Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can you use a hope bleed kit on shimano brakes ?
  • dyna-ti

As in the funnel bit. Does anyone know if the threaded section is the same so I can utalize my Hope bleed kit rather than buy a shimano one. I’ve a number of big syringes for measuring out epoxy but its the funnel bit that would be nice if its all the same

Or am I just being a cheapo.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be worried about cross contamination of the different fluids. They really don’t play well with others system. For £4 I’d buy a dedicated funnel.

Tracey

As above I would be worried about cross contamination. Our Shimano bleed kit and SRAM bleed kit are kept in separate drawers to ensure this can’t happen.
    For what they cost its not worth the risk
    I acquired a spare Shimano one but gave it away at a race when someone had forgotten theirs. It’s one piece of kit I won’t lend out as it could turn into an expensive favour
    Some one one here may have one they no longer need

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m el cheapo,I just use a reverb syringe with plunger removed – screws into lever nicely.Then I pop the plunger back in when finished to stop oil escaping on removal.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

If you’re worried about cross contamination surely you could just clean the funnel with some spray brake cleaner and dry with paper towel to remove residue of the “last” fluid?

Rubber_Buccaneer

If you’re worried about cross contamination surely you could just

keep totally separate kits for each. Why would you do anything else?

dyna-ti

I’d be worried about cross contamination of the different fluids. They really don’t play well with others system. For £4 I’d buy a dedicated funnel.

Ahh, i was under the impression it was a kit for £25. I’ll look again and pick something up. As to cross contamination, the hope one is metal and easy to clean, Were it possible I dont think that would become an issue.

escrs
    Free Member

I use the same syringes for Shimano and Hope/Sram bleeding

Just clean out the syringe and hose after every use and you will have no problem, been doing this for years and have had zero issues

coatesy
    Free Member

It’ll fit the shimano port fine, used mine on one recently as the threads on the plastic shimano ones eventually wear out. Just make sure you clean it properly after use, as if the o-rings are the same material as their brake seals, you’ll end up with them turning to chewing gum.

thols2

If you’re worried about cross contamination surely you could just clean the funnel with some spray brake cleaner and dry with paper towel to remove residue of the “last” fluid?

Yeah, I think the contamination thing is slightly exaggerated, if you clean it, it’ll be fine. In an emergency, I’d do that without worrying about it but I have separate kits for mineral oil and DOT brakes. For the minimal cost of a bleed kit, it’s much simpler to have two kits. Also, in an emergency, you can generally just use a plastic squeeze bottle an bit of hose on the bleeder on the caliper.

bigyan
    Free Member

Some mechanics use the Hope cup with an o ring change on Shimano as the cup is more durable.

I would say slightly more care is needed with the metal cup, with the plastic cup if you damage the threads its going to be the plastic cup, not the brake lever.

The new Shimano bleed cup also has a partial lid ring which is handy for more extreme angles without spilling.

DezB
    Free Member

the threads on the plastic shimano ones eventually wear out.

Blimey! How many times are you bleeding your brakes to find that out?!

coatesy
    Free Member

Not my brakes, wouldn’t have ’em if you paid me :). Do hell of a lot in work, so they don’t last more than a couple of months,made my own on the lathe for work, bought a Hope for home use when they came out.

endomick
    Free Member

So are people with seperate kits not cleaning out their syringes etc after bleeding or do they believe hot soapy water following by a squirt of muc-off cleaner isn’t enough to avoid contamination, maybe they have seperate teaspoons for their coffee and yoghurt 😀
    Anyway it’s good to know the threads are the same, so basically Hope users can just buy the £7 special mc cap and use a shimano funnel instead of buying a full Hope kit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

So are people with seperate kits not cleaning out their syringes etc

I wipe them and stick them back in their separate boxes. It’s not that I don’t believe you can clean them (though I’d have my concerns about any seals/O rings) more that I couldn’t be bothered with all the cleaning

dyna-ti

Thanks for the info @Bigyan.

I’ll probably go with just getting a kit on info, especially if theres a possibility of damaging threads. The hope screws first into a brake specific cover so you cant mess that up, but part of the brake, i wouldnt like to risk it for the sake of a fiver part

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can you use a hope bleed kit on shimano brakes ?’ is closed to new replies.