Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cannock conditions please?
  • ready

Thinking of a day out tomorrow, but is the Donkey all open and riding well?

dirkpitt74

Have a look here for closures:

2019 Monkey Trail Harvesting

They’ve also opened up the first part of Rock n Rollers on the Dog now – only the first 200m but it’s a start.

Riding well at the moment – was over there Tuesday evening.

somouk
    Free Member

Weather was good early in the week but had rain the last two nights so will be puddles about but perfectly rideable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Only took them nigh on two years to sort the rollers. Amount they charge for the car park now is plenty and I don’t see any of that money going in to trail maintenance which is a huge shame as cannock is falling way behind the competition in my eyes.

robbo1234biking

£6 for parking isn’t bad really. It isn’t just for the trails it is also for the other on site stuff. £6 for a couple of hours entertainment is really good value for money. Look at the cost of going to the cinema for example!

Anyway was running well last weekend. Don’t think the rain will have made much difference.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Six quid for all day, yup that’s good value, but as a biker with a bit of faff and cafe it’s just over 2 hours.
    I appreciate that the six quid isn’t just for the mtb, but go ape are making a killing all on their own who’s rent to the fc will be plenty.
    I just feel that the trails have been really neglected and not moved on from when the monkey became public. The car park used to be very busy with bikers, not so much so now.
    I’ve actually spoken to the guy in charge about the above issues and his response was a really snotty “sorry it doesn’t live up to your high standards”, thing is those “high standards” were based on other trail centres which seem to be maintained much more often.
    It’s still a good all weather option and has been a great place for my lad to start off his riding rather than dragging him straight out on to the local trails.

somouk
    Free Member

I think the difference is Cannock is just maintaining its trails in a safe way as opposed to developing them.

This would be fine if bigger and better trail hubs weren’t appearing and developing all the time in a more commercial setting. I think what they have is great for where it is.

Their focus is on making the forest accessible to everyone and not just bikers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I say I just think the trails are neglected, I don’t expect huge new loops etc. The very fact the rollers has taken so long is testament to the lack of care/investment for the mtb side.
    The forest is already hugely accessible with a big network of fire roads and basic trails.
    Imagine the revenue from the ever increasing number of concerts held there, it must be huge, all i’d like to see is some of that money used for a good session of professional maintenance rather than the volunteers who seem to have to do it all solo.
    I’m not knocking the place, it just wants a bit of financial love from the fc coffers and I think it deserves it.

LMT
    Free Member

The actual trails are built maintained by volunteers no paid labour to help, on the odd occasion I’ve met with the guys doing this it’s only been 2-3 people, no one turns up anymore yet we all expect amazing trails to ride…

I wonder if the commonwealth games will change this and some real investment again, I remember when giant came on board and we had some great new stuff to ride.

I get the irony I don’t help to build, but I used to, there’s a corner of high voltage I helped build, for me it’s distance to Cannock vs the time I actually have, would love to have a spare day to help.

The rollers the FC have held up the opening for whatever reason.

prawny

It’ll be sploshy tomorrow, rain forecast tonight and all day tomorrow. It was dry earlier in the week, but it wouldn’t have taken much to wet it out again.

It’s never muddy though, so as long as you’re prepared for puddles it’ll be fine. I was going to go out at 7 this morning, but I couldn’t be arsed and went to bed for another 2 hours.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cannock conditions please?’ is closed to new replies.