Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cannock, is it worth a visit at the moment?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I only asked a couple of weeks ago buy never ended up going as we stayed local, Nephew has had a new bike and i might take him over with laddo on Saturday. Anybody ridden there over this weekend as it looks according to the website as tho there is a fair bit closed along with a chunk of stile cop.

BillOddie

I rode there last weekend (not the one just been).  We had a nice time.

Yes, there is a bit closed but to be honest if the closure is for trail maintenance it’s probably necessary as I have never seen the trails so loose (to the point of being blown out) and as big and as many braking bumps, and thats saying something for Cannock.

prawny

I went round the Monkey on Saturday. It’s shut from the end of tight squeeze all the way to the beginning of the original monkey, so you miss out pot of gold which is a shame.

Absinthe is shut too still, and the first park of Upper cliff (the snap it part). It’s still a decent ride round though. Stile cop is re-open.

The dog is all open other than Rock n rollers as far as I know, which has been shut for a good while now.

There’s loads of off piste too if you have a nose on Strava, I’ve only been on the way marked trails a couple of time this year, most of the off piste stuff around Brocton is a step up from the official trails, but you have to be careful of tourists if you’re out during the day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Unfortunately the closures aren’t due to maintenance but for tree felling, I was knew it was happening but wasn’t sure of the extent.
    Cannock is slowly disintegrating with what seems like very little support from the forest over the last few years maintenance wise.
    Had an interesting conversation about the condition of the place about 7/8 months ago with some snotty fc manager type. He basically told me to **** off and ride in Wales “if it doesn’t meet your high standards” The rollers at the end are a classic example and I believe it must be nearly 2 years since they were shut.
    Always found the place brilliant as an all weather option and it’s definitely helped my lad shape his riding when local stuff just isn’t fun to ride mid winter. Just wish for all the six quids they get that they’d gove some professional love back to the trails.

somouk
    Free Member

There is some maintenance going on as well, check out their facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/chasetrails/

prawny

They’re certainly more considerate with the felling than they were a few years ago, when they clear felled the over the rainbow section a few years ago it stayed shut for months whilst they rebuilt. Lower cliff was much better and the new 5 ways section was reopened almost immediately.

It’s a shame that the felling has to happen, but that’s what the trees were planted for, it could have been a hell of a lot worse if the Tory’s had had their way and sold it off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cannock, is it worth a visit at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.