Cane Creek IL Coil

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Cane Creek IL Coil
  • has anyone used this in anger? anything positive/negative to report? gonna borrow one off my mate (slickandslide suspension – thanks rick!)

for the price how comparable is it to say a ext storia/push 11?

is it just a bargain or paying almost double, are the ext and push lightyears ahead?

this will be my first coil – and its on a Bronson v3 (if that matters)

neilforrow

OW – i’m running a CCDB IL on a V3 Bronson and it is a superb damper. Wayyyy better than the stock RS unit. The main point is it’s adjustablity – the other units you mention are first class, but really need to be fine tuned off the bike living you with little scope once you get it.

I haven’t ridden either of them, but as they say – a well services damper is better than an expensive unserviced one. I’d go for the IL and regularly service it – still comes out a lot more cost effective!

Other point is that if this is your first coil – you may not like it. The more expensive units are a big punt on that alone.

scruff

I’ve had one on my Banshee for about 6 months, had 3 Inline airs shit themselves and a factory float loose its rebound before hand. It works great, supportive and smooth with no trapdoor effect or harshness at all and is way better than the previous Fox shock especially at speed and is so far reliable. Its a coil XC shock so doubt it will offer the performance of an ext or push but it depends what your riding, most of the time I’m riding tight wooded singletrack. I use the climb switch quite a bit to kill the bobbing.

mashr

Its a coil XC shock

What makes you say that?

Premier Icon fathomer
    Subscriber

This is the one thing I wouldn’t mind demoing having never used a coil and being very curious. Plus the IL come in the odd size that my bike runs.

neilforrow

OW – i’m running a CCDB IL on a V3 Bronson and it is a superb damper. Wayyyy better than the stock RS unit. The main point is it’s adjustablity – the other units you mention are first class, but really need to be fine tuned off the bike living you with little scope once you get it.
    I haven’t ridden either of them, but as they say – a well services damper is better than an expensive unserviced one. I’d go for the IL and regularly service it – still comes out a lot more cost effective!
    Other point is that if this is your first coil – you may not like it. The more expensive units are a big punt on that alone.

ooooooooooooowwww! interesting, cheers for replying, especially on the same bike –

ill be honest, I am not a fiddler with my suspension – I prefer to just set it and forget ( I can get my mate to do the initial setup as he knows what hes on about) I just know how I want it to feel if that makes sense

so a few questions on the Bronson – does it massively affect the way it climbs (positive/negative??) bobbing and sapping of power on longer days out? or does the climb switch work effectively?

also (and the main reason!) Im looking to iron out the small bump stuff, you know, roots, and tech sections without it feeling like im being buckaroo’d/twitchy, from what ive heard this is the beauty of a coil – how much better does it feel over stock air shock? I added the lower bearing mount to my dpx2 which made it a lot smoother over smaller stuff, but then its still not as smooth as id like it to be, its on chattery loose stuff I just don’t get the feeling of ultimate control (crap at explaining) of the rear end

scruff – cheers, sounds like what Im after, and eradicating the harshness would be ideal, its not overly harsh but I feel it could be a fair bit smoother, whether that’s because of the new lower link and you can feel it more through your feet I don’t know

fathomer – yeh I had a read up on the cotic site seems they are pretty keen on them too and offer as a upgrade so assume it will work well on the suspension layout

mtbqwerty

I have a CCDB IL on my Carbine…awesome piece of kit…highlighted how bad my forks were no end

DrP

ill be honest, I am not a fiddler with my suspension – I prefer to just set it and forget ( I can get my mate to do the initial setup as he knows what hes on about) I just know how I want it to feel if that makes sense

This is why cane creek ‘make’ you change the rebound/compression with a 3mm allen key, rather than externally adjustable. They say you should set it, and then leave it..i.e NOT fiddle on the trails.

I guess this only rally applies as you can adjust both high and low speed settings.

I’ve recently fitted an inline Air, but not ridden it yet!
    I saw the BLACK coil IL recently…schwing!

DrP

Premier Icon supersessions9-2
    Subscriber

I’m also curious about getting one for my flare max as an upgrade from the X fusion standard air shock.

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

I have one on my Jeffsy. It’s superb. Climbing is very good, oodles of traction and the climb switch is about the best I’ve used. I believe it affects both compression and rebound circuits so it makes for a very balanced climbing shock. Going downhill it’s miles ahead of the Fox air shock it replaced.

DrP

#excited to get to ride mine this weekend!

I’m such a tech geek, the oodles of adjustment appeals to me..I’ve really enjoyed reading the cane creek website and set up info, understanding how high and low speed rebound are different etc etc (it never dawned on me that high speed rebound situations can ONLY be from big compressions, from example…)

DrP

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Have one on my Hightower (v1) and generally very happy with it. I find I do use the climb mode as there is definitely more bob due to the extra sensitivity at the start of the stroke. Conversely, the climb mode is not a full lock-out and I often use it on easier trails to liven things up a little.

Negatively, I have the remote for the operation of the climb mode which I don’t find particularly ergonomic (but then it does have to operate in both push & pull directions) and the cable routing isn’t great (perpendicular to the bars). Oh, and it fell apart and lost a piece because the tiny bolts weren’t threadlocked.

some food for thought there, sounds like its all fairly positive over air shocks your coming from, I know it wont have the same sort of lock out as a traditional air shock but as long as its not bobbing on every pedal stroke then thats cool

im willing to sacrifice it to some extent just to iron out the other end of it for descending

neilforrow

does it massively affect the way it climbs (positive/negative??) bobbing and sapping of power on longer days out? or does the climb switch work effectively?

also (and the main reason!) Im looking to iron out the small bump stuff, you know, roots, and tech sections without it feeling like im being buckaroo’d/twitchy, from what ive heard this is the beauty of a coil – how much better does it feel over stock air shock?

The lever works very well. Virtually eliminates bob etc. No worries on bigger days, and if anything it simply works better so ultimately you are less knackered at the end of it. Make sure you get the right spring rate and perhaps have a selection too for days where you’ll be going to venues like BPW’s or alps (if thats what you do) and summer / winter. The air shock does have an advantage there if you fiddle, but it doesnt sound like you do.

The smaller to mid size stuff is where it excels. It is very supple and nails what you have described. I got mine for the same reason.

SC say on their site that the Bronson isn’t great for a coil shock given the leverage, but I dont find this. Maybe on bigger hits a bit more ramp up would be good, but thats no big deal for me.

The lever works very well. Virtually eliminates bob etc. No worries on bigger days, and if anything it simply works better so ultimately you are less knackered at the end of it. Make sure you get the right spring rate and perhaps have a selection too for days where you’ll be going to venues like BPW’s or alps (if thats what you do) and summer / winter. The air shock does have an advantage there if you fiddle, but it doesnt sound like you do.
    The smaller to mid size stuff is where it excels. It is very supple and nails what you have described. I got mine for the same reason.
    SC say on their site that the Bronson isn’t great for a coil shock given the leverage, but I dont find this. Maybe on bigger hits a bit more ramp up would be good, but thats no big deal for me.

thanks for that – reassuring ref the climb switch – will check out springs, don’t want to be blowing through travel but id say im relatively ‘light’ rider in terms of weight and riding style so never smash through the travel on my air shock

didn’t know that about SC stating coil shocks – interesting – as ive seen a few now and they’ve said it transforms the way it rides, yourself included.

that’s what I wanted to hear about it on the stuff im after it for on smaller to mid size stuff, sounds good, cant wait to try one now, hoping they live up to the hype 🙂

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’ve run one on a couple of bikes. It was an improvement in comfort and grip over a Fox X2 on my old Mega 290, but the X2 works notably better on my Stage 6.

This isn’t much help for a VPP, I know – but maybe depends what air shock you’re coming from?

Premier Icon Bigmantrials
    Subscriber

If you are worried about the lack of progression just order it with the new Cane Creek progressive spring.

I wish I had picked up a Coil IL when they were on offer recently (Either TF or JTech, can’t remember which) but maybe next year I will get one and give it a try.

Premier Icon orangespyderman
    Subscriber

didn’t know that about SC stating coil shocks – interesting – as ive seen a few now and they’ve said it transforms the way it rides, yourself included.

Cane Creek have just announced progressive springs which might address SC’s concerns.

chakaping

Subscriber
    I’ve run one on a couple of bikes. It was an improvement in comfort and grip over a Fox X2 on my old Mega 290, but the X2 works notably better on my Stage 6.

This isn’t much help for a VPP, I know – but maybe depends what air shock you’re coming from?

It’s got a dpx2 now, which feels no where near as smooth as my X2 on my nomad years ago

I’d likely order a new black version if I like the demo one

Thanks for all the feedback folks, learnt a lot all ready just from this thread

andylc

Bear in mind the progressive spring is only suitable for certain suspension types – many already have a progressive curve and therefore work better with a linear spring.

scruff

I got mine form Swinnos in Stoke, great shop and some good stuff on sale.

https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/sale/cane-creek-m445

kiksy

I have one on my Spitfire. I love it.

Adjustable as mentioned, light as well, so dependent on the spring you use there isn’t much of a penalty compared to air.

I’ve used a few other coil shocks, but to be honest they all feel the same to me – much better than even the best air suspension in my opinion.

I had a Fox X2 before and the coil is so much better.

Only downside is that it had the ‘knocking’ issue – twice. Sorted under warranty and has been fine for 6 months or so now.

neilforrow

OW: take a look: SC website notes:

Is this bike coil shock compatible?
    A coil shock will fit in the Bronson, but we recommend an air shock. While progressive, the suspension is biased more towards air shocks and not quite progressive enough to work well with a coil in our opinion.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/bronson

Not founded IMO. As noted earlier, it works really well for me and the adjustabilty is spot on.

poah

found the coil IL to be an awesome shock. I think for most people spending the cash on an ext or push coil is a waste and more of a look at me purchase.

Getting the CC set up can take some time so its worth while doing it properly.

awesome thanks for the pointers and help guys – hearing first hand off the neilforrow with the same frame is hugely positive, I really have got high hopes for this now

cheers will report back my experience when I get it to try 🙂

mashr

Note: when setting up the shock the app is great, just don’t trust it to save your setup for next time! Worth keeping everything written down as a backup

tdog

Does anyone happen to know if these shocks come as stock on any complete bike?

As I too have got the coil itch

tdog – I cant think of any tbh – they are mostly aftersales cane creek in general (certainly on big bike brands anyways) a few of the smaller uk bike companies offer them as a option on bikes (like airdrop and cotic I believe) but I don’t think ive ever seen a ‘big’ brand with any form of CC front or rear!

Premier Icon Bigmantrials
    Subscriber

I think Ghost were specing them on some of thier builds…..

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Just fitted one to my Intense Spider (130mm rear) and it’s miles better at everything than the factory Fox Float Evol that came off it.

I could have probably messed about with air volume and tunes etc, but I’d always wanted to try a coil. I left it on the tune TF recommended and had a proper ride on it the other week.

It pedals better, descends better and has loads more grip down and up! I use all of the travel now too, but it never seems to bottom out harshly (heavy rider and I ride the bike like something with more travel).

Plus they look cool 🙂

pigyn

Tdog – I am doing them on Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistols and Shred Dogs, I think it’s going to be £2599 for carbon frame Inc IL Coil 🤟

dumbbot

DBcoil IL is an option on the Swarf Contour and i’m going to be trying one on mine, i’ve been pretty happy with the simplicity of the Monarch but it is tuned really well to the frame, keen to try a coil for the first time.

and the stealth ones look sick.

jedi

I moved to cane creek coil Cs on the reign. Mixed with the yariup cartridge in the fork the bike feels incredible now

beagle

Apols for spamming, but I have a 200×75 in-line coil which will be on the classifieds soon.its had about 15 rides. With box and all bits.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Do you mean 200×57 ?

mikertroid

Over the years I’ve trashed a number of rear air shocks (don’t ask me how!) and after the RS Monarch air can cracked on my Boardman FS Pro, I went for a CC IL coil last year.

Very glad I have and its brought new life to a bike that was nearly going to be moved on. Adjustable, totally reliable and a great match for the bike, I’m delighted I went down that route.

beagle

Sorry. Yes 200×57. Fingers too quick for me!

Premier Icon bullroar
    Subscriber

@neilforrow, bit late to the party on this one but hopefully you will see this.

I had an inline coil on my Banshee Spitfire till the frame snapped in half last October. It was a TFT conversion from the Inline Air which would p*** air out of itself about 3 months after a service. The coil completely changed the ride, loved it.

I have recently built up a V3 Bronson CC with the stock Rockshox shock, disappointing the stock tune is quite poor for me and I can use the travel too easily. Currently running it about 50 psi over recommended (even then I am on 30% sag) and 8 or 9 clicks of compression damping and it is still not very good. I don’t see why I should be messing about with tokens and a fiddle fest so it doesn’t bottom out.

So I have been thinking about going back to the Inline coil. I am a bit nervous because of the SC warnings (repeated to me by Jungle). Your feedback is helpful in countering that advice. Did you use a stock Vault spring or one of the newer progressive jobs? Also how did you work out the spring rate, standard calculator or other method and did you end up going with a higher rate than estimated (I’ve seen posts elsewhere suggesting that is the way to go)?

Appreciate any feedback you can provide. Cheers.

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

Bullroar, if you fancy trying an IL coil drop me a message.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.