Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cannock Chase?
  • Kryton57

Its been suggested to me that before I race on the 27th (The Dirty Nocka), I travel up to Cannock this Saturday for course familiarity.

Thing is, thats 3 hours each way for me, do I really need to? Hows the course so different from any other XC course? I’m racing for 6 hours and will get a practise lap in as I’m staying nearby the night before so can arrive early.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Instead of rock, or mud or grass it’s marbles.

bails

Your practise lap the night before sounds like it’ll do the job.

twonks

There was a run/race on last weekend as I was there watching them go far too fast 😉

If they use the same course they might have left it signed and taped up but I doubt it as all and sundry will be ruining it.

Because of that I’d probably not bother as it won’t use much if any of the regular trails and finding your way around will be more hassle than it’s worth as there are paths and routes everywhere around the chase.

If you know the course or can meet somebody who does it may be a different thing but, even then the weather can change it significantly so I’d not be too fussed with the distance being that great.

Edit, Just seen the 6 hours bit. Apart from it being mad, just how much difference can knowing the course a little better be on a 10K route. After a couple of laps you’ll have it sussed and still have time to progress in the race. I’d chance it and take a couple of sets of tyres for dry / wet instead.

rOcKeTdOg

Cannock has some short steep climbs, lots of sandy gritty soil, baby head polished pebbles in places and can also get quite rooty. It’s still fairly dry though so the boggy bits should be dry enough.

Kryton57

Thanks all, sounds like a midlands version of a Gorrick race. I watched a couple of vids on YouTube and it all looks quite sane.

just how much difference can knowing the course a little better be on a 10K route

Helps to keep up with the leaders on lap 1 through the red mist without being surprised into a mistake.

Thanks for the feedback.

2tyred

British XC round there last weekend, it used most of the normal bits just in a slightly different order than normal.

I’ve only ever been there for racing, don’t know what else there is that could potentially be used.

Only over been one technical feature of note, a short rock garden. Everything else is rooty woodland singletrack and forest road. There’s nothing steep. Much of the ground is made up of weirdly smooth little stones that feel like marbles when its wet. Was a bit muddy last weekend in the parts of the forest with thicker tree cover but nothing too bad.

stumpy01

It’s just a lumpy version of Thetford. You’ll be fine. 😉

BillOddie

Watch out for the Wallabies…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you can manage fine around Crowthorn or Minley, there’s no need to travel up before hand, val do Sole it is not! It can be tricky to ride at pace due to the polished pebbles in places and the rock features can be awkward, but nothing dangerous.

scruff
    Free Member

If its a nightride around the Tackeroo area you will more than likely see the wallabies. They are attracted to lights in the trees for some reason, we see them alot.

rOcKeTdOg

is the permit part of the race entry? if not be prepared if the wardens ask to see it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase?’ is closed to new replies.