Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cannondale Prophet MX replacement rear shock ??
  • walowiz

I’ve asked this question before, but I’m struggling to understand what shocks will be ok for a Cannondale Prophet MX I’m building back up.

Bought it from here with a coil shock, but I’d like to build it back up light with an air shock and TBH I’m not really rad enough for coil suspension. Been there and done that.

I’ve been offered a rockshox monarch Rt3 model with LL tune. high volume, 200 X 51. The fitting sounds ok, but I recall being told to not go for high volume – is that correct?

The original size figment is 200×50, I don’t know if a 200×51 will make any difference ?

Here’s the original question:

Cannondale Prophet MX Question

cakeandcheese

Makes me wonder if it’s my old one – size medium I think, powder coated black and white, with a fox vanilla, push tuned and titanium coil. Was an ace bike and did the alps and Whistler with me.

Anyway, an extra 1mm stroke makes no odds. As for the HV can, that can be swapped if you don’t like the print rate for a standard one for very little money. Try it with HV on though, you might like it.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

If its any help here’s a link to the Cannondale Prophet Owner’s Manual Supplement (sounds like a news paper)…

Linky

Contains specs, servicing and other bits and bobs. I’m not sure how different the MX is from the “normal” Prophet, though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

50 Vs 51mm will make no difference, it’s just a rounding error (they’re 2″ stroke). Hence why modern shock sizes are referred to as “Metric”. Really it’s an 8″x2″ shock but no one outside the USA probably ever used that nomenclature.

You probably want a low volume. A high volume shock might be adjustable with tokens though.

LL tune sounds wrong, they’re quite a high leverage ratio but I cant remember what’s correct.

TBH I’d just keep the coil shock, the weight difference isn’t really noticeable whilst riding. It’s a half empty water bottle of extra weight. An ironic comparison as the Prophet can’t take a water bottle……

el_boufador

Great bikes. As above I recall needing a low volume air can and high damping

RustyNissanPrairie

I ran a DHX air on mine, small volume can. Worked well.

Iirc the MX had an additional headtube gusset and was bolt thru back end.

walowiz

@cakeandcheese Here’s the frame as I bought it from STW.

Prophet MX

walowiz

Let’s try that again – hopefully STW won’t be in meltdown this time

@cakeandcheese
    Here’s the frame as I bought it from STW.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mcWJUZ]Prophet MX from STW[/url] on Flickr

cakeandcheese

Ah not mine then. A great bike though, and I wouldn’t be too quick to ditch the coil.

PB had an article on the overall weight differences each component could have on a bike in the past day or two. A coil was <2% overall bike weight gain IIRC. Your tyres and wheels will have a far greater impact on weight and feel.

Kuco

I had one of them in those colours but with an airshock. Sold it to pay towards a Demo 7 the MX was a great little hardcore bike and could take a slightly longer fork than a normal Prophet due to having a downtube gusset.

walowiz

No worries.

Good shout keeping the coil shock – as I’ll need to have a wheel made up for a 27.5” 135×12 non-boost spec & I can’t imagine there’s many about new, let alone second hand !!

Maybe there is in 26”, but not 27.5” that I can find.

Edit: and I’ll need the cash to pay for that!

walowiz

Also does anyone know what the maximum width 27.5” tyre I can run on the rear without it hitting / buzzing the frame ?

Looking to order the wheel & tyres.

Googled it and I’ve seen 2.1,2.35 & 2.5 !

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, I’d just stick with 26″ wheels. Seems pointless running a skinny tyre to end up the same diameter as a bigger 26″ tyre.

walowiz

Agreed, it was more that 27.5 tyres are easier to get hold of and I’d feel a bit better about getting this back on the trails with a more “modern” wheelset size. Or it could be just another way of justifying the expense on an old bike frame. Which is slightly more likely.

walowiz

Ok, trying to source a rear wheel for this, a 135×12.

Stupid question warning.

Is 135×12 the same as 142×12 ?

I’ve read that it might be, but before I splash out thought it wise to check here first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cannondale Prophet MX replacement rear shock ??’ is closed to new replies.