Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cannock Chase
  • EddyDave
    Free Member

Hey all,

I’m at Staffordshire University and for some reason I have only made it out to the chase for about half an hour to suss it out. But that was in a friends car. Now I’m wondering how many of you have ever got the train to Rugeley Town and ridden to the Chase? With a bike. How easy is this?

And who goes out riding there regularly? Cos I haven’t found anyone to ride with! Im interested in the XC loops (though at the mo I wont be all that fast on the ups as my full sus frame is about 2 sizes too small for pedaling and my HT is at home) and Some flowy technical DH though I’m not a fan of huge air! Mainly cos I suck.

Anyway please let me know!

Ta

Eddy

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

never ridden tot he chase from the station myself but seen people getting off with mtbs when on my way elsewhere.

and i know of others who have done it

Chris-S
    Free Member

Its only 4-5 miles from Stafford to the top end of the chase – Why not ride it ??

flip
    Free Member

I live in Cannock, get train to Rugeley if you like and your right on it.

Or as said it’s not far from Stafford 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’ve ridden to the top secret start location for the infamous thursday night rides on the chase from stafford station.

i’m sure one of the lovely hospitable thursday night types would happily let you know where that is

careful though, the 22:43 sprint for last orders can be a killer

BigJohn

The downhill is at Stile Cop which is just up the road (up as in up a gert big hill) from the Station.

The (unofficial) XC trails start at Milford Common which is about a 10 minute ride from Beaconside, if you’re at the Stafford site. Thinking about it though, it’s still a 10 minute ride from Beaconside if you’re at the Stoke site. The nearest bit of FtD to Milford is about 20 mins away, passing lots of better stuff en route.

Keef
    Free Member

easy ride from Staffs town center down the canal to Milford,bout 20 mins,get off at back of Mamoth cycles,cross the road and yer there.

PS,
    wot Mr MW says about the Thursdee lot is all true……….

Keef
    Free Member

Oh and look out for grumpy old men on SS’s or even worse on Fixed gearies (esp. those with guitars) 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

grumpy old men?

isn’t that the entire lot of you?

Keef
    Free Member

Mike,I fear you’re tarring me with the wrong brush…..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

what snakebite does to you with brushes should probably be kept on the trails

Keef
    Free Member

shhhhhhhh !

EddyDave
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts guys! I was actually after the best way to get to the Chase Trails centre really. As that is all clearly marked stuff. But if I was able to link up with any of the people from the site posted my scruff (thanks!) I may well find my way onto the other stuff 😀

Thanks for the help!

flip
    Free Member

Thanks for the posts guys! I was actually after the best way to get to the Chase Trails centre really.

If you mean Birches Valley it’s only a couple of miles, if that, from Rugeley town.

BigJohn

The marked trails are loops. You can start at any point on the loop.

tomaso
    Free Member

When I was a student in Wolves we all cycled to Cannock Chase and thats 12 miles so Stafford should be a doddle. But yes Rugeley station is nearer still and I can’t see it being a problem on a branch line.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m guessing your at Staffs Uni Beconside? If so head past the Crematorium and then go over the crossroad, stick to the narrow lane (over a couple of bridges) into Baswhich, keep on the main road till it ends, head left to Milford, at Mammoth Bikes go follow the road on the right to the start of FTD, or, ask the guys in mammoth were the start and trails are. It’s not far at all going this route I can mark a map if you want.

scruff
    Free Member

From beaconside go over the island where the chemist /doctors are up to the fire station, right down the grass bank, through all the houses, at main road go right then left, right and over the 1st bridge, then left onto canal at next bridge, about 1 mile go over the bridge (no other option) then track back onopposite side, under railway and through farm, left on main road to Milforsd. Faster and less road than above.

BigJohn

Well, I’d go left at the Crem and down to Tixall (Christopher Wren’s only parish church, well worth a visit, rumours of hidden treasure too) and then right to Milford. A lovely ride in itself.

EddyDave
    Free Member

I shall give those routes a go today! Ta 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cannock Chase’ is closed to new replies.