• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Canada and America – year out / summer out advice please
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_OAB is getting himself organised somewhat for leaving school next year. He is a straight A’s student, looking to go into some kind of Design/Engineering/Robotic/Mechatronics.

Before that though, he is thinking a year out (or more) which I am totally behind. In his ideal world this will be Whistler with his bike. However a couple of folk have now said that Whistler is overly competitive for summer / year out jobs (so pay is crap) and is expensive to live (comparatively).

He is only 17 when he leaves at Easter. He already has a job at McD’s and they are ideal for transferring world wide we are told. He is a hard worker and all round nice chap.

Talk to me about

a) is being 17 an issue and

b) alternative locations with amazeballs riding

c) suggestions of who he can approach.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Met some people doing whistler, 3 jobs and hard work to live in an expensive town.

If hen is thinking of a year out then the classic oz/nz is a idea plenty of good.riding to be has.

Other issues at that age will be any kind of driving, waiting for bike compatible public transport will be tough.

Is na is on the cards does one of the camp America things work out to get him going?

matt_outandabout

camp America

I don’t think they do under 18, plus bosses daughter did it (and I know the outdoor industry) and the pay vs paying your own flights, insurance, medical etc meant that in effect she had a couple of weeks travelling paid for and 10 weeks work – but no spending money at all really. In addition it is a 6 day week, and the camps are middle of nowhere.

He is also looking at a job with Hilton here – and like McD’s they do pay, and can transfer globally easily. Seems a better bet than less than minimum wage, plus they are located in busier places.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well as un unfashionable option if he is looking at a year, working a solid summer in the UK with 2 jobs while living at home to bank the cash then embark for southern hemisphere Summer, you can always catch whistler on the way back through summer 2019

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/work/thinking-about-coming-to-new-zealand-to-work/working-holiday-visa

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa/appl/working-holiday

The Whistler chalet guys might be able to give you some realistic costs of living out there, can’t remember the guys name but if you say whistler 3 times I think he appears 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

not sure on living costs(but most ski resorts with the add on of cycling are expensive) but as far as town/riding and getting about goes id look into Mammoth mountain California – or any of the other North american ski resorts that have diversified they seem less popular amongst the foreign working tourist masses which may help keep the prices down a bit

how ever almost all ski resorts are pricey when there are facilities in use (ski winter,bike summer)  and the good jobs will be dead mans boots some of the lifties looked like they were there when the place was built !

scruff9252

I know you said a year out, but he could do a summer with one of the camping companies in France  – when I left school I worked for Canvas Holidays for a couple of summers in the west of the Country – plenty of sites in the Alps too.

Free accommodation, adequate pay, quite a lot of free food from holidaymakers, decent down time and plenty of girls to chase after…

Quite frankly the best time of my life & would whole heartedly recommend.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If he were mine i’d advise him thusly…..

Leave school at Easter, get a job here  and absolutely cane as many hours as he can work to save up some cash until he turns 18, then go , unburdened by the issues of being a legal minor in most countries and  armed with a bundle of money that he’s worked for himself and a firm  grounding in the world of grown up work.

I’d also be encouraging him to think about getting a Driving Licence ASAP

matt_outandabout

@perchy – UK and earn is an option, and he will be driving ASAP.

perchypanther
    Free Member

How long until he turns 18 after leaving school?

matt_outandabout

17 in December, leaves in April/May.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=gb&cat=wh&#country_category_name

Well he ain’t getting a working holiday visa in Canada until he turns 18.

Probably best check them all out but most will stipulate that

Tracey

Our daughter is out in Whistler at the moment as part of her summer trip with Uni mates and riding pals. She has saved up whilst at Uni ( 2nd year student) and they have been planning since last summer. She is 20

Started off in Europe for 5.5 weeks first in Austria and Slovenia, then down to the Dolomites and back to the Italian Austrian border. Across to Aosta and La Thuile. Last week in Europe was in Verbier before flying to Canada for 5 weeks.

She’s back next week for a week before traveling to Spain and then finishing of in Finale before she starts her 3rd year the following day

She was looking to fit in the PMBA Enduro if she has time inbetween

If you want to get in touch when she is back I’m sure she can give a breakdown of costs and some other pointers

Her intentions were to do some casual work if she needed to top up her funds but dont think she has had to

ebygomm
    Free Member

I don’t think they do under 18, plus bosses daughter did it (and I know the outdoor industry) and the pay vs paying your own flights, insurance, medical etc meant that in effect she had a couple of weeks travelling paid for and 10 weeks work – but no spending money at all really. In addition it is a 6 day week, and the camps are middle of nowhere.

Actually very variable where you end up so it’s a bit potluck. I worked 5 day weeks of 12 hour days, and had the opportunity to work extra weeks which I was paid an additional salary for. I came home with about 1500 dollars at the end of it, even after spending a month driving from St Louis to New York and back. It is true that if you can make the arrangements yourself it normally works out cheaper than going through Camp America or the like. Children of a couple of colleagues have gone and worked at the camp I worked at by applying direct. Although under 18 means it’s not an option anyway.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Don’t know if this would appeal?:

https://www.workaway.info/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gap Years For Ages 16, 17 and 18

Probably worth a read also with some specifics about being under 18 and what some of the obstacles would be

rickmeister

How about staying in That Europe on the Med coast, somewhere such as Finale, or an internship with a company?

matt_outandabout

Cheers Mike.

The boy’s heart is set on Canadialand it seems…

qwerty
    Free Member

When i was younger*……….. i had great experiences working** in backpackers in Moab & Taupo, with my bike, got to meet other travellers from all over the world, worked a bit for rent / wages, got to ride my bike in some awesome locations.

* think: rigid forks (saw my first Mag21Ti being riden by Charlie from Poison Spider), power grips & AXO Pony…….

** illigally – but i’m sure your son could do it legit & maybe pre arrange employment at a specific location for a set time period

qwerty
    Free Member

Aww, Canada, if it were the U.S.A he coulda taught English as a foreign language……..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The boy’s heart is set on Canadialand it seems…

Rather you than me with the chat about the visa then!!

sweaman2
    Free Member

As has been said above Whistler is $$$$ even for Canadians. 18 is the minimum age for lots of things (including drinking in Alberta but in BC it’s 19) and somethings might be tricky when younger.  Have a read of https://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards/employees-under-18.html to give you some idea of what restrictions might be in place.

Banff / Canmore area is still expensive but (probably) cheaper than Whistler although more hiking and climbing than dedicated biking like in Whistler.  Another option would be Fernie but it’s quite a small town (especially compared to the likes of Whistler).  Unlike Whistler they are however looking for people to do work….  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fernie-worker-shortage-spring-job-fair-1.4652011

If you want more thoughts on Canada (albeit from the perspective of a 40 year old in Calgary) then feel free to drop me a pm.

rs
    Free Member

If he’s set on Whistler, check staff housing, don’t know how much, but likely less than the $500/night hotel rates!

https://jobs.vailresortscareers.com/whistler/content/Whistler-Blackcomb-Housing/?locale=en_US

andyl
    Free Member

are we talking gap year at the end of A levels? Surely he will be 18 then? You should be 17 during lower 6th and 18 during upper 6th.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Canada and America – year out / summer out advice please’ is closed to new replies.