Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can you patch a latex tube?
  • footflaps

Can I just use Rema TipTop on it, or is it unrepairable?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have you looked at the hole.

Latex tends to rupture when popped

jkomo

I read on here Rema will work. Try it what’s the worst that can happen.

footflaps

Try it what’s the worst that can happen.

I’m riding along and it blows out, I swerve forcing an oncoming coach full or orphans to veer across the road, crashing through the safety barrier plunging to their deaths in the ravine.

robertpb
    Free Member

Many moons ago before going tubeless I ran latex tubes for about 3 years and repaired them with Park Tool Super Patches.

footflaps

and repaired them with Park Tool Super Patches.

I carry those as emergency backup in case spare inner tube fails etc, never had to use them so far.

In fact just ordered more as I had a Park tyre boot fail as it was so old the glue failed, so it moved and led to a rather interesting balloon event…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jYCbNy]Latex inner tube fail[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

I suspect the glue has also gone off on all my 10+ year old Park Tool patches!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Repairs worked on my 19-25mm Vittoria latex tubes ok.

However, these tubes drove me a bit madder for other reasons, they would lose a significant amount of air over 3+ hour rides to warrant a top-up as I’d start to feel the tyre being on the verge of bottoming out! 😮 😆

13thfloormonk

Yep, I had four patches on a Challenge CX latex tube, 2 repairs after a particularly hamfisted attempt to mount a new Limus tyre, and two after pulling out about 4x1cm Hawthorne spikes, should have realised that following a hedge trimming tractor for a couple of hundred metres was a stupid thing to do 🙄

First repairs held for over a year, third and fourth repairs appeared to have held but tyre went down overnight, at which point I gave up and fitted a new one…

bob_summers

I regularly patch the latex tubes in tubulars, unless as mentioned it looks like a bomb crater. Haven’t used them in clinchers for a while though – IME 9 times out of ten they go bang and you’re on the rim before you can get to the side of the road. Butyl tubes usually go down slow enough to find a safe place to pull in.

13thfloormonk

I’m surprised at the sudden deflation comments, I’ve been guilty of a couple of clumsy installations which have resulted in sudden bangs, but once installed successfully any punctures have been extremely slow (e.g. I actually pulled out two Hawthorne spikes during my ride last week, and it was only the morning after that the tyre showed any sort of pressure loss.

How are other people suffering sudden bangs, overheating carbon rims or something?

footflaps

How are other people suffering sudden bangs, overheating carbon rims or something?

Ran over something sharp, bang and deflated in under one revolution…

Brand new GP5000 as well only done half a dozen rides…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jYHXAv]Dead GP5000[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

bob_summers

A bit of metal or sharp stone is enough to make them pop like a balloon.
    I don’t get that in tubs because I tend to run them with tufo extreme from new, but even without they don’t puncture like clinchers.

13thfloormonk

Ah yeah, I could see a big tyre slice doing it, maybe sticking latex tubes in my winter wheels/tyres might be my undoing, I’ve only run them in heavier CX/gravel tyres up until now…

kisherceg
    Free Member

I had used michelin latex tubes for years, used the same tip-top patches to fix the holes as on’regular’ tubes. Never had any issues.

TiRed

the latex means that the vulcanising solution works better than butyl tubes.

sefton
    Free Member

I have them in my road bike…i patched the rear which was cool but it was put away for about 9months as I stopped riding my road bike. First ride out and bang it lost all pressure flying down a hill. Dont think it was the patch that failed….i still use them tho.haha

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can you patch a latex tube?’ is closed to new replies.