• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Can you use narrow wide on 2 x 10?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Anyone done this? I have a suspicion that it might not be possible.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well they’re not designed for the chain to come off so I can’t see them shifting too well to be honest

theotherjonv

No – the point of n/w is to hold the chain onto the chainring so it won’t jump off*. To be able to shift on a double (or triple) you need it to be able to release from the ring as the derailleur moves across.

* thus enabling you to run a single ring up front with no derailleur or chain device to keep the chain on.

aracer
    Free Member

What happens when the narrow parts of the chain meet the wide teeth on the chainring?

z1ppy

No ramps so shifting up would be a bitch & as above… though some ppl have posted about fitting a granny ring and then manually transfering it between the two, as a get out of jail gear.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thanks, I didn’t think so because a) the chain wont derail very easily and b) I didn’t think there would be any shifting ramps in the ring so enable a change from small to big ring. I was just wandering if anyone had tried it though.

theotherjonv

What happens when the narrow parts of the chain meet the wide teeth on the chainring?

also a very good point!

jam-bo

while we’re at it, can I get a 33t N/W ring?

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t be silly, jam – that’s far too big, what you want is a 31.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was just wandering if anyone had tried it though.

I’d be surprised if anyone would admit to being so stupid.

igm

What you want is a half link chain and a half link specific narrow wide ring – 31 or 33 now available.

Half link chains – not just for SS anymore.

Honest.

PS does anyone know if that might actually work (ignoring the fact that such rings don’t exist)?

AlexSimon

Halflink might work igm. Each tooth would have to be tapered. Not sure whether it would hinder the grab/release points top and bottom of the ring though – it might.

D0NK

I’d be surprised if anyone would admit to being so stupid.

someone I know was sold a NW ring for his 2x geared bike. When I quizzed him about it he admitted he may not have explained his needs very well/had been in a bit of a rush when he was in the shop. Think he did a small ride on it before I suggested it may be a bad idea, crap shifting didn’t jam tho – since removed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

What’s needed is a NW ring where the teeth can retract allowing the chain to drop to a granny 😀

Think I’ll start a kickstarter and ask people to give me a £million to develop one 😛

D0NK

PS does anyone know if that might actually work (ignoring the fact that such rings don’t exist)?

for 31T wouldnt you need an overall chain length that was a multiple of 15 (paired) links long and have the requisite number of halflinks in just the right spots to make up the full length.

depending on your halflink design you get ..nwnwNNwnwn.. so line up your half links with the right spot on your matching 31T ring and off you go.

doable – I think – but probably not worth the bother, too slack or too tight a chain length, having to mount the chain exactly right when you do wheel changes, too much of a PITA, plus dunno what the half links would do to chain retention.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Can you use narrow wide on 2 x 10?’ is closed to new replies.