Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Canal path cycling survey
  • senorj

Done .

funkmasterp

Done. Seems like they are trying to steer towards ‘cycling bad’ from some of the questions though. I use my local canal a lot as it’s just around the corner. Always slow down and give way to walkers. Anybody that doesn’t is just daft.

Also agree with the anti fishermen comments. Get loads of them around here leaving poles across the path. I liked the ‘have you ever been pushed in’ question. Really wanted to put yes and make up a mad story involving thoughtless fishermen and angry old walkers 🙂

irelanst
    Free Member

I use the local towpath a lot, commute (running or on bike) walking the dog and fishing. I’ve witnessed selfish behaviour from all user groups but if I was pressed the most reckless incidents I have seen have all involved cyclists (mainly due to speed).
    Regarding fishing, I often see people with poles across the path (and do it myself). If someone is changing bait, or adjusting something then it will take a few seconds and they’ll ship back out again clearing the path, so I’ll just wait. If they have just left sections lying across the towpath I’ll ask them if it’s OK to step over them, 9 times out of 10 they’ll move them. I also try to avoid the canal if there’s a match on just because it’s so busy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    antigee

Might be worth alerting them that someone is running a ‘survey’ in their name that they’ve no knowledge of…

you could ring or email the guy whose contact details appear at the top of the survey?

Contact
    Dick Vincent
    (National Towpath Ranger)
    0303 040 40**
    dick.vincent@****canalrivertrust.org.uk

edit added a few asterisks to save the poor guy from web scraping stylee contacts

If they have just left sections lying across the towpath I’ll ask them if it’s OK to step over them, 9 times out of 10 they’ll move them.

ok walking running but trickier on a bike and the other 1 in 10 response is usually pointless abuse

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure the survey is legit, the CRT was engaging with a poster above about it on Twitter

mrelectric

I got the link from CRT via Bradford Council, so will be legit.
    “We are currently undertaking a survey of our towpath users and would like to know more about your experience of using our canals.

The survey can be found at the following link – and it would be great if you could take 5 minutes to run through the questions.

Your feedback will be used to inform some of our actions and activity over the course of the next year around our important Share the Space, Drop your Pace campaign. Please also feel free to share further amongst your own networks.

https://canalrivertrust.citizenspace.com/better-towpaths-for-everyone/running-and-cycling-on-towpaths/”

I agree there is in this an undercurrent that cycling is some sort of a problem, but like many above I’m not standing for that. It comes up as a rather snide aside in Local Access Forum meetings from time to time too.
    I’ve not had specific problem with anglers or bikes going too fast, though I heard of one large fast MTB group bellowing “Coming through!” at blind pinch under a bridge; not good. It’s more the occasional meandering stroller or dog walker I’ve found.
    It is important that our voice is heard so it would good if folks do have a go at the survey before 20 Jan 2017. £50 at Wiggle…

If anyone wanted to adapt my main feedback waffle below, please feel free (just don’t ask me to justify it all!).

“Canal towpaths are important amenities for encouraging walkers and cyclists for commuting and leisure and in reducing car use; which is is a essential for protecting the environment and reducing pollution.
    Sharing the space safely and efficiently while giving maximum enjoyment to all does mean that all users should be aware of other’s needs, including ensuring free passage to overtake in both directions. Encouraging traffic to keep to one side or the other would help in narrow or busy areas and reduce speed-related conflict, such as it really exists (incidents tend to overplayed by most incumbent user groups I have found).
    Dog walkers should ensure their animals are under close control at all times and avoid using a long lead that stretching across the path, which can be a hazard to all. Anglers should keep their poles well way from the path.
    Cyclist and runners do need to be mindful that that another’s perception of what is a safe passing speed or distance may be slower or wider than their own. People should expect to feel safe, as well as being so. Finally, a gentle word of warning is preferable for most people to a bell.”

David

donks
    Free Member

Christ I had 10 years of “bloody slow down” being shouted at me on a daily canal commute. I even have friends on the canal who used to tutt when I rode past. My best mate lives on the canal and moans constantly about cyclists.

Ok to be fair I ride at a reasonable speed when the way is clear but slow down to a gentle cruise when approaching boats and other folk but their opinion of acceptable speed seems to be ” get off and walk”… Seriously.

My mate calls his little dogs organic speed bumps.

I have no real issue with dogs, walkers, or fishermen/women.

Runners with **** ear phones in though…. Now that grates as the hear nothing and then get agitated when you “carefully” try to pass.

Thorns are also my major pain in the arse. Not that I don’t expect thorny bushes on the canal side but they are still a bastard. Had to shell out for tubeless wheels filled with sealant to counter up to twice weekly punctures.

chakaping
    Free Member

You should get a bell!

😉

jamj1974

Done

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club.

Remember silent majority tactics, like a sniper don’t give the game away then radio silence 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Canal path cycling survey’ is closed to new replies.