Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can you resist the urge…
  • palmer77
    Free Member

…to go out on your bike following training? I get the whole rest and recover aspect of training regimes, but I am really struggling to do so when the weather is so nice and I have a new bike to ride! Anyone else feel the same?

Stoner
    Free Member

pffft. Stop the training malarkybollox and go out to enjoy riding 😛

medoramas
    Free Member

pffft. Stop the training malarkybollox and go out to enjoy riding

^^^ This!

jam-bo

I had lots of road riding planned this week in a last ditch attempt to get a bit stronger for the fred whitton.

So, I went mountain biking monday night and last night instead.

Still, my cranks died last night so back to the road bike tonight.

Northwind

I don’t really train properly, but if if ever interfered with my actual riding I’d stop completely.

plumber
    Free Member

I go for rides to enjoy myself

I’ve never trained because I don’t compete with anyone anytime other than myself

chrisgibson
    Free Member

I think it depends on what you are riding for. If you are riding to compete and to race then you need a training plan – especially if you are taking it seriously.

However if you are just training to get a bit better then I suppose it is less important to allow a long rest time – after all you are only improving for yourself and riding will do that.

Personally I advocate just riding for the sake of riding, fitness will improve etc, however I am not competing or racing so what would I know?

jools182
    Free Member

Training always sounds like cycling without the fun

Northwind

That’s exactly what it is. Some people like it, but then people are weird.

But! It can make riding your bike better.

whitestone
    Free Member

When it’s like this then just get out. When it’s crap outside and I don’t want to MTFU then the turbo is fine. Yes it’s a bit (well a lot) soulless but it does stop me turning in to a fat bloater.

Rorschach
    Free Member

After racing at regional level (and doing ok) last year I was faced with doing the same again (not that appealing) or stepping up to doing nationals.This would mean doing actual structured training/resting and not pissing about on the single speed and 4x bike quite so much…if at all (which I love).
    I’m liking being fat and slow again :mrgreen:

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s sunny.
    The trails are dry(ish).
    I haven’t been for a run for weeks.
    It’s Wednesday ‘let’s sit down and eat together night’.
    It’s sunny.
    The trails are dry(ish).

TiRed

I structure my training around commuting and a club ride. Then last week I just fancied a nice long ride in the fine weather. Sadly it will be my last for a while 🙁

But recovery is the most important aspect of training. Keep the intensity high, reduce the volume, and go for a nice steady recovery ride now and again.

Recovery rides should be an hour or less. Anything longer is not recovery, it’s endurance.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A training session on the TT bike today certainly was the least fun I’ve had on a bike for ages. Flat boring roads into a big gusting headwind, riding long tempo, lots of traffic, seeing not much other than the bit of tarmac in front of the bike, just not up for it at all 🙁

Am very tempted to dust off the mtb and go get it dusty again on some nice trails.

_tom_
    Free Member

It is a bit, but I still kind of enjoy my road rides. They make the mtb rides so much more enjoyable (from a fun and fitness point) so it’s worth it.

palmer77
    Free Member

chrisgibson – Member
    I think it depends on what you are riding for. If you are riding to compete and to race then you need a training plan – especially if you are taking it seriously.

However if you are just training to get a bit better then I suppose it is less important to allow a long rest time – after all you are only improving for yourself and riding will do that.

Personally I advocate just riding for the sake of riding, fitness will improve etc, however I am not competing or racing so what would I know?

Just to get fitter really, I do enjoy the longer rides too though so it’s not all bad. I am using the fitness and freshness guide on Strava as an indication of recovery. There was also an article in Cyclist a few months ago about super-compensation when after riding/training your body over repairs the muscles and if you time your training right you can capitalise on this.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Commuting is my training this year, no turbo. 4 miles in the morning straight through town, braaaap from the go, alternate days sprinting away from lights/smashing it up “that hill”/5 mins slight uphill gut wrencher trying to keep up with the cars as they flaunt the speed limit! Longer one home, generally 1h30, mixing it up again either flatter speed work or short sharp hill repeats or just a few different hills if I’m feeling STRAVAeee. Always take Tuesday’s and Thursday’s off as I have to drive in. CommuterTraining is currently suiting me rather well, nice short sharp workout in the morning which means I can ride my bike but don’t bother having to get out of bed early ( 😀 ) and a longer ride at night to clear the head! Always up for a Sunday ride, would actually like to be able to ride more but 3 kids…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can you resist the urge…’ is closed to new replies.