose your spokes and hubs.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I had Lightbicycle build some dt350’s on a 36mm deep rim that has internal on 21mm using cx-ray spokes, all in delivered to UK for £700. they are fantastic wheels for the money and have done several thousand trouble free miles this summer.

To give some context, I also own a pair of Roval CLX32 which retail at £1800 and the LB’s are as good I’d say.

I think the Hope’s are heavy and nothing special for the money, the Hunts seem to get good reviews but again, the hubs and spokes seem to be the let down on them.

Also my opinion is that much over 40mm is a pain for day to day riding, they really catch the cross winds, so for me the 32-36mm is a sweet spot.

akira

The Scribe wheels are appealing. 42mm deep, extra wide and interesting freehub design. Plus light.

Ewan
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – that sounds similar to what i’m after. Do you know the model? How did taxes / duty work out?

rezis
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Just Riding Along (JRA) Mahi Mahi 40 mm deep carbon disc wheels for about the last year and very pleased with them. Built in York and £850 the pair built to your specifications. Use Bitex hubs and Sapim spokes.

Support was also good when I wanted to change the hubs to thru axles for my new bike. Its another option to think about!

akira

Though about the JRA 50mm, might email them about weights as not on the website.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – that sounds similar to what i’m after. Do you know the model? How did taxes / duty work out?

You just ask them for a quote on a custom build and they build a price for you. I used the AR36 rim. They can do a pre paid tax shipping option now so no duty to pay at this end. I paid about £40 vat/fee but they had marked down the value to $200.

infidel
    Free Member

I have a set of lightbicycle rims on my Domane – 46mm deep, 28 wide external and 21 internal, on Novatec hubs. I’ve had them a year and a bit and am very happy with them. My summer bike has Reynolds Assaults and the only difference is that the lightbicycle rims are much much much easier to mount and unmount tubeless tyres on. I have had a set of the LB rims on my Nicolai for years with no exploding splinter death.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can’t decide on new road wheels.’ is closed to new replies.