Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cane Creek Helm owners – mudguards?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

As suggested by the title, I want to hear which mudguards Helm owners are using – particularly with chunkier tyres.

My fave 2.5in Verdict doesn’t fit with my fave RRP Proguard.

nedrapier

Used to get a big bang on bottom out from the fork crown on the RRP Proguard. Less of a problem with a muckynutz job. and bottoming out less frequently with more volume reduction on the volume reduction thinger.

Not really a tyre issue, though. I was using 2.4 Wild Enduros and 2.6 XR4, in case it matters!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m using a mudhugger evo. No issues at all with a Verdict 2.5 (ace tyre!)

chakaping
    Free Member

I was using 2.4 Wild Enduros

I’ve had to resort to using a Wild Enduro myself. It’s alright but it’s just not the same.

I’m using a mudhugger evo. No issues at all with a Verdict 2.5 (ace tyre!)

Amazing, that’s just what I needed then, ta.

Yep, best tyre evs.

nedrapier

Ha. Turns out it’s the mudhugger Evo I’ve got, not the mucky nutz. Knew it didn’t seem right!

chakaping
    Free Member

Mudhugger has arrived. I’ve got the zip tie version.

I’m curious as the holes for the ties aren’t actually in the lowest part of the guard, there’s a lower bit that sits behind it.

Seems a bit odd, as that’s more likely to foul my tyre.

But you guys have just used the pre-made mounting holes I assume?

andeh

Contrary to what everyone else seems to have said, I found that a WTB Vigilante fouled my Mudhugger badly, and rubbed on hard cornering and compressions. It was the wiggly hooked over bit at the front of the guard. Not had a problem since I swapped to an RRP Proguard, but using Magic Marys since.

There’s not a lot of space in Helms, which I think is part of the reason why nobody seems to make a decent, affordable, bolt on guard. Those Carbon Wasp jobs look tidy, but too spendy for me.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The lowered bit is to give clearance for the crown at bottom out.

schmung
    Free Member

RRP Proguard is rather tight on mine it has to be said. There’s a 3 piece job on thingverse that you can 3D print, but I’d want more coverage and it needs a bit of refinement. I might have to dive back in to 3d modelling and see what can be done as a I know a couple of people with suitable printers.

reluctantjumper

Got an original Mudhugger one on mine, never had an issue with clearance or bottoming out. Have had a few different tyres on that bike too, a 2.6 Magic Mary only just fitted on a 35mm rim!

mildred

I bought a Syncros fox 34 clip on plastic mudguard & took the heat gun to it. It was very easy to slightly reshape it. The difficult part was aligning the 3 screw holes on the fork bridge and making the hole. I used a soldering iron tip to push through rather than taking a power tool near the forks 😩.

It’s good if you want to use large volume tyres as it sits over the fork bridge.

chakaping
    Free Member

The lowered bit is to give clearance for the crown at bottom out.

OK ta, it’ll probably make sense to me when I fit it.

I bought a Syncros fox 34 clip on plastic mudguard & took the heat gun to it.

Advanced level bodging Mildred, kudos.

coynie09
    Free Member

Took the heat gun to my Mubhuggers ( bodgers best friend) No issues at all 27.5 x 3 tyres…

cloggy

I just got the cane creek one and extended it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.