• This topic has 107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Can you tell your 'class' from your possessions. . .
  • tjagain

Nope. I only have one of those – a few vinyl records that have not been touched for 20 years and I am as middle middle as they come. Nurse son of teachers.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

They seem to have the strangest list of items – where are the burr grinders etc?

RichPenny
    Free Member

vinyls

I am going to post that **** some anthrax.

jimdubleyou

I’m pretty sure I bought a spiralizer the last time this thread came up

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Ah – please ignore if it’s been done already

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Double posh me

Our book case is bigger than the tele

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Proudly middle class, just not the middle class that they are projecting.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have old vinyl records. That’s it.

But then again I don’t even come close to being whatever middle class is?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s clearly accurate: I am working class and I own none of those items listed.

thenorthwind

Tenuously related…

I was on a train between Manchester and Leeds yesterday. A group of 30-somethings were discussing breakfast cereal. One of them had this insight: “Porridge: that’s what posh people ‘ave. It’s just Ready Brek though int it?”

hooli

Zero for me but I think that is because I am tight fisted rather than anything else 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Middle class is about being educated and balanced enough not to have a chip on the shoulder.

Edukator
    Free Member

I own two, some old vinyl and a woodburner (the only heating in the house) but don’t know what four of them are, and they sound so naff I can’t be bothered to Google. Ignorance is bliss.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Ha ha you’ve just made me laugh CaptainSQ I know plenty of middleclass people with chips on their shoulders. Although they are probably lightly fried hand cut sweet potato chips, rather than McCains

fasthaggis

Some people are in a class of their own.
    Don’t be a sheep. 😛

breadcrumb

Smart TV, Dyson, BBQ, wood burner (x2), and coasters.

I’m really not middle class in the slightest!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bbq and woodburner here

To be fair I had a bbq when I was a student also.

benp1

Oops, 8 here

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ha ha you’ve just made me laugh CaptainSQ I know plenty of middleclass people with chips on their shoulders. Although they are probably lightly fried hand cut sweet potato chips, rather than McCains

Not the real deal. Obvs.

aP
    Free Member

8 here, however I don’t see myself as middle (middle) class. After all I have to work to pay for things.

vickypea
    Free Member

Zero for me!

slackboy

It quite simple. Glance left and right and count the number of chips on each shoulder

no chips = upper class
    1 chip (on the left) = middle class labour voter
    1 chip (on the right) = middle class tory
    2 chips = working class
    bag of chips = white van man

thenorthwind

I have a 10 year old Dyson we bought off a bloke who buys their warranty returns by the pallet and does them up.

I have a Weber barbecue. I got it off Freecycle.

I have a collection of vinyl.

I have two woodburners, both made by myself from old gas canisters.

My partner bought a spiraliser, much to my dismay.

I have some coasters made out of old sprockets. They’re different sizes but they kind of match.

I’m making a hot tub out of pedauk benchtops I got free from work.

So according to the quiz I’m very middle class, which is true, but I think the key point here is quizzes like this tell you foxtrot alpha about individuals.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What is a spiralizer ?

breadcrumb

It’s strange because I had bree and cranberry paninis for my dinner but balanced it out with chips and corned beef for my supper.

molgrips
    Free Member

Middle class is riding 26ers when you could afford new bikes, because y’know, overconsumption, it’s so bad for the environment.

I have a Weber barbecue. I got it off Freecycle.

That’s MORE middle class than simply buying one.

bigblackshed

Smart TV, but it’s shit. BBQ? WTF? Everyone’s got a BBQ. How can you not buy a “set of matching” coasters? Do you buy odd ones? Henry not a Dyson. Function over form.

Guilty as charged with a wood burner and iMac.

I was once called posh because I was going to lunch.

I’m as common as muck me. Proper dragged up.

slowoldman

Only 2. Vinyl and coasters. The coasters are HMV ones though, so match the vinyl. Extra marks?

ulysse
    Free Member

What is a spiralizer ?

Gods own invention

Zedsdead
    Free Member

captainsasquatch – Member

Middle class is about being educated and balanced enough not to have a chip on the shoulder.[/quote]

What I meant was that I am somewhere down the low level. But that’s okay, I neever understood the class system anyway? I actually don’t even know what makes someone a certain class?
    I work. So I guess I am working class?

stewartc
    Free Member

I need to ask my butler if these items can be found in any of my homes.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Looking at the list and % of ownership – not many middle class people have many of the things in that list.

I’ve only got the vinyl.

CountZero

Well, I’ve got a six year old Mac Mini, so scratching the surface, but that’s about it.
    Although it’s plugged into my seven year old Sony Bravia, so it kinda makes my telly a ‘Smart TV’, I guess.
    And I do have a load of vinyl; it’s all from befor 1982, when I started buying CD’s, so does that count?
    Ah, bollocks, it’s just a load of journalistic crap designed to help socially inadequate idiots feel better about themselves.
    🙄

tjagain

zeds dead – two different systems of classification – marxist where you have the owners of capital and the working class or socioeconomic where you have people divided into classes according to education levels and type of work. As an Engineer you are lower middle class I think.

University education automatically middle class. University educated parents – automatically middle class. Paid monthly – probably middle class.

these things always amuse me as folk claim to be working class when they clearly are not. They might have working class roots ( I do) but so many folk claim to be working class when they are not

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m sure we could put together a better list…

Maybe:

Juicer
    coffee maker
    BMW/Audi/Merc bought new
    Wool carpets
    SIPP & ISAs

Houns

I’d say some of those items are quite chav

rondo101
    Free Member

What is a spiralizer ?

A means of creating your courgetti at home, obvs.

mattyfez

Hot tubs are middle class? Ok then hahaha!

bails

So I guess I am working class?

As tJ mentions above, lots of people call themselves working class when they aren’t. I don’t know if people like to fell hard done by and that they’ve dragged themselves up despite the disadvantages they faced.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jun/29/most-brits-regard-themselves-as-working-class-survey-finds

Britons have clung to working-class values even when they have moved up in the income scale. Nearly half of people in managerial and professional occupations identify as working class.

<- That seems to be as much about attitudes as an economic thing.

I had an interesting conversation with someone at work a few years ago who was moaning about the education system and financial support, and how they have to pay for everything for their daughter to go to uni because the support systems only apply if you’re right at the bottom. If you’re “just managing” like them then there’s no help for you, “and you might as well give up work so you can get some help”. She probably earns somewhere around the national average but her husband is a very senior manager in a £billion business, not quite one of the founding directors, but about as close as you can get without being one. They both get a brand new Audi every 2 years, they bought a brand new VW for the ‘impoverished’ daughter as soon as she finished uni (“but we’re not spoiling her, we’re making her pay for the petrol”), she casually mentioned that they’d spent £12,000 on a family holiday to Thailand which was the year after they went to Mexico, which was the year after the Dominican Republic….

But if you asked her she’d probably say she was working class, or just about in the bottom of middle class. It’s strange.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Can you tell your 'class' from your possessions. . .’ is closed to new replies.