Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cane Creek Double Barrel or custom tuned Van RC??? Thoughts please.
  • mildred

Thinking of one on my 5 – are they worth it? if so, please explain? if not, again, please explain.

I have been thinking of either one of these or a basic Fox van RC tuned to me and my weight, bike etc. Anyone got any thoughts, experiences?

rs
    Free Member

I have the 2011 Van RC on my bullit and it seems fine to me… not much help i know 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

The ccdb is a money no object shock i would fit but its very expensive. I have the 2011 van rc fitted to my five and don’t even think you need to tune it, mine tracks so well taking everything in its stride. I dial a bit of low speed compression in for long fireroad climbs if i ever do them and for bits of road.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As an extensive user of both the Double Barrel, and a Stoy, you can get probably 99% of the performance from a custom tuned Fox/Vivid.

You also have the added advantage of not having an issue with spares, or dealing with the clowns at Stendec.

gingersquirrel

I run a ccdb on my five. I think it is fantastic. I have not tried a fox van shox but cannot imagine anything better than the ccdb. Transforms the five into a completely different beast

jedi

i got an old rc shock on my corperate rocket ™ its got a knocking just like they used to 🙁

arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ash.addy
    Free Member

Have you thought about an Elka Stage 5 ???

heihei

Hobnob – how does the Stoy compare to the CCDB?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here are the shocks I’ve used extensively:

Fox Van RC
    Bog standard Fox DHX Five coil
    Pushed DHX Five Coil
    Fox Float RP23 with and without Boost Valve
    CCDB

The Van RC is great especially when set up specifically for you, your bike and your riding style, but you really do need to know what it is you want it to do before the tuners can set it up perfectly. If all you can say is, just get the best compromise then that’s what you’ll get.

The standard DHX5 is now obsolete and it was fine but the Push tuning does a lot for it, largely because, as with the Van RC above, it gets set up for you and your bike.

The Boost Valve RP23s are excellent IMO, but they do feel quite different to either the coil dampers highlighted above and the non-BV RP23.

The CCDB is brilliant; it has a simple unfussy, composed feel to it, nothing dramatic, in many ways it makes the action of the suspension ‘disappear’ , if that makes sense. It’s kind of like removing a layer of dust or cloud from between you and the terrain your bike is tracking so that you can feel what’s going on without there being any extra information from the damper itself.

So yes, the CCDB is worth it to me. The only way you’re going to find out yourself is the try one! 😈

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek Double Barrel or custom tuned Van RC??? Thoughts please.’ is closed to new replies.