Recall notice – Cannondale Cyclocross CAADX Model Year 2013-2016

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Recall notice – Cannondale Cyclocross CAADX Model Year 2013-2016
  • Premier Icon linusr
    Subscriber

I had this email today from Evans about my Cannondale CAADX

We are contacting you as our records show you have purchased a Cannondale CAADX disc bicycle, which may be impacted by this recall. As the recall is a safety concern, please discontinue use of your bike and consult the link below to confirm if your bike is impacted:
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20Britain/Safety-Notices-and-Recalls

If your bike is impacted, please discontinue use and respond to this email with your nearest Evans Cycles store in the subject line and provide an image of your full bike plus serial number (the serial number is two letters and five numbers). Once we have received those details, we will have your local store order and install the free, upgraded (black, full carbon) replacement fork.

We anticipate receiving stock of the replacement fork by mid-August onwards. To avoid unnecessary inconvenience please do not bring your bike into the store until they confirm they have a replacement fork there for you.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to getting you back out on your Cannondale as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Evans Cycles Product Recall Team

If you bought your CAADX used you may not know about this. Details here: recall notice.

markwsf

Thanks – I have one of those so will be giving Leisurelakes a call tomorrow.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Thanks from me too. I have one I bought used so I’ll go and see what my local dealer (Evans as it happens) says.

dti

Thanks from me as well.

Premier Icon toofarwest
    Subscriber

Thanks for the info, got one of these on C2W a few years ago.

pjm84

Yep thanks as well.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

My suspicion is it’s the bonding between the aluminium steerer tube and carbon rest of the fork.
    The fix is a carbon monocoque fork apparently and there has been a court case over de-bonding of that interface previously.

boblo

Moi aussi. Thanks for the PSA. So rattling down a 45mph gravel descent last weekend was living on the edge then…

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Thanks from me too. I have one I bought used so I’ll go and see what my local dealer (Evans as it happens) says.

Let us know what they say cp – We have two caadx’s with the recalled fork and one of them was bought secondhand.

Premier Icon TomB
    Subscriber

Anyone know if the Tiagra version is affected? Mine meets all the recall criteria except the ‘Ultrax’ stickers on the fork inner legs.

pjm84

I think that’s the key. I took mine in this morning and the four points in the recall was also the dealer’s requirements for the return. Also had an email this morning from the guys who sold me the bike back in 2014

I didn’t submit any receipt for the bike when I returned it. So second owner etc would not be an issue.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Anyone know if the Tiagra version is affected? Mine meets all the recall criteria except the ‘Ultrax’ stickers on the fork inner legs.

What year is it?

The recall is only ’13-’16 and the spec for that year says ultrax fork which has external cable routing. Later years got full carbon forks with internally routed hoses.

Wonder what the replacement will be, because the later bikes also had bolt through forks where <’16 were QR.

Premier Icon linusr
    Subscriber

@TomB

Mine is the Tiagra. I never noticed the Ultrax stickers before until I looked closely yesterday. They are dark grey against a black background. Double check. But if they are not there then yours is not in the recall group.

dti

Great bike – I’ll miss it until the fork gets swapped

Darn it. I’ve just updated mine with new brakes. No doubt the replacement ones will need different adapters etc. Will wait and see. Thanks for the heads up.

Premier Icon TomB
    Subscriber

Mine is the Tiagra. I never noticed the Ultrax stickers before until I looked closely yesterday. They are dark grey against a black background. Double check. But if they are not there then yours is not in the recall group.

Thanks Linusr, just had a closer look and wiped the grime off, the ultrax stickers are there- off to the shop with mine then!

Premier Icon linusr
    Subscriber

Darn it. I’ve just updated mine with new brakes. No doubt the replacement ones will need different adapters etc. Will wait and see. Thanks for the heads up.

@Whereisthurso I replaced the crappy original Promax Render brake calipers for BB7s and I have full mudguards fitted. I hope the fittings will be identical. They should be.

Subscriber

Ive got guards for mine but decided it was wasted as a commuter so turned it back to a cx bike.

Looking at the specs of newer bikes they’re bolt through and flat mount so unless we’re all getting new wheels and brakes as well I presume Cannondale have gone out and bought/had made a load of compatible forks. It wouldn’t exactly be a safety recall if the bike came back from the shop without a front brake!

FWIW I just emailed my nearest dealer and they just asked for photos so they can log it with Cannondale. I neither bought it new or from them so will have to buy something to relieve my guilt!

Premier Icon santacruzsi
    Subscriber

I bought a used one of these this week, a day later my mate highlighted the recall to me.

I’ve spoken to my local Evans ( chillfactore / Manchester ) today who said they were waiting for CSG to get the replacement forks in; likely to be mid August . They took my details and frame number so they could log it with CSG.

Shame I can’t ride it now for a few weeks!

Subscriber

Tbh it won’t stop me riding it, dunno what the exact problem with the fork is but it’s a 4yr old bike and hasn’t killed me yet and there isn’t any more risk tomorrow than there was last week.

The one in whatever chance of the fork breaking though this fault is probably significantly less than the chances of me going otb for some other reason with similar consequences.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Quite amusing – had a call from the lbs I bought my CAADX from. If I still have the bike, they need to replace the forks.
    I wonder what they’d have done with the v-brakes once they stuck the spangly new carbon disk fork on..!

Mine was the Alu Tiagra model from before they had discs 😂

boblo

I’m being told it’s now October for replacement parts…

tpbiker

Later years got full carbon forks with internally routed hoses.

Mine is 2017 I think. It’s got internal routing, but doesn’t have a full carbon fork. Wonder why the bonding on the 2017 is fine and not the 2016.

Premier Icon lister
    Subscriber

My lbs told me to get it to them next week. No mention of October.

Premier Icon linusr
    Subscriber

I’ve now had an email from Evans Cycles saying my CAADX is booked in for 25 December – yes, Christmas Day! I went into the branch that is due to change the fork and enquired if this was a joke. According to the staff I spoke to there is a delay in getting the new fork. But Christmas Day? I was then told it would be sometime in October. Originally they had told me that it would be available from mid-August. Staff reminded me not to ride the bike. Anyone else had a confirmed date for a new fork yet?

My local dealer spoke to Cannondale today and was told November. Having recently tried to buy a cannondale topstone I already have experience of cannondale’s ever increasing lead times (a couple of weeks quickly turned into a couple of months and then into ‘we just don’t know’ before I cancelled the order). I’m not anticipating having the fork replaced this year that’s for sure.

I was given all the talk about how I should absolutely not ride it in case of causing serious injury or worse but I’m pretty sure most people will when faced with a 6 month wait for a replacement fork. I think I’ll be looking to see how much it would cost to buy a compatible one rather than waiting but I’ve a feeling it could be pretty pricey. Anyone know of any options?

dti

I’ve been told mid October

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Quick update for non-original owners.

I had an email back from CSG and they are providing replacement forks to everyone, not just original owners.

Evans have said the same and it’s booked in… For Xmas day as well.

I’ve been told January is current expected date.

Premier Icon lister
    Subscriber

My lbs, after being really pro-active, have started to drag their feet.

Just had a call today from them that the serial number they’d taken from the bike was the wrong number. They took that number 2 weeks ago.

They now have the correct number from me so I guess I’m at the back of the email queue ☹️

I really want to have use of the bike through the autumn so will start causing a fuss soon!

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

I got the Christmas day email as well.

I’m NEA but this is bollox really if you wanted to respect the recall, as probably most casual riders who bought a CAADX just to commute on will want to do (tbf I’d be respecting the recall if I had only commuted on the bike – not stress tested). CDale saying your only bike is a potential death trap and we’ll get back to you in four months to straighten this out.

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

You can’t just instantly magic up 1000s of forks. Would you rather they kept the issue secret until replacement forks were ready?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Who’s talking about instant fork delivery?
    Replacement date is approx 5 months from official recall notice, and CDale will have been working on this issue for way longer than that. It’s obv a major logistical operation but that is still a massive wait for an existing item (ie not a new design to fix a problem), and a damaging one for people who aren’t especially attached to the brand.

I bought a reasonably cheap new frame and fork and transferred parts across. It had been my only road bike so I wasn’t going to be waiting six months for a new fork. I appreciate not everyone is in a position to do that though.

I did consider just keeping riding it but I’d had a bit of a head on collision previously which had already put doubts in my mind about the reliability of the fork.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

massive wait for an existing item

It’s it an existing item though? I was under the impression it is a new fork design. The replacement is full carbon inc steerer and a casual look a few weeks ago suggested Cannondale’s full carbon CX forks were 1.1/8->1.1/4 tapered.

Even if it was an existing item you can’t suddenly make them from nowhere. Evans alone sold 4000 of the bikes in the UK apparently. Scale that up to the rest of the UK, let alone the world and you can see the scale of the task.

hydrophil

Ive got the same issue as you cp
    My lbs questioned where the bike was bought from (not around here!)
    Would you mind sharing the email from cannondale please or sending it to me – I contacted them weeks ago but not got a reply yet
    thanks
    phil

philDOTmerrinATgmailDOTcom

Subscriber

I just e-mailed my closest dealer (Pedal on) and they took the frame details to register the claim with cannondale. Didn’t seem fussed that it wasn’t one supplied by them.

Maybe try a bigger dealer that will be dealing with 10’s/100’s of forks rather than one or two if it’s a small lbs?

Out of interest, do Cannondale pay the dealers to swap the forks?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.