Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • can you straighten a disc rotor (idiot content) help!!!!
  • ampthill

Just freed the pistons on my avid juicy 3s. Putting the pads back my brain was so absorbed with left right on an up turned bike that I trod on the rotor.

A quick bend back sugests it'll never be flat again. Is this correct? Do I spend the afternoon flattening or looking for a new rotor(185mm). Ride set up for tomorrow….

uplink
    Free Member

it'll be fine
    just use an adjustable spanner to tweak it

tron
    Free Member

I could never get my Magura rotor straight enough to work well again. See how it goes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IainGillam
    Free Member

It wont be perfect but as mentioned above you can tweak it back with an adjustable spanner, a rock must have hit mine at BBF as after a lap the I noticed the wheel would barely turn at one point when it was on the stand straightened it up in about 10mins and was good to go. Make sure you give the disc a spray with disc brake cleaner after otherwise you might end up getting oil or greese on your disc and ruin you pads as well!

Iain

Bullet

Are you based in Ampthill by any chance (going by your user name!)? If so I'm in Barton le Clay and have a 185 disc you could borrow until you get a new one…

ampthill

cheers Bullet yes I'm in Ampthill. I'm now on the road

thanks for they very kind offer

John

Everyone else thanks the spanner got my close enough

I thought I'd knackered the pads but cleaning the disc and then round the block with loads of nraking on the hills has got my back to acceptable performance….

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Ampthill is all just golden hares, init.

I think if you've stood on the disc, this is possibly quite a bit different from a rock strike – the sort of thing people recommend fixing with an adjustable spanner.

I squashed my disc similarly, tried bending it back with the adjustable spanner technique and couldn't ever get it back in shape. I think with large width bends in discs – as opposed to sharper rock strikes – it's probably best just to gently bend it back with your fingers. Less likely to do more damage that way… 🙂

Either that or I'm ham-fisted.

toys19
    Free Member

rotors are cheap as chips from superstar and they seem to be tougher than avid ones which are either bent when they arrive in the post or bend soon after. I have 6 ss rotors and all are straight as.

ampthill

superstar components site is down but I'll look into that…

Bullet

No worries, glad you're sorted. I'm on a blue Hustler so may see you out and about on the Barton Hills/Chicksands/Woburn sometime…

ampthill

Can you swap a 185 Avid disc for a 180 Supertsar without moving the caliper?

Bullet

I don't think so – I emailed SS and asked that and they reckon not. I have now managed to get my Hope floating disc to fit again after putting new Fox 32 TALAS forks on. Can't work out why the Hope disc feels so much better than the Avid disc, looks like they are made from the same grade of stainless steel? Whatever, the Hope is miles better so chuffed I can use it again…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘can you straighten a disc rotor (idiot content) help!!!!’ is closed to new replies.