Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Can you name a competent UK politician?
  • mattyfez

I’ll start.. Vincent cable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You got my first pick….
    My other thought was Stammer in the doing what he can from where he is.

(International entries Penny Wong from Aus very well respected and did a lot in government and opposition)

mattyfez

You got my second pick lol!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Nicola Sturgeon

tjagain

Nope. Not Cable. sold the post office for half its value and blustered about it. Completely outmanoeuvred in the coalition.

How about Sturgeon? YOu may not agree with her but she is pretty gaffe free, has good values and has made no serious blunders

Starmer? Yet to be tested with any power of course

Patrick Harvie? – Scottish green leader in Holyrood. Made his few msps count.

mattyfez

Nicola is a fair shout. Although how much longer will she be a ‘UK’ politican? 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll start.. Vincent cable.

Yip. But then I am a fully paid up member of his party.

TJ does make a valid point, but I’m willing to forgive that considering Maybots wasted £6bn on brexit and the rest of the conservatives are dinosaurs who really should lie down somewhere in a dark corner and we should lock the cell door on them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Watch out a Lib Dem could give you CPR, transplant their own heart into you and drop you 3 pints of the red stuff and TJ would still complain about something 😉

jimdubleyou

I voted for Vince. I’ll be voting for the LDs in the upcoming European elections :p

dazh

How are you defining competent?

mattyfez

Cable completely out manoeuvred in the minority coalition? Who’d have thunk it. You only had to look at Cameron who wheeled clegg out whenever there was bad news.

iolo
    Free Member

Hywel Williams
    A truly wonderful guy who came from a Social care background.
    When the DVLA buggered up my driving license he sorted it out for me.

frankconway

Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper

mattyfez

How are you defining competent?

Any active MP who does the right thing by the public, (as is thier job) rather than sticking strictly to party politics, broadly speaking.

mildred

Yvette Cooper – most credible politician we have in the UK.

RustySpanner

Angela Raynor hasn’t had a chance to prove her incompetence yet, but I do like her.

Dennis Healey was a pretty decent bloke and our local MP, Julie Cooper has been faultless so far.

Our previous MP, Gordon Birtwhistle was superb right up until he decided to oppose gay marriage because ‘The people of Burnley don’t want it’.
    He promptly lost the next election.
    Idiot.

tjagain

BY that definition Cable certainly does not count. The selloff of the post office was a massive blunder and he should have refused to do it. grossly incompenent. You can forgive it if you want but to claimsommeone who has done this is competent is wrong.

Want a competent Lib Dem – how about paddy pantsdown?

dazh

Any active MP who does the right thing by the public, (as is thier job) rather than sticking strictly to party politics

In that case none of them. How do we judge whether they have done ‘right’ by the public though?

tjagain

Ben McPherson ( none of yo will have heard of him) strikes me as pretty good as well.

Even Ruth Davidson is competent if abhorrent.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do we judge whether they have done ‘right’ by the public though?

It’s a game, just try playing the game….

CraigW
    Free Member

Mhairi Black

FFJA
    Free Member

Dennis Skinner. Legend.

spawnofyorkshire

Hilary Benn

Not a chance. Twice I’ve been at work things with him “answering” questions on a panel. Both times he swerved even the softest of questions from friendly crowds. Everything was just a sound bite.

onehundredthidiot

I’d go with Nicola sturgeon mhari black and Ruth Davidson. There were mutterings that our honourable member was to be offered a seat in the other house if he’d step aside and let her in. Apparently she refused as London far from her family.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Philippa whitford, my local MP, breast cancer surgeon, honest and hardworking, a gem.

rene59
    Free Member

There will be some amongst the 650 who you won’t ever hear about simply because they are just getting on with their job, keeping out of the spotlight away from the circus. You’ll only ever get to know about them if you are lucky enough to have them as your MP and maybe require their services. How many is some though? I suspect not a lot.

bigblackshed

David Lammy.

franksinatra

Rory Stewart is a pretty remarkable person.

oldtennisshoes

Caroline Lucas and Amir Khan (Mayor of London)
    Although Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney are also up there.
    TBH Ruth Davidson is very good too….even though she’s a Tory

ton

dennis skinner.

scotroutes

There will be some amongst the 650 who you won’t ever hear about simply because they are just getting on with their job, keeping out of the spotlight away from the circus. You’ll only ever get to know about them if you are lucky enough to have them as your MP and maybe require their services. How many is some though? I suspect not a lot.

There may be many competent at their current level. That’s no indicator of how they would be once given more responsibility

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Rory Stewart – really knows his stuff when interviewed, actually thinks about things in a hollistic way and his achievements are pretty notable too.

mattyfez

David lammy is a really good shout. Very good speaker on a number of occasions and on a number of subjects.

Shame his peers seem to ignore him. He talks absolute sense with out any of the crap.

rene59
    Free Member

TBH Ruth Davidson is very good too….even though she’s a Tory

I actually thought Annabel Goldie was better, just bad timing for her I think in terms of the ‘resurgence’. I think she would have received a bigger share of the vote had she been in place now instead of before Ruth.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who was the female Labour MP who sadly died at the hands of a moron?

By all accounts, she was a decent sort of person one too few in politics.

😔

tjagain

Aye – Goldie was very good – especially as she engaged with the minority SNP government constructively. The comparison with labour was telling as they sat on the back benches shouting SNP baaaaaaad and thus got nothing

scotroutes

Ruth “line in the sand” Davidson? The one distinguished by her lack of constituency surgeries and notable liar?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Goldie was cringeworthy. No as bad as wee Kezia mind….

scotroutes

Anyone else looking back fondly to when Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine were still big names in the Tories?

mattyfez

Who was the female Labour MP who sadly died at the hands of a moron?

Jo Cox.

Murdered by a timmy robinson type lunatic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Can you name a competent UK politician?’ is closed to new replies.