Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Canoeists and 3D printerists.
  • matt_outandabout

How strong is 3d printing? I’d like to make some seat hangers for a canoe, so they need to be able to support 14st + movement odd on four points of contact.

What does it cost, if I can do the design?

maccruiskeen

Why 3D print? I know nothing about canoes but googling ‘Canoe Seat Hangers’ I see something that can be cut as a 2D profile

convert

Could you post up an image of roughly what you are talking about.

3D print has a grain like wood – stronger in some planes than others. The size could also be an issue – the envelope of some machine is relatively small.

You would need to be able to generate an stl file or similar.

zilog6128

somewhat “how long is a piece of string” questions!!

I was very surprised at how strong you could make stuff though, when I got my 3d printer, so I wouldn’t rule it out!

As above (assuming you’re talking about hobbyist style FDM printing rather than the more industrial SLS process, which can be extremely strong but also very expensive!) if you print it so the layers are perpendicular to the expected forces that helps a lot. Lots of perimeters & top/bottom layers, as well as high infill, is key to strength – these are all properties you’d apply before printing rather than be specified in the design itself, so you’d have to be pretty explicit to whoever was printing it.

I’d definitely use a captive nut, etc rather than rely on 3d printed threads. Maybe post up a pic or sketch or something, there’s lots on here with 3d printing experience.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I am both those things! I doubt you’d be able to make something in plastic that would work, although if you have a picture please do post it up. The seat hangers I’ve seen tend to be an M6 bolt with a big washer at either end, so I might have got the wrong end of the stick. ‘3D printing’ (they prefer to call it additive manufacture) in metal would be strong enough but probably cost more than the canoe itself.

matt_outandabout

Why 3D print? I know nothing about canoes but googling ‘Canoe Seat Hangers’ I see something that can be cut as a 2D profile

The existing solutions are very traditional – hanger and seat or kneeling thwart.

I’m looking into being able to adjust seat tilt and height on the go, no bolts needed, or having quick release options which are needed on whitewater.

It’s a tiny market so you’ll never make a business of it. But if someone produced a simple design which anyone could print….

I’ll try and get one of the lads try help me sketch something up – basically a flat plate with mounts above and notched shelves on that the seat ends can sit on, you could have three levels to go up and down or tilt seat. Bit of bungee or wedge too hold and bobs your uncle.

binman

Like the Wenonah design ?

matt_outandabout

Yes, but no.

Wenonah: still relies on bolts, into end grain.

My plan is shelves with sunken sections, a seat cut to the right length would slide in from one side, drop into the notches and be held either with a bit of bungee or just slightly oversize the seat width to get inward hull pressure.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Like the Wenonah design ?

Just what I thought
    Picture of Wenonah adjustable seat

matt_outandabout

Hmmm, beaten to it other than that doesn’t release fully.

binman

Reminds me, must get out in my Wenonah soon 😁 !

Matt, I think I get what you mean, sounds like something you could make with thick ply and a router ? I take it you would need to ‘tie’ the hangers at the bottom to stop them splaying ?

matt_outandabout

Thick ply could work, longevity might be an issue.

I was hoping that if the shelf protrudes as much as inner gunwhale and the backplate is against hull sides, it won’t splay out…

I maybe should just fork out for the Wenonah ones and sort a q/r kneeling thwart.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Canoeists and 3D printerists.’ is closed to new replies.