Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Canada, anyone went and not enjoyed it?
  • slinkybike
    Free Member

Work travel in ths sticks you will met them.

Plus one on moving to Squamish’s close to Vancouver but not in nofuncouver and close to Whistler. Good mtb, rock climbing and snow on your doorstep.

martymac

thanks guys for all the responses, ive been at work and didnt get in til 1am, and im going back to work in an hour, so im not ignoring it all.
    my wife has registered an interest for more info, its an internal position with mcdonalds.
    we will find out more info soon, but as long as its not a total s**thole i think we will go for it, as mentioned above, if we dont, we will spend the rest of our lives wondering what if.
    both of us are into mtb, both of us love (and used to play) ice hockey, and we are more interested in winter sports than lying on a beach somewhere.
    i had never been abroad before we went to ottawa last year, and it was an eye opener for me to find that the kind of lifestyle i want to lead is considered normal over there ie: biking everywhere when the weather is good, playing pond hockey when its winter etc.

_tom_
    Free Member

the kind of lifestyle i want to lead is considered normal over there ie: biking everywhere when the weather is good,

The video job I interviewed for allowed for flexi time so you can get a few bike park laps in the morning if you fancy working a bit later in the evening, or vice versa get in early to leave in the afternoon to make the most of the extended summer evening bike park hours 🙂

I never felt any of the people I met at the bikepark were unfriendly, I usually got to share a “funny” cigarette on the lift up with the randomers I’d go up with 😛

martymac

lol, i vividly remember, way back in the early 90s, i was driving my mates car and he rummaged around in the glove box for a bit before producing a lump of hash the size of my fist.
    him: so, what you think?
    me: great.
    pause for a few seconds
    me:what is it?
    i just didnt know.
    really not my scene tbh, ive never tried it and see no need to, i rarely drink alcohol either.
    however, 6 red bulls and im whizzing my tits off.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience of retiring to Canada, in particular health insurance issues?

Marin
    Free Member

Chic Scott stayed at my house in Liverpool he is The Man. Spent 3 days drunk in Montreal which was nice but not very helpful to you. Go and have a looks you can always come back.

brooess
    Free Member

My Uncle lives in Vancouver. He’s been there 40+ years and enjoys it. I gather the weather there can be pretty shoddy – it comes straight off the Pacific.
    The Economist reckons they’re about to have a massive housing bust tho, which may or may not lead to less favourable economic times. I would def do some research around the state of the economy on that basis…

13thfloormonk

_tom_ that was a good link, I’m already well versed in the buses to/from the North Shore, but hadn’t considered a link to the SSC!

walleater

Rorschach – Member
    Walleater offa here has been there 10 years(ish).It’s hard to work out whether he likes it or not because he’s such a miserable shyster all the time.

Yes, I had to get up early to get driven up Mt Seymour in order to ride a bloody bicycle down a hill in order to get the dog some exercise. Then I had to drink over priced beer (that the in-laws bought…) at 2.00pm on a patio, and the sun was waaaaaay too bright. Now I’ve got to go out and drink more beer in a pub that is 20 minute walk from our apartment. 20 MINUTES!!

There’s certainly a lot of self centered people in Vancouver. Good luck pulling out of a junction on to a busy road, and if you are following someone through a door way, get ready for the door to get slammed in your face. We also have no shortage of stupidly rich people, and yet have a full on slum area with people dying on the streets. I certainly don’t regret coming here, but there’s no shortage of dicks here!

JoeG
    Free Member

JCL
    Free Member

The Economist reckons they’re about to have a massive housing bust tho,.

LOL! I wonder if the Economist realises the estate agents out here have offices in Beijing with an inexhaustible supply of buyers willing to pay 100k over asking without even seeing the property in the flesh.

plumber
    Free Member

mamadirt – Member

Anyone have any experience of retiring to Canada, in particular health insurance issues?

I hope you are incredibly rich

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d do it for a short term work posting. I’d try pretty much anywhere on those terms. It’s a great way to see the world.

mamadirt
    Free Member

If only, eh plumber? Been doing a bit of homework and permanent residency is out of the question – I seem to fail the immigration questionnaire on all counts 😥 , but health insurance for visitors goes through the roof.

scottfitz
    Free Member

sweaman2 – Member
    As above. You need to narrow it down a bit.

I’m in Calgary, have been for almost 4 years and can’t see myself coming back.

But it started snowing in October this winter and only stopped towards the end of April. That is a long winter if you do not ski or simmilar. I like the people but I mostly mix with bikers, skiers and climbers which is no different to the UK.

Any specific questions though feel free to ask. There are threads on here as has been done before. I have some questions could you PM me please mail in profile.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Canada, anyone went and not enjoyed it?’ is closed to new replies.