Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cannock Chase and those bloody BRAKING BUMPS
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

They are bloody fantastic. Just had a great time there, the first time on a HT, and loved every minute of it.

satchm00
    Free Member

It’s pretty rutted in places and the conditions are constantly changing which is good as it keeps you on your toes 🙂

Did you try over the Monkey side? I prefer it as the descents are well worth the effort for all the extra climbs.

colournoise

Only been to Cannock a couple of times. On a HT the braking bumps are definitely something that keeps you on your toes. Some are unavoidable and you just need to hold on and grit your teeth, but a lot of the time some creative line choices take them out of the equation.

Either way, it’s all just riding a bike no?

slainte 😀 rob

I_Ache
    Free Member

To be honest I only rode the monkey. I much prefer it and the parking is easier in the evenings. I know some people moan about the monkey being loads of climbing for no reward. But as someone who hates climbing I really enjoy the climbs on the monkey, they are interesting and you have to think about what you are doing. Much better than the long steep fire road slogs, I hate them.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

It was grinding paste over the weekend!

I_Ache
    Free Member

It still is. I was struggling to raise/lower my seatpost by the end because of all the grit.

satchm00
    Free Member

Yes I’ve heard a few moans about the climbs, there not really climbs compared to some of the stuff up north.

wimps!

scotchegg
    Free Member

I just did the the Dog today. I am still getting back into riding after a 10 year break.

All I can say it how bloody slippy are the cobbles!!!

I had 2 off’s due to slip sliding about. Screwed my knee so shelved the monkey.

I just need to stop breathing out my bottom on the tiny climbs.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What cobbles? The only place I can think is the short steep climb just after the little bridge over the stream near the start.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Yup the short climp afer the start. Also the climp 2/3 of the way round.

I came a croper near the 3 or 4 jumpy type things. No idea where I was. Got a little too quick for my boots.

Any better tyres than conti explorers?

scotchegg
    Free Member

Just to mention I was on a 11 year old small santa cruz chameleon with rs psylo’s and origional XT disc brakes. I lost the front brake half way round. Might just need a bleed….

Larger FS on order!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Try a Maxxis High Roller on the front and a Larson TT on the back, both in 2.35 maxxpro. They work fantastically for me everywhere I have ridden.

By the jumpy things I am guessing you mean the twisty DH though the trees just after the fire road climb.

The Chameleon should be fine around the dog, no the most comfortable but definitely capable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase and those bloody BRAKING BUMPS’ is closed to new replies.