Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • CANADA …. Camper road trip – Suggestions please.
  • lasty
    Free Member

Looking to hire a camper and explore Canada for 2 – 21/2 weeks next year, probably early September and just the two of us ..
    Destination recommendations and must see`s would be much appreciated 8)

scotroutes

We did this a few years back. Started at Vancouver, then headed East to the Kootenays for a while, up through the Rockies and back down via Whistler. We opted to stay in each place for 2-3 days rather than drive every day. The 5th Wheel camper is handy if you want to do this as you can unhook it and then you’ve a mahoosive great pickup to drive around in.

Camper2 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper etc all worth visiting. It was a lot warmer than we thought it would be so I’ll definitely opt for AirCon when we go back.

Moraine Lake

youngrob

If you can include a trip to Vancouver Island, Tofino is a beautiful place, as are the beaches down that stretch of coast. Victoria is a relaxed place to spend a couple of days.

sm
    Free Member

We did that about 4 years ago, best holiday I’ve had. We used http://www.fraserway.com/ for the rv, and went to Jasper, Banf, lake Louise the ice field parkway. We pre booked all the campsites with a mixture of basic (more fun) and full hook ups. I was nervous about the driving but it was easy and well catered for.

sweaman2
    Free Member

There are a few previous threads on this so a quick search should help…

I’m not a big fan of camper vans in the rockies… that’s partly because I get stuck behind them a lot and partly because I don’t think they are the nirvana people thing they are.. They are a pain to park / maneuver and you are limited in where you can access. The 5th wheel suggestion is better but I’m not sure if you can rent them. I’d look carefully at the costs (especially just for 2) and a mixture of tent camping, b&b and hotels might be almost as cheap and give you a much more enjoyable drive.

So with that off my chest here’s some more practical itinery based thoughts…

2 weeks is not long enough to drive Calgary to Vancouver Island and back to Vancouver unless you love spending time in the car. It is more than 12 hours of solid driving time from Calgary to Vancouver in the middle of summer ; that is not 12 hours including a leisurely lunch – that is behind the wheel time.

So bikes / no-bikes as the itinerary would change? My preference would be to do some solid days of driving interspersed with days or more of longer activities but I know other people vary. With that in mind some good things to do that are slightly off the beaten path:

Little Yoho valley – I would look at doing a 2-day backpack into Yoho NP; staying at either the Little Yoho valley or for a more interesting evening at the Stanley Mitchell hut bookable through the Alpine Club of Canada.

Lake O’Hara if you could get things organised in terms of booking slots on the buses. Even if it’s just camping; it is the best place in the rockies.

Lake Louise / Moraine lake are must sees but plan on hitting them early / late in the day to avoid the coach parties (I wish I wasn’t joking). In fall get to Moraine lake early and hike to Wemchanka pass.

I really like the Okanagan around Penticton. Skaha Bluffs for a spot of climbig / hiking and then hit the vineyards in the afternoon.

I prefer Revelstoke to Golden for an on the way stop. Rent some bikes and hit the Mount Macpherson trails. They are cross country but this is B.C.

I prefer Squamish over Whistler – hike the chief; rent some bikes. Sea kayaking is also a must do activity for that area.

Some photos to tempt you:

Charlie on huber ledges – Lake O’Hara by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

Eiffel Lake Hike by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

Stanley Mitchell hut by Mark and Liz in Canada, on Flickr

scotroutes

We hired our 5th Wheel from these guys.
    http://www.allwestrv.ca/2013/welcome.php

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘CANADA …. Camper road trip – Suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.