• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timba.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cancellation of a cancellation
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

If you’ve paid somebody to do something and then at relatively short notice can’t make it due to another commitment. (In this case hospital appointment cancellation offered to us.) You pay them as it’s short notice cancellation

But what then happens if you unexpectedly become available and (hospital cancel said appointment as consultant is sick.) and the cancelled person now says they can’t come and we’ve messed them around so in many ways fair enough but in others Is it ok for them to then not give a refund or turn up.

Not planning to make a fuss as we did the messing around but interested in the stw armchair thoughts!

martinhutch

Read this a few times now and still don’t have a clue what’s going on.

scotroutes

What?

kelvin

Probably need to be a user of private health care to understand. I’m on year three waiting for some treatment… I’d have done very nicely if paid every time it’s been cancelled/delayed in that time. 🤣

tomhoward

You asked them to come round.
    You told them not to come round, and paid them.
    Now you want them to come round again.
    They can’t come round.
    You want a refund for them not coming round?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So you booked something, then had to cancel too late for a refund, but now want to go ahead.

Sounds tricky, one the one hand the whole point of having paid is because it’s too late for them to book other work (assuming that’s what it was). On the other if they have booked work after all then they’re getting paid twice.

I’d ask them to go ahead anyway as originally planned, and if they say no ask for an alternate date (or a refund). But that might depend on any contract you had with them.

muddyjames
    Free Member
    oldenough
    Free Member

I understand, but unlikely the person you paid will give you your money back.
    If I were them and the slot was open I’d fulfill the service. If I’d filled the slot so was effectively getting paid twice I’d refund your money or at least part of it. But that’s me not people in general. Your probably going to have suck this one up.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thisisnoaspoon has it. Thanks!

It’s childcare, so I can’t imagine they’ve booked paid work, just paid for Afternoon off.

kelvin

Ahh….! Riddle solved.

Cougar

the cancelled person now says they can’t come and we’ve messed them around

That’s two separate reasons.

You’ve cancelled a booking, they’ve filled the slot with a different customer or otherwise made plans for their afternoon off. Seems perfectly reasonable, that’s what deposits etc are for.

They’re saying you’ve messed them around, well… cancelling but paying them anyway, that’s hardly messing them about, they’re quids in. Why would they say that? Did you get the arse with them when they said they couldn’t change their booking? Or are they just going “free money, lols, I’m off to the pub”?

Either way, it sounds like you’re looking for a new childminder. Either they don’t want you or you don’t want them.

zilog6128

Is this common practise? Never heard of a tradesman etc charging for a cancelled appointment, most people understand they’re as likely to get sick or need to cancel for other reasons as you are… what would happen if the childminder had to cancel? Would they pay you?

Either way, it sounds like you’re looking for a new childminder. Either they don’t want you or you don’t want them.

this, basically

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks all.

They just said they can’t make it. Everything is amicable- I realise we messed them around.

I was wondering if it is felt to be reasonable to ask for an alternative slot.

db

I think tough. You cancelled them and according the terms you had to pay. They made plans, you now want them to change.

Actually you want to make a fresh booking at short notice for the same date/time as the original and they are saying no, I have plans.

I think tough for you, but would be considering their lack of flexibility a factor for giving them future work.

Cougar

Is this common practise? Never heard of a tradesman etc charging for a cancelled appointment,

The way I read it is that the OP offered to pay them anyway rather than the minder demanded payment? Dunno though.

I was wondering if it is felt to be reasonable to ask for an alternative slot.

It’s perfectly reasonable to ask. Equally, it’s perfectly reasonable for them to say no. 😁

If I were in their shoes, I suppose it’d depend on a) whether I’d managed to replace the booking or would be out of pocket and b) whether I was interested in the OP’s goodwill / repeat custom.

captmorgan
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what’s in there contract/t&c’s.

You could argue that as they are unable to come at the previously cancelled slot that they’ve filled that time with another job & therefore aren’t out of pocket & you’d like your payment back, but it depends on the contract details, if you want to use them again, if they brought materials for the home & how much money we’re talking.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

You wouldn’t get your money back from a nursery.

timba
    Free Member

If you cancelled and have been charged as agreed, that’s it.
    The child-minder/hospital consultant, whoever, has discretion to reinstate the appointment

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.