Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cannondale Trigger 29er 2 or Commencal AM29er 2 ?
  • weeksy

http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s154p5256/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-29ER-2-2013

http://www.fishfacecycles.com/ourshop/prod_2870899-Commencal-Meta-AM-2-29-2013.html

Assuming my Spearfish that’s up for sale goes, i’m in the market for a new bike, I’ve got a couple of guys interested and waiting on pics and I expect it should go fairly soon.

So, I’ve narrowed my options to the 2 above bikes, looking for something more AM than the Spearfish, with the ability for more rougher terrain, obviously at the consequence of weight and geometry, but that’s the decision I’ve made at the moment.

Both bikes appeal massively… although not quite as much as the 1 version of both.. but that pushes the price up more than I want to spend, so it’s model 2 of each that’s on the list.

The Cannondales shock system with the adjustable suspension seems to be tipping the voting in my head in it’s favour. But the removing of the wheels etc seems a little more complex, no QR stuff on the Cannondale.

Both are running 15mm front, which means I should be able to put my spare wheels in, both are 142×12 rear, which means if I keep the Hope PRo2’s I can probably get converters, if I keep the Giant wheels, I don’t know…

the brakes seem to be won on the Commencal with Formula RX12’s fitted over the Magura MT2’s on the Cannondale. I must admit i’m a fan of the Formulas in general.

The gear parts are a little better on the Cannondale in general….

Any experience with either, or even suggestions at £1600 29erAM’s would be much appreciated.

johnnystorm
    JCL
    Free Member

Out of those two I’d only consider the Commencal AM. 1.5 degrees slacker would be enough to convince me. That Trigger is one of those odd bikes Germans ride that claim to do everything but actually do nothing well.

Those Commencal’s are supposed to be heavy though aren’t they? A Stumpy Evo 29″ would be a good bike to compare to the Commencal.

weeksy

the Commencal seems to about 14.45kg or 31.8lbs , i’d get it down to about 14 with my Hope/Crest combo I guess.

The Cannondale seems to be about the same, maybe fractionally heavier…

Not looked at Stumpy Evo….but will now.

Edit, Stumpy seems to come in <13kg… which is quite a difference.. but not found them anywhere near the £1600 bracket yet.

JCL
    Free Member

Yeah I didn’t look at your price limit. I have no idea what they go for?

To be fair the weight of that Commencal isn’t bad.

weeksy

£2500 really mate on the FSR… .Which is £1000 more than the Commencal or the Cannondale.

JCL
    Free Member

Well I’d get the Commencal then!

Just don’t try one with a 34 or Pike. You wouldn’t be able to live with that 32 after 😉

ianpv
    Free Member

Have bikescene still got any of the stumpy 29er frames on sale? I got a standard FSR 29er (not the evo) for £800 and put a 140mm fork on it – it seems a great bike. It’s quicker than my patriot downhill on most stuff…

I sold a spearfish to build it up, too.

weeksy

Spoke to a guy selling a barely used AM29er on Ebay.. it seems Fishface are doing them for £1600 which is cost price…. if not slightly below cost…. That’s making the Commencal seem a positive BARGAIN…

Just need to make a decision on whether I press the button today…. or wait till I sell the Spearfish… hmmmm

hopkinsgm

Have you had a look directly at Commencal to see if they still have 2013 stock remaining?

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501276

weeksy

Good idea batman…

1800euro… so making the £1600 above still seem like a great buy.

Garry_Lager

I have a newish jekyll, weeksy, so a beefier version than the trigger. The adjustable rear shock is susan-perb, works a treat. Works as in works – it’s reliable, and works as it makes sense on the trail (150/90).
    Typical cannondale design really – different to the norm and that’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Whether it makes as much sense for the trigger I’m not sure – 120/70 mm dual setting isn’t as convincing to me as something to design a bike around. Thikn I’d be inclined to just take the HT out, given the choice. Just a first impression – not ridden one.

kongman28
    Free Member

I’m slightly biased but the warranty on the Trigger frame would mean a lot to me.
    It’s 80 or 130mm of travel and both settings work perfectly for climbing and descending. I’ve not written the Commencal so can’t comment but the Trigger is the fastest do it all bike I’ve ridden and is still fun to ride to boot. For a 29r it manuals and jumps with ease too.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Depends how you ride. The commencal is more aimed towards the Enduro scene and the Trigger is more XC.

I’ve owned a few cannondales and Commencals. Recently bought a Meta SL and love the way it rides. Not a spritely XC machine but a bit more of a hooligan that ploughs through stuff.

Doug from Basqe MTB did a good review on the Meta AM 29.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Trigger 29er 2 or Commencal AM29er 2 ?’ is closed to new replies.