Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cannondale Slate Apex 1 – Anyone got one?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Cannondale Slate Apex 1 in the sale at the moment and I may be able to use a cycle to work voucher to buy it. I’m tempted, I really don’t need another bike but that’s not stopped me before.

Anyone got one in this spec with rigid fork?

aP
    Free Member

A riding buddy has a susp version – it seems pretty good, he clearly really likes it. The only thing that’d concern me is that the rear tyre clearance is quite tight and that doesn’t really give you the opportunity to run more aggressive tyres, it seems to be limited to 42mm tyres. Clearance for 50mm+ would allow you to use tyres like Thunder Burts, which is what I use on my Bokeh or Compass Loup Loup Pass (got some Switchback Hill in the post 🙂 , as well as the WTB 47mm tyres that were released earlier this year.

jonnyboi

I’d have to ask why, proprietary fork and hub with none of the benefits you get from the lefty oliver suspension fork.

Tyre choice isn’t as bad as some make out, 650b x 42c is getting more popular and there are a good number of high quality tubeless tyres available. But without the suspension fork it seems an odd choice, there are better rigid bikes out there.

Gary_M
    Free Member

42mm would probably be fine for me to be honest. I’m not sure it’ll be any different to the CX bike I already have as it’s main selling point is the lefty suspension fork which this model doesn’t have.

Our posts crossed jonnyboi but I’m thinking the same. But then again it’s a new bike and it’s a bit different 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Where still has these on sale?

aP
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of 650b drop bar bikes if you can’t put bigger rubber on them, if its limited to relatively small then all it is giving you is an excuse to buy different sized tyres. I use my Bokeh with 650b wheels with both road and mtb tyres and its great and extremely versatile. I started with 38mm road tyres, but some 48mm will be going on in the next week.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Where still has these on sale?

Quite a few places, I’m not telling you where though in case I decide to buy one 🙂

Not difficult to find out though!

jonnyboi

If it’s the one where I got my slate 105 you ‘may’ be able to apply a discount code to that £999 as you complete the c2w purchase online

Gary_M
    Free Member

They don’t have a l05 version, only other one is ultegra with £1200 off

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What aP said. Cannondale missed a trick with the Slate. I reckon they would have sold a whole lot more if you could run some proper size rubber on 650b. I see they’ve dropped the Slate in this country now?

bumpy
    Free Member

Just noticed that there’s some places with the 105 model with the proper Lefty on it rather than the rigid fork.
    For £1300 it’s a bit over my budget but I reckon it could make a pretty sweet commuter.
    I’m guessing that there’s no way of fitting any front mudguards on the Slate apart from a Crud Catcher type thing on the down tube is there?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have a Slate 105. Absolutely love it. Still stock apart from the saddle. Great for what I need, (live in Cumbria and the lanes around me are never maintained or covered in mud/cow poo) . Nice on the road and its been around Whinlatter Blue with the stock tyres on. Its a real laugh to ride.
    If I was taking it more off road I would put decent tyres on.
    I think PostieRich from here has one too.
    Mine was a bargain from wheelbase.
    Just watch the sizing. I am normally a medium frame but the large frame suited me better (32inch leg, 5’10)
    No mudguard on the front but running a muckynutz fender on the back which does a good job of keeping most of the crud off me.

jonnyboi

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/Mudguard-for-Lefty-standard

I think SKS do a lefty adapter for their mtb mudguards if you can find it

bumpy
    Free Member

I think SKS do a lefty adapter for their mtb mudguards if you can find it

Thanks for that, they’re very tempting at the price they are!

seifahmad
    Free Member

My slate cx1 has been a revelation as well. It is so comfy and surprisingly quick. I even rode the rapha Manchester to London on mine and didn’t find the bike a hindrance at all.

Just ordered the Zefal swan rear mudguard thing but am looking for a decent lefty mudguard. Interested to see what is recommended for the front.

FWIW I am running schwalbe g ones at the mo and am thinking of ordering some compass babyshoe pass tyres for the summer long Day rides.

jonnyboi

I am normally a medium frame but the large frame suited me better (32inch leg, 5’10)

Same here and went for a large, I think the sloping top tube means that the effective top tube length is a lot less.

darkcove

Just check the rear triangle alignment. I had two that were well out, the wheel much closer to the drive side seat stay. Fitting more aggressive rubber would have been impossible. The shop were brilliant and replaced both without quibble and refunded me in the end.

jonnyboi

If you’re still looking a slate apex, start fitness have their 10% off everything code back ‘save10’ gets it down to £900

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll have a look and see if the take halfords c2w vouchers. But I’m inlined to think that without the lefty it’s much the same as my current cx bike.

jonnyboi

they do

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Slate Apex 1 – Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.