Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Can you use a triple front deraileur on a compact doubel?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve got a GT Grade Flat Bar which I’m converting into a drop bar bike, but have a question about the front mech. Currently the bike has a triple chainset but I’m looking to put a compact double on there, my question is – could I adjust the limit screws on the front mech to make it work with the double?

Cheers

simondbarnes

Yeah, it’ll work fine. Doesn’t work that well the other way around.

dai3015
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’d say it won’t work fine. Sure it’ll shift but not well, in my experience.

leebaxter
    Free Member

I have this on one of my bikes, and it works perfectly.

alric
    Free Member

won’t the chainring be too small for the mech?
    like this spec: 44-38 tooth outer ring compatible,- if the cage is designed for a larger chainring, will the chain fall off more?

antigee

Usually i try to match the mech to the chainring sizes by using mtb mechs for combinations that are near to mtb sizes having said that plenty of cx racers with 105 mechs pretty versatile

simondbarnes

won’t the chainring be too small for the mech?
    like this spec: 44-38 tooth outer ring compatible,- if the cage is designed for a larger chainring, will the chain fall off more?

The GT Grade comes with a road triple with a 50t chainring. A normal compact double has a 50t chainring.

dai3015
    Free Member

That’s what I was hoping for – I’m looking to swap out the Sora Triple for a 50/34 compact

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Can you use a triple front deraileur on a compact doubel?’ is closed to new replies.