Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Can you link a sensor to a particular bike profile with a Garmin Edge?
  • gozarch
    Free Member

Just started using a turbo this winter and our Edges (800 and 510) seem to have trouble picking up the right sensor. We’ve got multiple bikes with sensors in the same place and this seems to drive the Garmins crazy, asking you to move away from other sensors and try again!

Is there a way to tell it which sensor to pair with, e.g. by using the bike profiles (at least on the 510)?

Thanks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pretty certain that when you go through the pairing process on the 810 (and presume the 510 also) it does so within the context of the selected bike. Do you have multiple bikes set up on your 510?

Edit: don’t have my 810 with me but looking at the manual seems to confirm that you should be selecting a bike profile, then pairing a sensor. The sensor ID would then be tied to that bike profile.

Double edit: having re-read the post, do you mean that when you initially try and pair with, say, a new cadence sensor, if there are multiple ones then is there a way for you to select which one? I don’t think this is possible. You would need to isolate it and then pair it… but once it’s paired it should then only try and find that one next time you turn it on.

zangolin
    Free Member

For the 510/810 what blobby says – pairing via bike profile. eg. switching 510 from race to winter bike – speed/cadence sensor won’t connect till the the winter bike profile is selected + vice versa.

TiRed

Bike profile registers the ANT id number. This is true on my 500, so i imagine it is also true for the 800 too.

Unfortunately heart rate is not in the bike profile, nor power which is a pain for my powercal when swapping bikes.

gozarch
    Free Member

Right, will have to ‘re-pair’ them tomorrow and see if that does the trick. I have a feeling that when I got my winter bike I just switched it on and it probably paired with the first sensor it found.

Thanks all.

Superficial
    Free Member

You should just be able to re-pair as you say. If it’s an issue I believe you can get around this issue by manually entering the ANT+ ID code which should be printed on the sensor device somewhere.

Don’t quote me on it, but I am sure that I have read on one of the DCRainmaker reviews that one of the upgrades to the 510 and 810 is that a bike profile will store the speed / cadence / power sensors for that bike, which wasn’t possible on the older models.

TiRed

No, the 500 stores separate profiles – but you are limited to (just) three. Mine are as follows

Commuter : garmin speed/cadence
    Road : giant built in speed/cadence
    Race: Bontrager cadence only

The issue is power meters as this is not stored in a profile. i have a stages power meter and a powercal heart rate meter. Moving between bikes requires that i reregister the power meter and heart rate straps, when i switch device (not bike).

The -10 range have more profiles. I don’t know if you can now store power and heart rate monitors in those profiles.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t quote me on it, but I am sure that I have read on one of the DCRainmaker reviews that one of the upgrades to the 510 and 810 is that a bike profile will store the speed / cadence / power sensors for that bike, which wasn’t possible on the older models

Just checked my 810 and it does do this (includes power ID in the per-bike profile too.) The HR monitor ID is one per device, but it is stored.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Can you link a sensor to a particular bike profile with a Garmin Edge?’ is closed to new replies.