Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cane Creek DB owners what have you moved to?
  • Burchy1
    Free Member

I’m currently running an Inline on my Five which, when working, is a brilliant piece of kit. Only problem is it’s blown the rebound 3 times in 10 months and i’m wondering whether i can put up with the lack of reliability.

So, if you had one what did you change it for??

poah
    Free Member

mine has been bomb proof, no issues at all. only reason I’m selling mine (190×50) is because I’ve moved to a hard tail.

chakaping
    Free Member

Monarch RT.

It’s not as good but it’s what came on my new bike.

honourablegeorge

Cane Creek have upgraded lots of users with unreliable Inlines to DB Airs. FOC in a lot of cases – I’d contact them direct

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Been running a DB CS on a Bronson & it’s superb, not a single issue, that said I’ve heard a lot of negative things about In lines.

New bike has a fancy Fox Evol upgrade shock on it & it feels plusher than the ccdb cs though that may be able to be corrected with tweaking the settings.

Very happy with both overall.

chakaping
    Free Member

If I was a wealthier man I’d be interested in trying the Ohlins STX or Fox Float X2 on my enduro weapon.

MSP

I am also trying to save up for an Ohlins stx for my enduro.

julians
    Free Member

I had a ccdb air on my previous bike. My current bike has a Bos kirk , they feel very similar, the Bos is very good.

Although BOS aftersales service appears to be patchy at best. I say ‘appears to be’ because I havent actually had any need to use it, my shock has worked flawlessly for over 12 months now. Just going on what I read on the internet.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Cane Creek have upgraded lots of users with unreliable Inlines to DB Airs. FOC in a lot of cases – I’d contact them direct

That’s interesting to hear, might look into that as an option.

Chakaping – I’m just about to put a Monarch rt3 debonair on whilst this is sorted as thats what came as stock with the bike (I didn’t sell it as i wondered if this would happen again). Any tips?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Float X2, may have an 11-6 on route though…

The CCDB Air CS really didn’t feel great on my last bike.

The Inline, well, it was crap.

Tracey

We will be running an Ohlins air and Cane Creek inline back to back on our Enduros so should be able to compare them as the year progresses. Hope neither one of us is going to be disappointed

Burchy1
    Free Member

Float X2 looked very interesting but they don’t make one in child sized 190×50 i don’t think.

Just out of interest Hob Nob what bike was it that the CCDB didn’t feel good on?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Was on a new Nomad, persevered with it for way too long to be honest.

Tried the Inline on a Reign. That really didn’t work!

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping – I’m just about to put a Monarch rt3 debonair on whilst this is sorted as thats what came as stock with the bike (I didn’t sell it as i wondered if this would happen again). Any tips?

No sorry. I just set the rebound and ride it.

It’s pretty good TBH, I just miss the liveliness and grip of the CCDB.

maxtorque

3 years with DBair on my current bike, zero issues.

Just building new bike where frameset comes with X2, so we’ll see how they compare (is suspect too close to call in reality)

julzm
    Free Member

Got a DBair cs on couple of bikes and happy with them still. Also got an inline on another bike, still happy (ish) with it but it’s nowhere near as good as the DBair.

OH has a fox x2 on his newest bike (nomad) – he has nothing but praise about it. I’ve ridden it once and it’s very plush indeed. We do a lot of longs climbs so worried initially about lack of climb switch but it’s not noticeable at all. Paired up with fox 36 up front.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Got a DBA CS on my bike, however it had an issue with the bushings which led to it being out of alignment which led to a failure in the middle of nowhere in the Cairngorms and a 8 mile walk/carry back to the car, apart from that it was great.

First ride since it was fixed at the weekend (the frame and shock spent nearly 3 months back and forth to the distributors in between which is another story)and it felt great.

mildred

I’ve had ccdb air & coil, Bos vip’r, all manner of fox & rockshox. I found ccdb air to be dead feeling, fox unreliable, rockshox dead and overdamped, Bos fantastic. The shock worked flawlessly until I accidentally knocked the air valve off & Bos didn’t want to know. Surf sales, however, sorted it in about 3 days and it was as good as new. That said, Bos’ lack of interest put me off the brand so I got rid.

i currently have an avalanche tuned rp23 which is on par with the Bos and a bit better than the rest. Avalanche remove the boost valve and replace this with a shim stack, which works a treat. I recently sent it to loco for a service and was told by Simon that he could do a very similar tune/conversion to the Avalanche; if I was buying a new shock I’d be buying a NOS rp23 & then speaking to loco for a personal tune.

Northwind

X2 with climb switch plz.

CCDBs seem a wee bit situational tbh, my old coil was superb in my 224… Perfect platform for it really, crude suspension that needed a hand from a great shock. The Air CS is good in my trailfox, it’s not spectacularily outperforming the standard Fox but it’s also given me the tools to make the suspension work a bit differently and more to my taste which is just as important imo. (I’m sure the X2 would be able to do the same) But when I asked Last about it for my Herb they just said no, don’t do it- I think a clash of clever shocks and clever suspension linkage design.

Maybe a good start point is, if the bike never came with a CC as standard, approach with caution?

Burchy1
    Free Member

Cheers all, lots of interesting info.

Bike is a five, so

crude

as Northwind states, and i’ve been very happy with the Inline on it.

Might give Loco a call and see if he could do something similar with the Monarch RT3 that came with the frame.

Northwind

Maybe not the best idea but there’s a CCDB Coil CS now… I rode an older Five with a CCDB coil and it was bloody superb on the way down, and pretty horrendous on the way back up 😆 But talk about punching above your weight.

chrismac

Mine is fine.

I did think of putting one on my five when I had one and was advised against it by the rep from Orange. He said that they didnt suit the high pressures that are needed for the fives suspension. Made them more prone to blowing themselves up.

poah
    Free Member

That’s odd given they sell the five with the evol can fox and debonair monarch that need the high pressure.

julzm
    Free Member

@northwind I believe there is a Fox X2 coming spring time with a climb switch similar to what Justin Leov was running at EWS last year.

Northwind

Ooh, cheers julzm.

poah – Member

That’s odd given they sell the five with the evol can fox and debonair monarch that need the high pressure.

Yeah, but Rockshox rate the Debonair to 350 psi, Fox evol to 300psi, Inline maximum pressure is 250psi but even then TF recommended not to use it above 180psi.

paul123
    Free Member

I have a CCBD air CS on my Mega AM and think its great after spending time to set it up properly to archive the feel I want. More grip on the downs, much more pop of the jumps and climbs better than the Monarch plus that I had before on a mega AM. The CCBD bike has 27.5 wheels and the Monarch was 26 so no doubt that make some difference.

If you like to mess and know what you want you suspension to do the air CS is a good option in my view.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cane Creek DB owners what have you moved to?’ is closed to new replies.