Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Can you still do this (airport/flight content).
  • bearnecessities

I really should do this having always toyed with the idea and had a recent experience forcing me to re-evaluate life, which has rekindled wish.

Take 4 weeks leave.

Pack a camera, passport, Amex (travel innit 😀 ) and some frazzles.

Wait at an airport for cancellations.

First non-innoculation cancellation destination and just take it.

Then repeat at destination after when bored.

Be forced to experience random languages, cultures, sights and people.

Come back with a better appreciation of what I have, or a desire to do something different.

Any experience of whether the airport loitering/cancellation thing is possible, or alternative suggestions of seeking some travel/culture based fulfilment?!

Ta 😀

tonyg2003

For places that don’t need visa or advanced passenger information then, yes. Mainly around Europe would be my guess.

STATO
    Free Member

Some countries can be funny about you arriving with no plans or place to stay booked, but you should be able to convince them you justa bit mad not a drug barron. The U.S is probably a no go tho.

samuri
    Free Member

I agree, it is possible but some places don’t like you turning up without an obvious plan. Expect more rigorous customs checks than you are used to. I’d make sure you have clear explanations for your activities at the ready.

Unless you’re me of course because I’m completely used to having to explain myself since every single time I get on a plane, I will get stopped at customs at one end, searched and questioned. Every single time.

Moses

I don’t get the cancellation bit. Most scheduled full-service flights will have a couple of seats spare, and these days all airlines (SFAIK) charge more for last-minute bookings.

As an alternative, look at Easyjet’s “Inspire Me” app – where can i go to tomorrow, if you like. Or just take the 9am flight from your faveourite airport.
    There’s trains & buses, of course. Take a random flight to Europe, then when you’re bored go to a train or coach station & see what comes in. A move of 100 miles is as much a change of scene as 1000.

bearnecessities

but some places don’t like you turning up without an obvious plan

Are they the kind of place one wouldn’t want to go to anywhere? (aside form US)

Would a link to this thread suffice as evidence of a plan? 😉

EDIT: Thanks Moses, will get that app now. Re: alternative means, good point as I’d rather not waste time sat in airport lounges.

samuri
    Free Member

If those customs programs on TV are anything to go by, Australia and Britain are the places that don’t like you arriving without an obvious plan. 😉

edit: Good luck by the way, I reckon it’ll be ace. I’ve been on a couple of holidays where we packed our bags, booked some time off work and then went to the local travel agent and asked them what they had that was leaving in a few hours. We always got something pretty good for not much money. That was more touristy, sun type holidays though.

Moses

Bear, sorry, it’s a function on their website rather than an app – but still neat.
    I’d just look at where I could get to from Manchester or E Mids or Donny, then flip a metaphoric coin. Have fun, wherever you end up

bearnecessities

Just figured that out after downloading app 😀

Why am I looking at Moscow?

chewkw
    Free Member

Avoid places like USA, Ozland and NZ (perhaps Canada) where you will be seen as trying to take advantage of their generosity.

slackalice
    Free Member

I think there are few countries outside of Europe that will allow you in without a booked means of return/departure out.

I’m willing to be corrected on that though 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

STATO – Member

Some countries can be funny about you arriving with no plans or place to stay booked, but you should be able to convince them you justa bit

of a tourist with money, who will give them some money. 🙂
    Don’t try it in India though, they’re slaves to regulations.

STATO
    Free Member

I couldnt get into Canada without providing an address they could ‘contact’ me. I think others have got in without that tho.

seadog101

Europe by train? Random stations and random places might be fun and probably less trouble than the flight options.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above EU fine, everywhere else would like either a visa to get in or at the very least proof that you will leave and have enough cash to occupy your time there. At best you could get a long chat and a free coffee at the airport, at worst you could not even make it past immigration before returning home.
    Inter railing Europe is probably a better bet and there is a huge amount on your doorstep. I generally allow at least 1/2 a day for even the shortest flight including arriving check in, hang round fly, get out, get somewhere from the airport etc. it can take up to a day even for EU destinations. In that time you can go miles by train and arrive in a city centre not the airport 30km’s from town.

atlaz
    Free Member

I couldnt get into Canada without providing an address they could ‘contact’ me. I think others have got in without that tho.

Whilst you’re in the departure lounge, google for a hotel in your arrival city. I’ve always given my first night hotel and that’s it; they never give a shit about where you’re going after that. Usually if immigration get funny, they’re more likely to be funny about wanting to see a ticket that leaves their country (know people refused entry to the UK for that exact thing). Personally though I’d plan a little bit so you have the maximum enjoyment. Set a maximum and minimum distance, a max price and max travelling time and work out where sounds most fun/strange/different and have at it.

jonba
    Free Member

Oz and nz will be fine. I arrived in nz with no accommodation booked or real plan. The immigration officer gave me some good advice on places to stay in Auckland. I said my plan was to travel around for three months. Loads of backpacking gap yah youths do the same. Return ticket and a supply of funds is required to prove you are able to support yourself.

jon1973
    Free Member

Have you thought about buying a one month Interail ticket?

Pieface

Hitch hike round the world for a complete experience

bearnecessities

Have you thought about buying a one month Interail ticket?

Just googled; that is perfect! £585 for a month’s train pass around Europe? Baragin!

atlaz
    Free Member

My parents (in their mid-60s) just backpacked around Eastern Europe for a month with one of those. Really enjoyed it when it wasn’t pissing it down

tonyplym
    Free Member

Same money would get you to a hub airport in the Far East (Bangkok). Then possible to travel around very cheaply using local buses or trains. Did this for a couple of weeks last year – travelled into Lao, then on to Vietnam – only pre planning we had to do was get Vietnam visa in advance. Ended up spending an average of less than £20 a day for EVERYTHING – travel, food, drink and somewhere to stay each night.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Are you really Edward snowden?

bearnecessities

Are you really Edward snowden

😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the only other floor in your plan is Amex is only any use for the little box in the hotel room to put a card in to keep the lights on.

Pigface
    Free Member

I couldnt get into Canada without providing an address they could ‘contact’ me.

I was worried about this when I arrived in Vancouver to cycle down to Mexico, no problem at all, just wished me good luck, same as getting into the States from Victoria to Port Angeles on the ferry. No problem, I didnt have a return ticket out just the bike and the BOB trailer. Mr Custome guy called me a dumbass when I filled out my visa card all wrong and the bike fell over.

andytherocketeer

For US, only had to put address of first night on the form. We only booked first+last nights at a cheap Motel6 (part of Accor/Ibis etc.) near the airport.
    Either way, I’d google and book something for 1st night anyway – just one less thing to worry about.

KLM used to be handy. Every Thursday lunchtime they’d post a list of destinations where you could fly the next morning (or the Saturday morning?) for like €10 all in, and return any time after Sunday lunchtime within a month. Might be a few weeks before a destination comes up that you fancy going to. Prague and Manchester used to come up every other week.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Can you still do this (airport/flight content).’ is closed to new replies.