Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Can you run a 26" Inbred frame with 29er wheels ?
  • righog
    Free Member

I was thinking of getting an extra set of wheels for the inbred, the rigid on-one forks will take a 29er wheel and it looks as though I could get a 29er wheel in the frame if I stick to small tyres.

Anybody done this ?

andyh2
    Free Member

A 700 x 37mm will definitely fit in the rear, could probably go up to a 40-42mm tyre.

zbonty

Interesting idea. I had half considered it myself as my trusty Inbred is my general purpose/commuter bike/the only bike i ride actually now.
    Though i currently run 1.5″ tyres so would need to go back to skinny tyres. And build new wheels of course.

takisawa2

Can’t quite squeeze a 1.25″ on a 29er rim into the back of a Carrerra Subway. Hits the cross brace. Thinking off taking a dremel to it.

andyh2
    Free Member

37mm = 1.5″ so tyres wouldn’t have to be narrower.

They’re heavier than 700 x 37mm tyres but 26″ Big Apple tyres feel good on road on an Inbred

Northwind

Big Apples are great on the road… I’m using my proper roadbike to commute just now, it’s faster than the commuter but it feels like my teeth might fall out, the Apples are a magic carpet by comparison.

They look great too. Not that I care about such trivial matters 😉

rOcKeTdOg

27.5 will fit betterer

shortcut

What is wrong with using 26 inch wheels in a 26 inch bike? 700c / 29er road rims and touring or cross tyres should fit though.

br
    Free Member

Be careful on frame sizing though, as there is no way you’d get a 29er in the back of a 20″ 456, but the smaller 456’s seem to have more room.

rewski
    Free Member

I was thinking of trying it on my trek 8500, currently got a set of schwable marathon plus road tyres and there looks like room.

righog
    Free Member

Shortcut..The Rear wheel on the inbred needs replacing and I have just changed the front fork to a rigid, and there is loads of room for a bigger wheel.

I was planning at some stage to get a 29er frame ( but not just yet ) so If I can run 29er wheels now It would just be a straight frame swap when I get the new frame.

This bike is for the local disused railway tracks, so only needs slick tyres.

failedengineer

Mmmm. Wonder if I can fit big wheels on my RC200??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Can you run a 26" Inbred frame with 29er wheels ?’ is closed to new replies.