• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by piha.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • “Canelo” Alvarez
  • Pigface
    Free Member

Just became light heavyweight world Champion, that is some feat.

One loss against Mayweather and IMO a dodgy win over Triple G but still

I think there was a drug scandal along the way as well but to go from light middleweight to light heavyweight is astonishing

tpbiker
    Free Member

Being a drugs cheat in a sport where the intention is to beat your opponent to a pulp, and every time a competitor steps in the ring he’s putting his life at risk, is absolutely unforgivable.

loddrik
    Free Member

May weather schooled him good. And Canelo now with more experience against a Mayweather then would still get schooled.

Canelo is fantastic, Floyd in his prime was unbeatable.

transporter13
    Free Member

Picks and chooses his opponents.. Waited for a few years for golovkin to get old…no chance in hell he’d face a prime kovalev. Also has a habit of getting opponents to agree to a 10lb rehydration clause which really limits the bigger guys

mooman
    Free Member

Canelo had just turned 23 yrs old when he fought Mayweather … and took him the full 12 rnds to lose on points. Floyd in his prime would be too small against Canelo in his prime.
    Floyd had some close fights, and as most top boxers today do – he chose his opponents carefully, especially as he moved up the weights. I felt De La Hoya beat him, and there are others boxers who pushed him very close too.

Steroid use has shadowed Canelo career the last few years; and its hard to not believe there is not something behind it … but steroids dont put muscles on chins or increase your skill level (as Anthony Joshua demonstrated last time out) and Canelo is without doubt one of the best boxers today.

transporter13

Subscriber
    Also has a habit of getting opponents to agree to a 10lb rehydration clause which really limits the bigger guys

A habit you say? strange habit that as far as I know its the first time its been in a fight contract of his; he is pretty well known for previously putting on a huge amount of weight when he fought in the lower weights.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought Kovavlev was beating him! But that was a perfect display of letting a man wear himself down and then taking him out late in the fight. Very impressive.
    Doesn’t seem like that long ago Kovalev was looking unbeatable against Cleverly.
    Wonder if Canelo will go for a unification against Artur Beterbiev… doubt it, but there aren’t a lot of other big challenges at the weight.

MSP

but steroids dont put muscles on chins or increase your skill level

Of course steroids increase skill levels, training 6 hours a day 6 days a week instead of 4 hours a day 4 days a week allows steroid users to massively increase skill levels compared to clean athletes. It is just an omerta myth that claims roids don’t benefit skill sports.

DezB
    Free Member

I also got round to watching Josh Taylor beat Regis Prograis – that was a fantastic achievement (and a great fight). Taylor is really impressive to watch, has me shaking my head in amazement every time I see him 🙂

BoardinBob

I have my suspicions that Canelo is back on the Russian supplements again.

Last time out Kov survived some very heavy shots from Yarde who is an absolute beast, albeit an inexperienced one, but he still gave Kov a real pasting in the 8th round of their fight and Kov survived.

Canelo suddenly steps up to LHW and KO’s Kov in the 11th?

Either Kov has aged massively, and it does happen, or Canelo’s meat is “tainted” again

DezB
    Free Member

My word – just found Inoue v Donaire on Sky catch up. If you haven’t seen it, watch it!
    There have been some fight of the year contenders lately, but this one takes it for me (well, obviously until KSI v Logan Paul)(not really).
    Mad bit of refereeing in the 11th too. Where do they find these morons??
    But yeah, watch it, even if you know the result!!

djflexure

Last time out Kov survived some very heavy shots from Yarde who is an absolute beast, albeit an inexperienced one, but he still gave Kov a real pasting in the 8th round of their fight and Kov survived.

Canelo timed those two shots to perfection though, and he was lose when he let them go. My memory of the Yarde fight was that he loading up much more.

mooman
    Free Member

DezB

Subscriber

Wonder if Canelo will go for a unification against Artur Beterbiev… doubt it, but there aren’t a lot of other big challenges at the weight.

Beterbiev is a monster in the division. Canelo had said before that he has no intention of staying at LHW .. move down – or up again is his intention. But he nor anybody around him have mentioned Beterbiev!!

MSP

Of course steroids increase skill levels, training 6 hours a day 6 days a week instead of 4 hours a day 4 days a week allows steroid users to massively increase skill levels compared to clean athletes. It is just an omerta myth that claims roids don’t benefit skill sports.

Dont be so ridiculous. You dont get skills or talent from a bottle. Putting in more practice than other people will allow you to get to a certain level faster than the guy who doesnt train as much, but ultimately you will plateau out skill level wise .. and natural talent enables your skill set to grow to reach the higher levels.
    Steroids would benefit sports such as weightlifting or cycling where its purely strength or endurance, but boxing at a certain level is about skill, power, reflexes and instincts.

BoardinBob

Subscriber
    I have my suspicions that Canelo is back on the Russian supplements again.

Canelo suddenly steps up to LHW and KO’s Kov in the 11th?

Either Kov has aged massively, and it does happen, or Canelo’s meat is “tainted” again

Yarde gave Kov a scare for sure, and I am sure that seeing KOV so vulnerable against a novice was what made Canaelo so eager to face him so soon; I think it was clear that Kov would get beaten by the next decent guy he faced. So after such a punishing fight, and with stamina issues identified in his last few fights team Canelo get Kov back in the ring within about 2mths … so an already old tired fighter has got to put his body through another training camp pretty much straight after a gruelling fight. Hence why he hardly threw any big shots and relied on boxing Canelo with the jab.

ctk
    Free Member

but boxing at a certain level is about skill, power, reflexes and instincts.

Power definitely improved with steroids. The ability to train more & train harder is really a factor to consider also.

Canelo lost to GGG in the first fight which grates like **** with me however this win over Kovalev is massive for his legacy imo.

DezB
    Free Member

Canelo discussion was over! Watch the Inoue fight! 😆

mooman
    Free Member

ctk

Power definitely improved with steroids. The ability to train more & train harder is really a factor to consider also.

I agree that steroids improve power and ability to train longer and harder, but boxing at even at decent domestic level is about so many other important factors such as some of the ones I have identified.
    Its like saying to make a cake all you need is eggs and sugar … yes they are needed; but you cant make even the most basic cake with just those two ingredients.

piha
    Free Member

Mooman, that’s a good review of Canelo v Kov.

I watched it yesterday and I thought Canelo was never overly troubled and stuck to his game plan. A very powerful punching display when Canelo hit Kov to end the fight. Although tainted by previous drug issues, I don’t think anyone can question Canelo’s boxing credentials.

I’ll take a look at the Inoue fight and if you haven’t already, I would recommend taking a look at Daniel Dubois. I think he has a stellar career ahead of him.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘“Canelo” Alvarez’ is closed to new replies.