Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cannock Chase . . . touristy stuff
  • Esme
    Free Member

We're going to explore Cannock Chase this weekend. Any suggestions of what to look out for? Industrial archeology, cute deer, war connections, geology – anything except Follow the Dog!

I'd really like to find the memorial to Freda, the New Zealand Rifles mascot dog
    Freda's grave

Anything else a tourist ought to see?

Many thanks!
    Esme

mike_check
    Free Member

There is a fair bit of stuff to explore including a couple of war memorials, ancient settlement site at Castle Ring, glacial boulder up Brocton carried down in the glaciers that formed the landscape, loads of deer up Brocton way too.

Your best bet would probably be to start at the visitors centre at Marquis Drive and check out some of their guides, or the Museum of Cannock Chase up near Castle Ring, see if there's some maps or someone will mark some main points on one for you, then explore from there.

-m-
    Free Member

Off the beaten track, but this is vaguely interesting if you can find it – there are various remains of the gardens hidden in the undergrowth (or were, but I haven't been in that particular part of the Chase for 15-20 years…)

st

Good luck finding the old hall, I remember heading up there as a kid through dense undergrowth and over barbed wire fences to get there, a very interesting place though. If you;re there on a guide trip it would be easier to get in but I don;t think it's open to the public.

As suggested above museum of Cannock Chase (which is in Hednesford) or the Marquis Drive VC where you can gen up on some local history and pick up the quaint map.

Freda's grave would be worthwhile stopping at if you;re walking past but the picture in the link you;ve posted is the extent of it.

The German war cemetery is a sombre place but interesting in a sobering way.

And then there's always Shugborough if you want a regular tourist attraction.

snakebite
    Free Member

and Dick Slee's cave.

ditto Stu and the Cemetery sentiments.

Castle Ring also worth a look..

Esme
    Free Member

Many thanks for these suggestions! I've put together a route visiting several 'features' – and several cafes – for the Shecycles Easy Ride on Sunday

And M's link to "Lost Country Houses" is fascinating . . .

Keef
    Free Member

If you go 'up the ring' look out for Snakey,'cause he'll probably want to fight you…….. 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase . . . touristy stuff’ is closed to new replies.