Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • can you work for two firms at once?
  • armchairbiker

Here’s a big cry for help!

Just resigned from current job and want to join new firm next tuesday. Because new firm is competitor, I’ve got no more work to do in my current place.

However can I overlap with the new employer? The first week is internal training anyway. Would anyone notice or find out?

I need to confirm with my new employer by 4.00 today

druidh
    Free Member

Only your current employer can tell you. There may be some restriction in your contract.

johni
    Free Member

IME if you are going to a competitor they show you the door to stop you nicking their ideas etc but as you resigned you’ve probably done that already.

It depends on how grumpy they want to be I guess.

mrmo
    Free Member

check your contract, check your notice period.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

wont you get hammered by the tax man?

davey_clayton
    Free Member

Explain your situation to your new company and ask them not to put you on the books til your current contract has ended.

armchairbiker

notice period is a month. Yes they sort of want to show me the door asap. (its saves them a month’s salary)

Manager happy to let me go early as he understands why I am going. Internal HR are v poor – they read my resignation yesterday and then did nothing until I chased them.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

They normally pay you “garden leave” if you are going to a competitor, ie. you get to sit at home for your notice period, not stealing ideas / info from them and they pay you any way.

If they want you out ASAP I would ask for your notice period (as your contract) to be paid for up-front.

SSP

Moses

I have been paid twice in similar situations.
    So yes, start work asap

armchairbiker

moses – cheers for that. I did make the mistake of mentioning it to the new firms HR dept. opps. Think I can keep quiet for a couple of weeks anyway.

Its a case of don’t mind p*ssing off old firm, just not the new one on my first week

MrNutt
    Free Member

in my experience contracts stating that you can’t work for a competitor are actually a load of bollocks, I had one when I used to work in IT sales and my previous employer threatened to sue me if I joined the rival firm, I sought legal advice (the new employer paid for it) and the outcome was my old employer was given the option to supply me with a minimum of 12 months salary to prevent me joining the competitors company for 12 months or back down and sod off, which they did, then went pop 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all depends on the attitude of your current employer and what is in your contract.

Ask your old boss and tell your new one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘can you work for two firms at once?’ is closed to new replies.