• This topic has 33 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by packs.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Can you ride near Stonehenge?
  • Pook

I’m doing a job near Amesbury in June and would love to take the bike. I’ve just had a look at the map and see some intriguing looking trails near Stonehenge. How close can you get? Those paths look footpathy but I’m thrown by the different marking on the 1:25000

Pook

Bump to make it appear.

paton
    Free Member
    lesshaste

I’m local, and frequently ride through on the bridleways from Druid’s lodge and Spring Bottom farm up to Larkhill, which takes you out onto endless gravel across Salisbury plain.
    This gets you to within a couple of hundred metres of the Stones, the footpath that passes closest, seems to attract the security people if you use it, trying to usher you on so you don’t get a free look!
    I also ride some of the paths off the bridleways to link up legal routes and have never had any aggro, its a massive open area with hardly anyone there, they are all honey potting around the Stones.
    The area just south of the A303 is infested with Barrows and is a SSSI so is definitely worth a trip after work.

stumpymark

Just googled “honeypotting” whilst having my morning coffee. Thank you for that mental image, 😂

mikertroid
    Free Member

@lesshaste

I’m in the Nadder Valley so occasionally head that way…used to be in Shrewton so close to stones and echo your comments.

I didn’t realise the old road (A344) wasn’t a byway anymore, though! 😲

It was pretty hideous what English Heritage did with the whole area at the time: the ugly visitor’s centre and closing the A344 basically or financial gain, leading to that lethal Longbarrow roundabout.

Roll on the tunnel! 🤞🏼

beanieripper
    Free Member

No offense but it’s the most overhyped boring unimpressive thing to look at. We have friends nearby who constantly offer us free tickets, I’ve never taken them up on it. As for security ushering you along a footpath, they have no right. I would be speaking with the rights of way officer…

beanieripper
    Free Member

Get it back to Wales!

mikertroid
    Free Member

As for security ushering you along a footpath, they have no right. I would be speaking with the rights of way officer…

That was my initial thought, but according to the OS map, the Byway that should exist where the old road passed is not there. They’ve removed the RoW on the map.

I was pretty sure when they closed the road it was meant to be a byway of sorts, maybe restricted…

racefaceec90

avebury is much better (and free to boot).

you have the ridgeway right next to it too.

i must admit to bias as i live in devizes and my grandparents are buried in avebury cemetary,but my comment still stands.

salisbury plain has some nice riding i have to add (especially when open days).

lesshaste

Yeah, the old A344 that magically became a footpath, then seemed to disappear altogether didn’t cast much credit on EH. I haven’t used it lately as I’m not too bothered about getting as close as possible to the stones, and it involves being next to the A303 for longer than I would like.
    I take the point about the actual monument, although the context of it (explained really well in the visitors centre) is pretty mind blowing to me.
    The landscapes to the north and south( although blighted by the big road) are very beautiful, or extremely bleak depending on the season. And would certainly be worth riding through in June @pook.
    Honey potting…. sorry, I clearly need to drag myself into the 21st century!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

That was my initial thought, but according to the OS map, the Byway that should exist where the old road passed is not there. They’ve removed the RoW on the map.

I’d check the definitive map, OS is not the arbitrator of whether a PRoW exists

lesshaste

@ransos, definitely gone.
    I think there might be a footpath style gate in stonehemge bottom though, I’ll have a look next time I’m passing.

timbur
    Free Member

Was there a few Saturdays back.
    It’s good open riding albeit a bit battering at the mo as it’s rather rutted and bone dry.
    Did Nrth Romney to stones and back for reference.

zilog6128

No offense but it’s the most overhyped boring unimpressive thing to look at.

only if you are a sad, withered husk of a human being, utterly devoid of imagination and wonder. Otherwise it’s very cool. 😉

Sandwich

Avebury is much better (and free to boot).

you have the ridgeway right next to it too.

As a previous resident of Urchfont I can concur.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Looks like a BOAT to me

nickc

avebury is much better (and free to boot).

In what way better? Both sites are pretty impressive

beanieripper
    Free Member

@zilog6128 I must stretch my withered husk of an imagination to visualize some old hippies stroking beards and chanting to the home bargains distribution centre.

jca

Avebury has a pub in the middle of it for a start…

Moe

only if you are a sad, withered husk of a human being, utterly devoid of imagination and wonder. Otherwise it’s very cool. 😉

or regularly caught in the slow train of traffic? So glad I don’t have to do that anymore!

mikertroid
    Free Member

@lesshaste and @ransos it looks like the old A344 is no longer a RoW, which was definitely NOT what was discussed at EH at a Parish Council meeting in Shrewton a few years ago!

EH have utterly ruined the setup IMHO.

packs

@lesshaste I think there might be a footpath style gate in stonehemge bottom though, I’ll have a look next time I’m passing.

I passed it couple of times last year. You can get through from stonehenge bottom or the security guard said the farmer doesn’t mind people coming in from the avenue (via king’s barrows). I usually just go up the field alongside the main road then join the bridleway. I’m sure the sign said it’s a permissive path. I think they had to put that in when they closed the road?

Here’s the mostly off-road loop I did in October:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35878333

lesshaste

mikertroid, I agree, it is a bit duplicitous of EH, its all about the £ of course, no freeviews thank you, get down to the visitor’s centre and pay your £21.50
    On the other hand, if I was simply moving east to west around there I think there are better ways to do it, ie appletrack to larkhill then out to Rollestone camp across the range, or springbottom to normanton then druid’s lodge berwick st james etc.
    North south remains the same and gets you close enough to see the crowds herded in around the stones!
    Good to hear packs.

uggski

Pretty sure there used to be a Greenlane that passed really close to it. Last time I rode there was when it was still free though so I’m pretty sure a lot has probably changed since then

cinnamon_girl

Used to approach it from Larkhill (Willoughby Road) via a byway that crossed The Cursus. Takes you alongside the fence.

dyna-ti

Go for it. You’re on a bike and can easily out pace any angry druid types.Their cloaks would likely tangle in their sandal’s if they tried to chase you 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

@lesshaste

Agreed, there are plenty of other routes round there.

I want to head up to Everleigh when the range is shut and have an explore of the Old Marlborough Road.

cinnamon_girl
    mikertroid
    Free Member

Cheers CG!

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Years ago before EH we always green lane along there passing the stones on the left to the A303 do like Avebury more mind it is a good route from Avebury to Stonehenge .

garethjw

I’m local, and ride round there all the time. South of the A303 you get a little bit more variety of trails, but plenty of routes to follow. Definitely bring your bike, OP!

packs

@mikertroid I want to head up to Everleigh when the range is shut and have an explore of the Old Marlborough Road.

Old Marlborough Road to Everleigh is always open as far as I know. It skirts the red flag area.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Can you ride near Stonehenge?’ is closed to new replies.