Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Can you recognise this from the description?
  • gauss1777
    Free Member

Sorry for the crap thread, but it’s bugging me. I keep finding these things occasionally and they look familiar, but I cannot think what they are. Unfortunately I am not able to post pictures (maybe I need to do something about that).

Shiny metal. Cyclindrical, flat at one end, pointy at the other. It has a thread on the outside. 6mm tall, 5 mm wide and accepts a 3mm Allen key into the bottom.

Pretty sure I’m going to be embarrassed when everybody else knows what it is.

Thanks in advance.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Grub screw

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thrunge tapper.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thrunge tapper.

Imperial?

JohnJohn
    Free Member

grub screw or pedal pins?

fadda

Imperial?

You can get universal ones, now…

perchypanther
    Free Member

You can get universal ones, now…

What a time to be alive!

FB-ATB

Imperial?

I prefer the rebel scum ones.

sweepy
    Free Member

They are grub screws, you probably find them when they fall out of the door handles in your house. You will know for sure when it goes missing from both sides, the square bar through the door migrates to one side, and the handle wont work meaning you have to climb out the living room window to open it from the other side. Don’t ask how i know (twice)

gauss1777
    Free Member

Cheers, it is indeed a grub screw and door handles is likely where I recognise them from. However, I don’t think they are from our doors and none of my bikes pedals have these. I’ll have a look around. I was afraid it might have been a vital, safety crucial part from my wife’s bike I have been fixing 😂.

ads678

Could be from lock on grips.

maccruiskeen

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Wait until the grubs pupate and hatch – then they’ll be easier to identify</span>

timidwheeler

From a Reverb?

dyna-ti

Grub screws on door handles are usually small machine screws with slot drive, and if it came out the handle would come off too.

Cougar

AKA “set screws.” But yeah, I’d call them grub screws also. Used to be ubiquitous in Meccano.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Cone point hex socket set screw.

spooky_b329

Also found in electrical sockets and switches

martymac

Some concentric bottom brackets have grub screws to hold the rotating bit of the shell in position.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Grub screws on door handles are usually small machine screws with slot drive, and if it came out the handle would come off too

Almost every door handle i can think of except door knobs on rimlocks have a handle that is help captive on the collar or plate that is affixed to the door meaning the handle stay in place. But like said above the square bar can migrate out of the handle so that it no longer engages leaving to comedy window climbing.

Ask me how I know (once)

dyna-ti

Go on, how do you know 😀

He didnt say what type they were and as I’ve just made a dozen hexagonal rim lock door knobs, i suppose im a bit bias 😆
    Whats worse is ive secured them all with slotted brass woodscrews not machine or otherwise.

maccruiskeen

But like said above the square bar can migrate out of the handle so that it no longer engages leaving to comedy window climbing.

Ask me how I know (once)

Ha. When I first moved to Scotland I moved into a house – a newlymconverted farm bothy-  that was supposed to have been a holiday let. In anticipation of me taking it on though the owner had accelerated the conversion to have it ready in time.

Every single screw in the house was about a 1/4 turn from being tight enough as a result. All sorts of handles came off in my hand the first few week I lived there.

One day I was having a shower – stepping out of the shower I realised I’d left the towel in the bedroom – damn. Grabbed the bathroom door handle and it came off in my hand. Made a grab for the spindle and managed to poke that though the door and the weight of the handle on the other side meant if fell out.

The only other  exit was through the window – which luckily was ground floor – but it opened into my neighbour (and landlord’s) garden and the only way out of that was through his house.

It was one of the coldest Januarys on record.

There was an under-stairs cupboard in the room and I’d thrown a few unimportant, as yet unpacked boxes in there when I moved in.

So – cold and wet and naked I unpacked them all and finally found some of those weird round-ended scissors you’d be given in primary school and managed to jam them in the hole for the spindle and get my self out – that only took about 45 minuets 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Can you recognise this from the description?’ is closed to new replies.