Cannondale Si road replacement chainrings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cannondale Si road replacement chainrings
  • Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

As above I have a 2017 Cannondale caad12 105 disc which came with Si cranks (bb30a just to get some obscure standards in there along with a weirdly small seatpost) that have 36/52 chainrings on them. The cassette is 12-28 I believe.

I’d like a slightly lower gear for steep hills as when they get really steep and a bit longer I could do with more of a bail out.

Guess there are 2 options – change the cassette so it has a 32 tooth lowest gear or go compact on the crankset – 34/50. I think the bigger cassette may require a change of mech though (I’d need to check).

So what chainring options are there? Seems I could fit Spiderings from Cannondale which are a touch on the expensive side but are very light. Found an 8 arm set for £90 – although the 10 arm sets seem to be a lot more expensive but I’m not sure why?

Any other options?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Doubt you’ll feel much of a difference taking two teeth off the front. Four on the back, though, will see you right. Shimano rear road derailleurs are no problem on a 32 (you can in fact go bigger) if that’s what you’re running, don’t know about other brands but they’re probably similarly OK.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I think it’s a medium cage 105 rear mech – looking online it suggests I could use an 11-32 cassette. I’ll just need to check it’s definitely not short cage.

So 4 teeth bigger on the cassette would be more noticeable than 2 teeth smaller on the chainring?

If so then I’ll pick up a cassette and new chain and give that a whirl. Means I would lose the highest gear for when really pushing downhill so could be the best of both worlds.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

It’s a short cage 105 mech – 60mm between the 2 jockey wheels. Balls.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

I have that set-up on my cross bike and it’s fine – [short cage 105 on a 50/34 compact] but it’s technically outside the drivetrain capacity, so maybe not recommended if you want to do things properly.

Making a small ring bigger will always have a proportionally larger effect than making a big ring smaller on the drivetrain ratios.

Premier Icon Ben_H
    Subscriber

Hi Joe,

As the others have said, I think an 11-32 cassette would be a better bet than replacing the chainrings… Even with a new rear mech and a 105 cassette, I think it would cost less and possibly be less faff to fit.

I run an 11-32 with 34/50 up front on my allrounder (Shand) and 11-28 with 34/50 on my Emonda. I could probably do with 36/52 up front on the latter, but that’s another story!

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Thanks Ben. I think to go 11-32 I need to swap for a medium cage rear mech. I think I’ll keep a look out on eBay for a rear mech bargain- either 105 or uktegra in medium cage. Then get a new cassette (105) and chain and pop it all on there at once.

Money no object I’d be swapping to sram double tap or etap but that’s dream land!

Joe…… Praxis do some great rings that look nice on the Dale Si cranks.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Thanks for that – I did find a forum where someone had gone praxis and the offset was slightly wrong so it kept dropping the chain between the chainrings. Think the smaller one was 1mm further inboard or something like that

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.