Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Canon SLR reliability
  • toby1

Just to get some feedback from you all really.

Had a 700D from new in December 2015, got halfway through a US trip and the shutter jammed, no amount of trying would sort it out, so ended up buying a new US model so we could still take pictures while on holiday.

Original unit has been returned and refunded by seller, no problem there so far, but the new US version we have the touch screen no longer responds, have checked all the menu settings and it is on. This is the same as the 700D but with the US name, Rebel xti or something.

So am I just having a bad run, or are others with newer model SLRs from Canon finding problems too?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve had a 350d, 500d and 760d – no problems whatsoever with any of them, even after dropping the latter one twice.

How well do you treat your cameras ? Are you *sure* you haven’t turned off the touchscreen function ?

toby1

Also had a 400D – it’s still working strong and I’ve never had a problem with it, hence the confusion over whether or not it’s the later models.

Treatment-wise they are well looked after, always stored in a decent bag, no drops on either that I know of, my wife uses them more than me, they are used regularly, probably daily, but not massive volumes, but the 700D was only between December and August and the US model has only been since early August as we got it while away. I’ve gone through the menus about 3 times looking for a different touch screen setting, but the only one I can find says it’s enabled, have toggled it a few times and still had no luck.

Could just be bad luck on my part.

sharkattack

I’ve been through a few. Currently got a 7D and a 7D 2. They live a pretty hard life to be fair. Every time they go out they get rained on or covered in mud. Thankfully I’ve never had any kind of malfunction.

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve had a 350D (or might have been a 450D) fail within a few weeks so it was replaced under warranty. I’ve had the joystick fail on a 5D3. It was never right from new, but got worse and had to be replaced.

My impression is that that they are not prefect, but probably no worse than similar brands, and at least they did get stuff sorted promptly.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Big fan of Cannons cameras and never a problem here

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the rebels but I’m on my 3rd EOS DSLR. I went D60, 10D, then 40D.

The D60 (owned from new (cost me over £2k with the 50mm and 1GB ‘Microdrive’ back in 2001!!) still serves after 15 yrs (8 yrs hard work outdoors) albeit with sensor cleaning reqd. Shortly after purchase I dropped it (slid gracefully from an inclined graphics tablet on the desk) on the LCD menu screen (top screen) and destroyed the LCD display (it blacked out) but the camera itself has never skipped a beat. The 10D (second user, bought body for £250 like new!) still serves even after scrapes and knocks that have in places dented the body and taken chunks of the coating down to the silver alloy. Again sensor needs a clean but everything works. The 50mm now refuses to focus.correctly but it was never a hardy lens. Still not bad for 15 yrs of mostly outdoors use.

Now just sourced a (used) 40D and have similar hopes for longevity/reliability. I’m way behind the times but I love these cameras.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Very reliable in my experience, a fashion photographer friend wore her shutter out in a couple of years but was well over the stated 250k operations. Was cheap to replace too.

toby1

Nice one – think it’s just a bad run, so I shall continue down the Canon route for now. Cheers for the reassurance everyone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Canon SLR reliability’ is closed to new replies.