Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • (Cannondale) Slate my ride.
  • jonnyboi

Latest addition to the stable, I changed a few things from the stock build that I didn’t like.

Wheels swapped over to stans MK3 with WTB resolute tubeless tyres. Had to be tan sidewalls

50T chainring ditched in favour of a 46 and 11-32 on the back with a mid cage mech.

Still debating whether to stick the flared drops on, but it’s bundle of fun to ride.

qwerty
    Free Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNT

bikebouy
    Free Member

#nohate
    #lovleycolour
    #nicesetup
    #decentsizechainrings
    #skinwallz
    #beautifulgarden

Gotama
    Free Member

I really like those slates and I have always wanted a Lefty.

peteimpreza

Ultegra version is £1999 at Evans at the moment.

Can someone please buy all the medium ones so I cannot be tempted?

Have test ridden one and they are an absolute hoot to ride.

jonnyboi

Ultegra version £1895 in start fitness, 105 version £1350.

If you get lucky (like I did) you might get one for 10% less with one of their discount codes.

Also, FYI cannondale isn’t bringing the slate to the UK for 2018. Although it will still be sold in the US and Europe.

peteimpreza

Evans will do you 24 months interest free finance.

Pyro

Wheelbase had the 105 version at half price – £1350 iirc. Only small left though

joe67
    Free Member

Very nice what size is the smaller chainring jonnyboi

jonnyboi

Very nice what size is the smaller chainring jonnyboi

36T.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, lovely looking bike subject to below…

The slate should really be my ‘one and only*’ bike, but…I’m not sure if its the dimensions or if its the suspension sitting unsagged but in all the pics they look a little out of proportion to me. e.g. a little too short in the top tube and a little too high in the head tube. Almost like a mountain bike with drop bars rather than a gravel/cross bike with a suspension fork.

I should try one, but really interested in peoples real world experiences.

Thanks

*Never going to happen.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love that!

cheese@4p

What niche is it and what does it make come alive?

cyclistm
    Free Member

(to answer my own post above) looking at some more pics I think its the fork offset that makes them look out of proportion in pics.

I’m really beginning to convince myself I need one of these

AlexSimon

Does it feel fast? That was one of my biggest concerns. I enjoy a road-bike feel from my CX bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Everything appears to be in order here.

Good work.

benp1

Can anyone find any well priced XLs?

jonnyboi

I’m not sure if its the dimensions or if its the suspension sitting unsagged but in all the pics they look a little out of proportion to me. e.g. a little too short in the top tube and a little too high in the head tube. Almost like a mountain bike with drop bars rather than a gravel/cross bike with a suspension fork.

I should try one, but really interested in peoples real world experiences.

The lefty oliver fork is designed to run with zero sag (after all it’s only 30mm travel) so how you see it is how it rides.

You’re right about the top tube, it drops away which has the benefit of giving you more seat post out for comfort. but it’s also why I went for the large. The TT is ‘only’ 55cm actual but the horizontal is 57cm. BB drop is lower than it looks at 65cm.

As for the ride,You do sit ‘in’ the bike rather than on it and it feels pretty much like a road bike only much more stable, I’ve even ridden it down a short flight of steps.

jonnyboi

Does it feel fast? That was one of my biggest concerns. I enjoy a road-bike feel from my CX bikes

It doesn’t feel sluggish to accelerate and heavy if that’s what you mean. Obviously it’s a bit heavier than a comparable cx bike due to the fork

codybrennan
    Free Member

Oh I say.

cheers_drive

I tried one at Tweed Love and I could’d help but see it a a poor comprimise between CX and a racy hardtail. I really wanted to like it but it too and the reductions are tempted (if there were any XLs in stock). Perhaps if I had gone for a longer ride instead of a quick spin around Peebles I would have see it’s true character.

DezB
    Free Member

Large 105 : £1500 Tredz

daern
    Free Member

An awful looking bike which I in no way want and I am therefore closing the browser and pretending it doesn’t exist.

<fingers in ears> La, La, La…

superstu
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooooh that’s nice

slimjim78
    Free Member

So, i may have possibly potentially accidentally bought the exact same bike..

Can’t wait to get my hands on it. Talk to me about ratio’s jonnyboi..

I’m planning on an 11-32 cassette swap with Mid cage mech – is 105 the only/best option here?
    And chainrings, how low can you go, and how close do both rings need to be in size?

Main bug bear is seeming lack of MTB drive-train compatibility with the 105 shifters.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I stuck with the 36-52 on the front, but went for the 11-32 on the back with a mid cage 105 derailleur. I got a new 105 chain, rear mech and cassette for about £80.00. Its ok so far, but if I do much more off road I’d consider smaller chainrings as well. You want a max 16 tooth jump on the chainrings ideally, though I have run 18 on some bikes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Wouldn’t an MTB chainset fit? If it’s 135mm dropouts presumably the chainline will be ok.

jonnyboi

So, i may have possibly potentially accidentally bought the exact same bike..

Disaster! 😉

Swap the 52T chainring for a 46T, leave the 36T as is, although 34T is an option but no smaller

Get a mid cage mech, 105 is perfect but go ultegra if you really want to. No tiagra in 11spd yet.

The cherry on the cake for your ratios is the new 11-34 ultegra cassette.

If your lucky you won’t need to shorten the chain either

jonnyboi

Wouldn’t an MTB chainset fit? If it’s 135mm dropouts presumably the chainline will be ok.

It’s 12 x142

The issue is shimano 11spd Road shifters not being compatible with 11spd mtb, unless you use a wolf tooth tanpan.

I considered it but seeing as this is going to be an endurance bike didn’t want the added complexity and risk of failure

slimjim78
    Free Member

Does the 105 RD work with the 11-34 cassette though? It’s stated as max 32

jonnyboi

Yeah, reckon so. I’ve got plenty of clearance with my 11-32 and the b screw still has a way to go.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Bingo.
    Thanks, i think i’ll give that a try

anagallis_arvensis

Does the 105 RD work with the 11-34 cassette though? It’s stated as max 32

70% sure my diverge has an 11-34 with 105 rear mech. No idea 9n details though.

anagallis_arvensis

70% wrong apparently its a 32 with a 48/32 on front

wind-bag
    Free Member

I have taken the opposite approach, the Slate is a fun bike, to be ridden intermediate distances for the laugh…for endurance rides I have just picked up a 2018 Salsa Cuttroat.

I love my Slate and really enjoy riding it, but it takes concentration to ride it well, you can’t switch off on it, not sure that makes sense.

postierich
    Free Member

Snap 🙂
    Tried flared drops but they were gash the Alpkit ones
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Cu5dvz]24232392_10156027289986474_2839306999202123494_n[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

parkesie
    Free Member

If they had rack mounts I’d be getting one

slimjim78
    Free Member

Am I looking for 110 pcd chainrings? I’ve seen FSA Super Pro rings at Wiggle (inner is listed as 10sp) which look like they’ll fit the bill. Other than the price. Ouch

jonnyboi

@posterich. interesting about the flared drops, I have a set of alpkit bombers but will leave them off.

Also, the oliver doesn’t come with a lower bash guard but I got the one for the lefty hybrid (KH099) and it fits perfectly.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘(Cannondale) Slate my ride.’ is closed to new replies.