Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • Cannock Chase
  • iain1775
    Free Member

them idiots?
    your the one that drove 7 hours to ride a bike, passing some of the best bike riding terrain in the country in the process, regardless of how crap or good cannock is, that has to be viewed as an idiotic thing to do 😉

besides you saw a fraction of what the Chase has to offer, and it sounds like you would have been better suited to Style Cop, maybe next time you should do some research of your own rather than listening to others and blindly following like a sheep?

But thanks anyway for your valued and informed opinion, I hope you remembered to take your litter home and repaired your braking bumps and skids before leaving

Townfox
    Free Member

I didn't drive 7 hours just for Cannock i was staying in the area so i asked what was about, people bigged up Cannock so i went. And yes it is my opinion which is something i'm entitled to vent on here.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Townfox – Member

I didn't drive 7 hours just for Cannock i was staying in the area so i asked what was about, people bigged up Cannock so i went. And yes it is my opinion which is something i'm entitled to vent on here.

Absolutely-you are entitled to vent your opinion no matter how idiotic it may appear 😉

LHS
    Free Member

Cannock is sh*t if:

You pootle around slowly
    You go on the weekend

Cannock is great if:

You fly round at speed
    You go during the week

neil853
    Free Member

I think this post is a wind up, has to be 🙄

stilltortoise
    Free Member

but the 1st hour of the ride was dull

FIRST hour? I bet half the Cannock locals don't take more than an hour to do the whole of the MOnkey Trail.

Cannock is great if:

You fly round at speed

I live on the edge of the Peak District and just under an hour from Cannock. Both are great. Granted it is not Glentress, but there's plenty of fun to be had there with the many opportunities to get airborne, the bits of north shore and just ragging it round as fast as you can. I've not even tried Stile Cop yet.

Townfox
    Free Member

yeh cos the trials are just totally different on a Tuesday compared to a Saturday – WTF??

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have said it before on here an I'll say it again. If you live around the midlands area like me the chase is the only real option. I live around the Tamworth area and it's crap for biking. Skinny wheels are no problems but if I want to get muddy then it's off to Cannock. The off piste stuff is great and the monkey is a God send.

The chase is what it is.

I would love to have a choice of top notch trail centres and natural stuff on my door step but thats the way the cookie crumbles.

At least you have tried it.

Townfox
    Free Member

aye well thats it like – its another one to tick off the list – Going to Afan in 2 weeks for the first time then back up tp Glentress back end of September.. Cant wait..

scruff
    Free Member

Townfox, as daft as it may seem alot of stuff gets closed down for the weekend due to all the daft weekender Brummies not being able to ride the more difficult sections. So yes the Saturday marked loops are different to those midweek.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

just another angle to neil's-on-wheels here. I have the Peak District on my doorstep. If I'm keen I don't even have to get in the car for some great riding. But you know what, sometimes I get bored of it. Sometimes I like to rag around a groomed trail centre knowing I'm not going to come across a stile every hundred metres, a load of ramblers, an unrideable mud section or a mahoosive climb just for a 2 minute descent. Not all the best singletrack is natural you know.

Keef
    Free Member

'another one to tick off the list'………..

says it all.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

'another one to tick off the list'………..

says it all.
    😆

andyfb78
    Free Member

Well I think that is a poor show for anyone to say something built largely by volunteers is crap. Unless you happen to have been out and built all the trails at those other centres yourself, I think that is rude.

Given the geography (largely flat) they have to play with Chase trails have created somethign that is fun, easy to navigate, open to all with friendly facilities

You are lucky you live near hills.

I have ridden at Cannock for many years and have also been to the 'bigger' trail centres in Wales and Scotland. Yes true those based in bigger hills offer better riding, but then the areas survive on tourist money and so the fact that something is provided where this is not needed is ace.

Sorry if it doesn't have big enough jumps for you, but it has helped me introduce more people to the fun of biking than big jumps and drops can do, and the smiles and fun they have had makes Cannock priceless in my eyes.

Yes the trails are suffering, due to their popularity most likely.

I'd like to use this to say thanks to chase trails for what they have created, and the many days of fun I have had there over the years.

Cheers

LHS
    Free Member

yeh cos the trials are just totally different on a Tuesday compared to a Saturday – WTF??

Eloquent.

I'll give you 7/10 for the troll.

iain1775
    Free Member

Townfox – Member
    Took me 3.5 to get to Cannock and just felt a bit let down..

Posted 13 hours ago

didn't drive 7 hours just for Cannock i was staying in the area

so what you moaning about then?
    If I went and stayed around a predominantly urban environment and popped out somewhere for a ride I wouldnt then come on here saying it was shit because it doesnt compare to the wide open spaces I have back home and I definately wouldnt say the locals arnt proper bikers because they are unfortunate enough not to live near a bunch of rocks

Cannock serves a very large urban population. Its the best there is round these parts, but its a damn site better than other similar flatland forests like Sherwood or Thetford. I don't think anyone would compare it to GT or any of the other 7 staines

You found the best trail centre there is locally whilst you where doing other things, you should rejoice that there where marked trails so you didnt spend all day lost circling round on fireroads – Cannock Chase covers over 70km2, you saw less than 16km of that, there is a whole lot more out there if you know where to look (15 years visiting the Chase I find new trails everytime I visit)

As for week against weekend (LOL at Scruff) it stands to reason that with a third almost of the UK's population within an hour or so of the chase weekends get very busy and attract all sorts of clueless muppets, so mid week is quieter and you can ride round faster and unhindered by the Toys R Us and Asda bike brigade

Oh and I look forward to next months "I went Afan and it was crap" thread
    Avoid The Wall if I was you, endless fireroad climbing, something you cant level at Cannock, at least the uphills are interesting
    (I thought similar about GT Red actually, alot of fireroad climb to get to a couple of really good sections) Whilst its not 'technical' I actually find Cannock more challenging, just because of the speed you can get up to on the last two descents combined with the loose marbled corners

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Apparently some gayers are riding it with suspension and gears FFS!

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

And another thing, there is another method of riding the follow the dog section. Locals know of it. Trail centre mbr reading all mountain types may not be privvy to this.

simondbarnes

I've just got back from my first visit to Cannock. It rocks hugely. Miles of warp speed, twisty, tree lined singletrack. Well done to the trail pixies who have built it.

takisawa2

yeh but whats to like about it??

Well your 3hrs away for a start. 😆

Very predictable TrailCentre-Tourist-MBUK-Big-Huck-Gnarly-BigRig-Wannabee troll rant.
    -1/10.

speaker2animals

No interest in jumps so good stuff for me. I have to say I think that there is as good as, if not better riding to be found all over the Chase but it takes some getting to know. 3.5hr drive – no way jose. Could you have not to a Scottish trail centre from where you are for that drive?

postierich
    Free Member

Simon shame I missd you hope you tried some off piste!

simondbarnes

Rich, no. Was just there on a demo day with Spesh so stuck to the built stuff. Am sure there is tons of good off piste stuff there though.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

johnnywhitesox – Apparently some gayers are riding it with suspension and gears FFS!

and them funny clown wheels 😯

iain1775
    Free Member

Stu McGroo – Member

johnnywhitesox – Apparently some gayers are riding it with suspension and gears FFS!

and them funny clown wheels

backwards!

_tom_
    Free Member

Apparently some gayers are riding it with suspension and gears FFS!

trolling aside, I don't really "get" it when I see full sus bikes on the monkey. I know people can ride what they want so long as they're having fun, but it does seem a bit excessive for all apart from the black rocky sections.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

trolling aside, I don't really "get" it when I see full sus bikes on the monkey. I know people can ride what they want so long as they're having fun, but it does seem a bit excessive for all apart from the black rocky sections.

If it's the only bike you posses then what's a man to do.?

A hardtail is a lot quicker round there overall but a bouncer is lot of fun on the last two sections.

_tom_
    Free Member

A hardtail is a lot quicker round there overall but a bouncer is lot of fun on the last two sections.

I can imagine it is 🙂 I love M8, awesome fast and twisty singletrack descent.

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be honest when me and my mate went we enjoyed it.

Both massively over biked (FS with 130mm in my case) but it was a laugh, I said to him that next time I'd take my HT or even the SS. But not knowing what to expect first time I played it safe.

It's a trail centre where the builders seem to have made the very most out of the terrain they have, which is nice.

Definitely would go again too, you can't go riding in Wales, the Lakes or the Peaks all the time, sometimes a change is good.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

As i only have the one bike ( a double boinger) then thats what i'll ride round the monkey 😉

One day i WILL get a HT and go have some fun

Oh and it's more fun at night !

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Not done the night ride thing on the monkey yet. It's about the only thing I am looking forward to when the nights get longer.

Bat1
    Free Member

ride cannock a bit but havn't done the MT yet as been told its sh1T

h4muf
    Free Member

ride cannock a bit but havn't done the MT yet as been told its sh1T

????

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I'm not a huge fan of trail centres but I certainly wouldn't come away from one saying that I feel 'let down'. Someone's gone to the effort of designing and building trails for everyone to enjoy and you feel 'let down'. Maybe you could develop your own trail centre and invite as all then we can tell you if we feel let down or not.

Bunnyhop

I really enjoyed it on my HT last month especially the Monkey trail. Was shocked though at the number of people riding who were over biked and struggling up the ascents.

Only disappointment was the early closing time of the cafe, on a busy, sunny, Sunday afternoon.

st

Well me and a mate started Chase Trails a wee while back so I feel reasonably able to stop by here.

Comparing our trails the the great outdoors or the large scale trail centres is naive to say the least. All the positive comments on forums and in the mtb press are justifiably raised but bear in mind that your talking about a 26 square mile forest in an area with an elevation change of a couple of hundred feet at best. It's on one of the largest sand and gravel deposits in Europe and has no bedrock to speak of.

I'm satisfied that both FtD and the Monkey eek all of the potential of the specific locations they have been constructed in but don't expect the best riding experience in th UK.

Berrate it if you wish but it's a bit c*ntish.

Oh and at the moment I ride a full suss on the Chase, I have a pretty dodgy back but have ridden geared hardtails and rigid ss bikes. I do have a big c0ck of course but why criticise people for riding the bike they own?

Don't get me started the Nomad riding, full body armour wearing, Bearclaw wannabes who bottle the rock sections…

Townfox
    Free Member

Scruff – i rode the full trail, there were no sections closed off at 7am Saturday morning

xckeith1 – what does it say then, please do tell. Just cos i like to spread my wings a little and ride all over our fine nation rather than sticking to the same boring trail everytime. If you do live near cannock and thats all you ride then i'm sorry for you, you should really try somewhere new, you might actually feel what its like to ride some proper trails and enjoy the sport more

andyfb78 – did you shed a tear writing that because i nearly did reading it

iain1775 – you dont suffer from vertigo then up there on your soapbox?? So now your saying Cannock is better than Glentress?? Your having a laugh fella surely?? I've been to Glentress loads and its not even worth the effort going into that one

takisawa2 – trail centre tourist eh? whats makes one of those? I ride beceause i like the feeling of having been battered but with a huge smile on my face while doing it. I left cannock with none of that

1961Bikie – like i've said before i'm only 2 hours away from Glentress which i regard as the best riding in this country, although i aint been to Fort Bill yet. I was just suprised as cannock got bigged up so much on here and other forums

GiantJaun – I've spent what seems like a lifetime building trails, first at Kielder and then at Hamsterley. you;ll be first to know though when i've built my own, you wouldn't be disapointed though

iain1775
    Free Member

Townfox
    Im not on any soapbox, Im also not a huge fan of Cannock (I like it for what it is yes, but its not the best by far), or of trail centres in general – they serve a purpose, a quick convienient fix. I do appreciate though what VOLUNTEERS have done there with very little to work with (elevation, ground conditions etc)
    I never said its better than GT, in fact I actually said the two where uncomparable, but I felt similar to you when I went to GT, probably in similar circumstances to you – I was working in the area and called in for a couple of hours, did one red route and that was it. I thought it was a long boring slog to the top followed by 15 minutes of good stuff, the tiny bit I rode certnally didnt for me live up to its hype I didnt however go slagging it off online, mainly because I understood there was much more there than I had ridden
    I also hate fireroad climbs, I find them a lazy way to gain elevation. I thought there was far too much fireroad to get up to the top of Spooky Wood, I also thought there was too much at Afan (Wall and Penhydd), all are good trails though, they just take a while to get going, I certinaly wouldnt complain about them though, the give me a quick fix and it works
    Cannock however is pretty much all singletrack, very little fireroad (one bit that is temporary whilst the final section of the Monkey is completed) and the fact the climbs are also interesting is too be commended given what they had to work with
    Personally I think it has elements of lots of different places, sections remind me a little bit of Llandegla, parts of the climbs remind me of the first climb at Whites Level at Afan and the last two sections of Monkey remind me of GT Spooky Wood just for the speed you can get and how easy it can be to get involuntary air, I wouldnt say its comparable to any of them or is the best though, far from it (Trailcentre wise I much prefer Mabie or Kirroughtree) but I don't think anyone would (or has) claimed that
    It certinally seems to be getting some well deserved thumbs up though

To say you regard GT as the best riding in the country about sums you up for me. Its not all about driving hours to get to a trail cenre, there is plenty more out there, much of it probably accessible directly outside your front door
    What have you riden that isnt man made? Peaks, North York Moors, Quantocks, Lakes?
    Come on tell us what doesnt make you a 'trail centre tourist' and what makes you so qualified to judge a place because it 'doesnt have eough airtime'? (if I want jumps I would ride 10 minutes to the local BMX track and mix it up with the 8 year olds rather than drive 7 hours to a midlands forest)

(steps off soapbox)

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

(Trailcentre wise I much prefer Mabie or Kirroughtree)

I'd second that. Not been to many of the seven stanes but Mabie was totally awesome. It has a really natural feel to it and flows really nicely. GT is fun but I doubt I'll be going back there any time soon.

_tom_
    Free Member

why criticise people for riding the bike they own?

I'm not criticising, just saying I find it a bit odd to see people on that sort of bike there. Fair enough if it's their only bike or if it's a new one they just can't resist riding though!

I also thought it was a bit weird when someone said to me "can't believe you're doing this on a hardtail" at the bottom of one of the descents.

iain, what bit of fire road is temporary? The long one on the way back up to where the Monkey rejoins FTD?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase’ is closed to new replies.